Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Substitutions & Replacements How do I make homemade sour cream? Can I use milk instead of half and half? And plenty of other questions!

Old 03-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Question Converting full fat recipes into low-fat recipes

Is there a site or chart available that you know of that shows the general conversions for recipes like this ?

For example, I know you can cut back on oil using applesauce in cake mixes but what is the ratio ?

Can I use sweetener ( say Equal) instead of sugar for cooking ? Again what ratio ?

Has anyone ever seen a chart like this ? This would be so helpful to me.

Thanks !!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Recipe Substitutions

ajrsmom,

I have a comprehensive list here:
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/reci...itutions.shtml

I will see what I can find regarding sugar and oil substitutes...
Old 03-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

applesauce instead of oil

I have used applesauce instead of oil for several cake and brownie recipes, in zucchini bread and banana bread, and even in boxed mixes. No one has ever noticed the difference.

Use an equal amount of applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened doesn't seem to matter).

I learned that American pioneers used apples for LOTS of things, including using applesauce instead of oil - one less thing to pack. I told my husband this, and now he thinks it is really cool and brags about it. (I haven't pointed out that I do it to cut fat, not to be clever!)
Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi mrs_helm ! I see youre a Pa-er too !! Where about ?

Thanks for the tip, Ill be putting it to use shortly.

Im trying hard to cut fat from anything that I can. Its hard, but Im trying !!
Old 03-17-2002, 03:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

weight loss,how i did it

Hi there ,I just wanted to tell my story on how i lost 55 lbs in 7 months,It was a lot eiser than i thought.I went on a high protein diet, meaning i ate a whole lot of chicken breasts,fish ,tuna,cottage cheese, yogurt,and other stuff . REMEMBER every thing you eat is NO FAT or FAT FREE,LOW IN FAT
every thing i bought in the super market ,I looked at the lable on the back I looked at the fat content, It was usually no more than 3-4 grams of fat in that one product.If you drink a lot of coffee or tea ,try using skim mild instead of 2% or homo,limit yourself on how muck you drink. They say one cup of coffee to one glass of water. water is the key to weight loss as well,drink as much as you can,I started slow on the cardio, I would go for a long walk as many times per week as i could,My husband was very supportave of me.I would do 100 or so situps every day ,squats,leg raises and many more things
You can do it ,I did

Last edited by cengiz; 03-17-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:24 PM

low fat conversion

When a recipe calls for ex: 1/4 cup oil, use 1/4 cup applesauce instead. I also use egg substitutions; for every egg a recipe calls for use 2 egg whites instead. It can get a little expensive but you absolutely cannot tell the difference. I found a recipe in "Frozen Assets by Deborah Taylor Hughes" called Mix N Match Bread that uses one basic list of ingredients (sweet breads) and then you add 2 cups of apples, applesauce, bananas, etc. and I used the substitutes in it and it turned out wonderful. hope this helps.

Anna
Old 07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Can I substitute yoghurt for oil in granola bars?

well the subject line says it all....
I know about applesauce, but I don't have any of that in the house right now...
Jo-Anne