Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

tax software?

Tax time again. I'd rather lick razor blades than fill out all those forms and schedules. I've paid people to do them in the past but I've heard you can do them relatively fast by yourself if you use certain kinds of software.

Anyone have any experience with that? Your recommendations would be very welcome.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

We use Turbo Tax every year. Last year I begged my DH to use a company that does taxes, which he did. I thought that since I was a college student, I would do better, which we didn't. So, the software that allows you to be able to call someone, does just a good a job, or better than the people you pay. Btw, my DH is not very computer literate, so if he can do it, anybody can.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We use pro series professional edition. It's been very reliable and it's extremely flexible.
Also depending on your income you can do your taxes online for free without having to buy any tax software.
http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html
Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Thanks Osaka! I will have to have DH look at it and see if it can give him better figures than the store bought stuff. I was told we could take off for rent and such for me being away at school, but the storebought software says that we can't. I am interested to know what the IRS says.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've used TaxBrain. But it's not actually software, instead it's a web-based system where you fill out a short questionaire and they gather all the forms and schedules for you to e-file through their site, taxbrain.com. It's a pretty simple and painless process and they've got free customer support if you need help with anything. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin

I've used Turbo Tax on-line for 6 years. It is fairly easy to use and straight-forward. I tried TaxCut last year (which was a little cheaper), but I found it a little more complicated. Whichever program you use, it is a good idea to stick with the same program each year. This way, you can transfer over data, and have tax comparisons for each year.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

tax software

In the past I have gone to a popular tax place & had them do my taxes. Imagine my surprise when I used turbo tax and found out there were items that national franchise never told me i could deduct! I got my largest refund ever with Turbo tax!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
We used Turbo Tax, too. We also switched to Tax Cut one year but I didn't like it at all - it is more complicated and more work IMO. We've never had any problems with Turbo Tax.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have been using Turbo Tax for over 15 years. I am an accountant. I used turbo tax when I did taxes for a living. Last year was the 1st year that I didn't do any taxes besides the family. I am sticking to that again. I am tired of doing taxes for friends for free. Then they complain that so and so got more back then they did. Never realizing everyone has different tax issues. I am just tired of being used. Then last year when they had to pay somebody call me up and complain that it cost $400 for somebody else to do their taxes. Maybe you should have treated me better and it would of been free. Some people just don't get it.

For my state filing PA has a website that you can file for free. So the only form that I have to hand write is the local. That takes about 5 min.

Charlotte
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

Charlotte -- I can't believe that people have not been more appreciative of you for doing their taxes!! I've used TurboTax for many years and I do the taxes for my dh and myself, and my grown children. I can't imagine myself doing it for ungrateful friends. Glad to hear that you are now only using your skills for your family!

Have a wonderful new year everyone!!