Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Cheap food ideas for approx 100 people

I am having a surprise birthday party for my 29 year old boyfriend. There are going to be around 100 guests. Probably 70 adults and 30 children. I need some food ideas that are relatively cheap and easy. We are going to be at a park picnic shelter, so I will has access to water, a BBQ pit, and electricity. Also, my boyfriend does not live with me, but comes over frequently, so I am disguising the party as my friends 4th of July party. Therfore he does know where we are going and when, and he thinks that I am helping my girlfriend prepare some foods. Basically, I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want the guests to feel cheated out of good food. My initial thought was BBQing hamburgers and hotdogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by bluesgurl; 05-16-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I think the idea of burgers and hot dogs sound great. If you are wanting to go with easy, various chips would be good as well.

Have you invited everyone yet? Have you thought about having a potluck for the side dishes? That would not only save money, but would be fun as well. You could also make potato or macaroni salad since they are relatively cheap to make.

One thing that is easy and cheap to make for dessert is dump cake. It only has 4 ingredients and no mixing! It is to die for and my DH made it for a men's dessert bake-off at church one year and WON! Here's the recipe:

In a 13 x 9 inch dish, dump a can of cherries in heavy syrup in the bottom. Spread evenly. Then, dump a can of pineapple tidbits on top of that--speading evenly. Then, dump a box of yellow cake mix--speading evenly. Finely, chop up a stick of butter evenly over the top of that. Bake in a 375 degree oven until hot and bubbly and lightly golden brown.

This also tastes good hot with ice cream.

Please let us know how everything turns out and what you decide.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member

Hotdogs, hamburgers, macaroni salad, potatoe salad, 3 bean salad, baked beans, and various chips. For drinks you can brew iced tea and mix lemonaid in gallon jugs and if you need soda buy 2 liters on sale. Sheet cake, brownies, and a couple of pies would cover dessert.

You can purchase the ingrediants over time to cut costs buy picking up when they are on sale.

Roberta
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Bluesgurl,

Maybe this link will help, has some great recipes.. Good luck with your party
Georgia :part
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredib...iftyindex.html
Old 05-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

One suggestion would be if you know of different people that have big crock pots, or maybe a couple of small ones, ask them to bring them full of sloppy joe mix, and bring hamburger buns. (plus, you too, if you have a crock-pot) This always worked for me whenever I had picnic birthday parties (providing you have electrical outlets to plug in the crock-pots, so they can plug them in and put on low to keep the sloppy joes warm.)

Just a suggestion, and it doesn't cost all that much, either.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I iagree! Ask people to help out with side dishes, utensils, etc. People don't mind doing this and that way you can be assured that everyone has enough to eat.

If you have an ALDI by you, they sell grocieries at very low prices.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Surprise Party

Potluck is always the best option if you're expecting a large crowd- many folks (including myself) have family members on diets, so this would be a rare opportunity to make that very special "4 cheese macaroni" or whatever their specialty is.
You can't go wrong with hamburgers and hotdogs, but try to find out if anyone you know makes their own homemade pickles, relish and ketchups- far better than store bought and much more festive for the occasion.
If you really want this guy for a lifetime, learn how to can some homemade relishes and preserves yourself-men can't resist them.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Head Moderator

Since you will have access to grills the hamburger, hot dog way can be realtively inexpensive especially if you can shop at a membership warehouse or just pick up sale items at your local groceries. Something I like to do is roast a turkey or pork raost, pull the meat off the and discard the skin , bones, and fat and put it in a crockpot and pour BBQ sauce over it and you have BBQ!

You could also do a huge fruit bowl of fresh fruit that could serve as a pick up and eat whenever you want along with cheeses, crackers and that would be able to withstand the "outdoors".

The crockpot idea is great as long as you have some multiple plugs available or take one of those 6 plug ins outlets. You could do baked beans, whole kernel corn, green beans, or whatever veggies you would like. And if you know most of the people wouldn't mind a pitch in that would be a great quick item for several people to bring.

Have a large cooler with whole watermelons to slice up as needed. You can usually get them reasonable starting about now.

One of those 5 gallon drink coolers would be great with iced tea or lemonade in it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

have your guests bring a covered dish in lieu of gifts... like deviled egss, potato salad..etc. Or you can make some meatballs or lil smokies in a crock pot....Good Luck...ditzy
Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great ideas . Thanks for the share . Very useful .