Wheat Flour substitute for White Flour?

• I am trying to really cook healthy and do most everything from scratch. I want to get away from using White Flour and use, instead, whole wheat flour. Can whole wheat flour be substituted for white flour?

Deo Vindici,
    Suzy Nagy
  • Whole Wheat Flour
    I use it for everything I bake with. I substitute 1 cup per 3 cups of flour for cookie baking, pie baking and cake baking. Otherwise, you can use all whole wheat flour for pie baking, but it will give off a wheaty flavor. I make pizza dough crust with it, along with soy flour and farina. Just remember to sub 1 cup per 3 cups of regular all purpose flour. Everything does taste better.
  • white flour vs. wheat flour
    Yes you can substitute! I've done it with lots of recipes including banana bread and coffee cake. Keep in mind that the finished product will probably have a coarser texture. Best wishes to you in pursing a healthier diet!
  • Good for you!
    I've been experimenting for a couple years and have found that soy flour can be a help, too. Some items taste heavy with just whole wheat foulr, but soy is high in protein and fiber without the heavy texture. In my banana bread, for instance, I use 1/2 ww and 1/2 soy.
    There are also a couple good mixes that help if you're in a hurry. Hodgson Mill makes an all-purpose baking mix, like Bisquick only healthy. And Arrowhead Mills makes a great pancake mix.
  • Re: Whole Wheat Flour
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jns131
    I use it for everything I bake with. I substitute 1 cup per 3 cups of flour for cookie baking, pie baking and cake baking. Otherwise, you can use all whole wheat flour for pie baking, but it will give off a wheaty flavor. Just remember to sub 1 cup per 3 cups of regular all purpose flour.
    I am interested in doing this more too. So, let me make sure I've got this right...

1 cup whole wheat flour = 3 cups all purpose white flour ?

I've used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour in the past. If a recipe called for 2 cups of flour, then I'd use a cup of each. Is that not the best way to do it???

• Whole Wheat
    OK, yeah, I got confused when I heard it the first time too.
    So here goes.

With 3 cups of all purpose flour, remove 1 cup of it and add 1 cup of whole wheat flour, soy flour or farina, aka cream of wheat.
    I do the farina thing with pizza dough. It gives it a great taste.
    I do make my own whole wheat bread and other breads that include rye. I hope this helps.
    I also have been told that to cut out much of the fat in much of our foods today? Is to make it all homemade yourself. That includes cakes, cookies and pies. Also, in cooking, use olive oil. I am working on working using olive oil in baking too. Just watch your fat content and you'll do fine. My picky eater daughter won't eat a lot, but if it tastes good? She will eat it.
  • For fully replacing white flour with wheat flour, I recommend using 7/8 cup wheat to 1 cup white as called for in the recipe. I have made chocolate chip cookies and done this without anyone noticing!!
    I have been experiementing with Spelt flour in place of white flour. It can be used for baking equal to white flour. I have found there is not too much taste difference for brownies, muffins and pancakes.
    Here is a chart for subsitutes. Some replacements require you to add "thickeners".
    Wheat Flour Substitutes - http://www.karinya.com/flour.htm
    Hope this helps!
  • I've been trying to use more whole grains, too. I just bought some whole wheat pastry flour and replaced all of the white flour with it in a chocolate chip cookie recipe and they turned out really good. I thought they tasted a lot better than with the white flour. It feels like white flour when you run it through your fingers but it's still whole grain flour it's just a finer texture than regular whole wheat flour. I used Bob's Redmill whole wheat pastry flour. It says on the bag that it's good for cookies, pies, and cakes. It even has some recipes on the bag. There's a carrot cake one and a pie crust one. I bought mine at Hy-Vee. I haven't seen it anywhere else in my area.

Tami
  • Thanks for all of the great input! I was away for a couple of days and couldn't believe all of the response. I am going to try the substitutions with the cookies I have to bake tomorrow for my son's Fall Party!

God be with you,
    Suzy