Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Substitutions & Replacements How do I make homemade sour cream? Can I use milk instead of half and half? And plenty of other questions!

Old 06-28-2003, 02:44 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Exclamation ISO Horseradish Substitute

Hi Ladies,

OK, I'm stumped. I will be making Salmon Cakes with Lemon Herb Mayo tonight. A Google-search gives me Tabasco sauce as a Horseradish substitute. Can a kind soul here tell me if this is accurate? Also, the recipe calls for canned salmon (never had this). Do I process the fresh salmon before I am able to use it in cakes? If so, how?

Last edited by HappyPuppy; 06-28-2003 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Gee, Happypuppy, I don't know about salmon but Tabasco is not a substitute for horseradish. You're going to have to run to the store and buy a jar of horseradish, or make some out of fresh. Good luck to you. I wish those were cake cakes!
Old 06-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's a recipe for FRESH salmon cakes...

1¼ pounds salmon filets
1 slice white bread with crusts removed, chopped very finely
2 tbl mayonnaise
¼ cup finely grated onion
2 tbl chopped fresh parsley
¾ tsp salt
1½ tbl juice from 1 lemon
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1½ tsp plus ½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cups dried bread crumbs

Remove any pin bones from salmon and then cut the flesh off skin. Chop (this is important - don't use a food processor!) the fish into small chunks and mix with chopped bread, mayonnaise, onion, parsley, salt and lemon juice.
Scoop a generous ¼ cup portion salmon mixture from bowl and use hands to form into a patty measuring about 2½ inches in diameter and ¾ inch thick. Make 8 patties this way. Put the patties on a large flat plate or baking sheet and place in the freezer until the surface moisture has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, spread flour in a plate or shallow dish. Beat the eggs with 1½ tsp vegetable oil and 1½ tsp water in shallow dish, and spread the bread crumbs in a third. Dip chilled patties in flour, shake off excess. Transfer to beaten egg and coat; drip off excess. Now coat completely with bread crumbs.
Heat remaining oil in large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering; add salmon patties and cook until medium golden brown about 2 - 3 minutes (make sue you have enough oil, it should reach halfway up the patties -- the oil should be hot but not smoking) Flip the cakes and continue cooking until golden brown. Serve immediately (you might want to drain the cakes quickly on paper towels).

~~

If your recipe calls for canned salmon, then use canned salmon which is found in the "Tuna" section of your supermarket. I have
not ever seen a supermarket that doesn't carry canned salmon. *s*

Horseradish is Hot to the tongue, thus probably the reason they suggested hot sauce. You can use just Mayo with a little lemon or lime, capers, if you have them, and parsley for a dipping sauce

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-29-2003, 05:44 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Salmon Cakes & Horseradish

Georgieanna, I ended up making them without the horseradish or Tabasco and they were still yummy. Thanks! Mmmm...cake cake...yeah! My fav is chocolate, o' course!

============

Jeannie, Thanks for the recipe! Another one for us to try out. We always buy fresh salmon, but I will try the canned just for fun. Canned chicken, tuna and sardines aren't too bad, so maybe the salmon will be okay, too. Tuna is cooked before canning. I suppose canned salmon is pre-cooked, too?

What I did this time was to substitute fresh, cooked salmon for the canned. Cooled it. Pulsed it in a small processor for a few seconds and proceeded from there. The recipe came from the Seafood thread for Salmon Cakes here on FamilyCorner. It called for mayo, lemon juice, etc. The consistency was perfect for cakes. They were pretty good, but your recipe looks a lot better because the fish only gets cooked the one time! :p
Old 06-29-2003, 09:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think what they were looking for with the horseradish and tabasco was a bit of a bite in the food.. wake it up a bit... I would think anything would work for that.. each thing having a bit of its own unique flavor. Perhaps try Wasabi. That green stuff they use with sushi? its like super hot mustard and a lot of people like the taste of it mixed in things. or you could even use hot chinese mustard would work.. not to much.. you dont want it to be hot.. just enough to give it a hint of a kick Or a little extra pepper would do as well I would think.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:10 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oooooooo Weeeeeee That'sa Nice 'n' Spicy!

Middleagedmommy,

Quote:

"I think what they were looking for with the horseradish and tabasco was a bit of a bite in the food.. wake it up a bit"

I think you and Jeannie are right about the spicy part. I will try it with each of those: capers, Tabasco and the Chinese hot mustard(one at a time, of course!).

The recipe called for a little cayenne pepper, which I used. But it could have stood more heat!

Thanks for all your responses!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If you want more heat, you can also try adding some Old Bay Seasoning.....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."