Different Types of Ground (Mince) Meat - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Substitutions & Replacements How do I make homemade sour cream? Can I use milk instead of half and half? And plenty of other questions!

Old 04-17-2002, 01:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Different Types of Ground (Mince) Meat

We have started using a new supermarket which labels it's mince differently to the supermarket we used to use.Could anyone please explain which mince would have the lowest fat levels.
They label their mince Ground chuck,ground round,ground sirloin etc.Thanks in advance Tara.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here at my stores, Ground Round and Ground Sirloin have the lowest fat content...but the highest price tag! Ground beef has the highest fat content ....and the lowest price tag! Ground Chuck is what I generally buy. It doesn't seem to have a lot of fat and it has a decent price tag. I buy it though when it goes on sale for $1.19 a pound or lower and stock my freezer! Hope that helps!
Old 04-22-2002, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Talk to the butcher in the meat department. These are USDA cuts of meat from different parts of the animal, and they do have different fat content, or "marbeling". It sounds like what they are doing at your store is grinding the beef according to the cut of the meat. The butcher will know. It's his job. In steaks, the higher the fat content, or marbling, the more costly the steak, because that is what gives it the flavor when it's grilled. The leaner cuts, are used for stewing rather than grilling, because they're lower in fat and need moisture to make them tender. But in ground beef, I think the opposite is true of the pricing structure. The lower fat meat is higher priced because there's a higher demand for low-fat ground beef. ( supply and demand and all that consumer-ism) . I know that the meat-guys at my store are always very willing to explain things to me, if I'm willing to wait for them to come out front.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
All of the markets here show the % of fat on the label of the ground meat. I buy ground meat only when I catch the 80-90% on sale other than that I buy the boneless cuts when they are on sale and grind my own. That way I know exactly how much fat is included and how much water!

To see God, Look to Jesus
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Head Moderator

These are the standards in the United States, I do not know if they are the same in other countries.

Ground Beef Labels

Ground Hamburger: Ground from less tender and/or less popular cuts of beef. Generally the butcher reserves trimmings from other meat cuts (excluding innards) to grind into hamburger and ground beef. This means in theory there could be pieces of sirloin, chuck, ribs, or even filet mignon in that package of hamburger. According to USDA standards, hamburger may have fat added, but cannot contain more than 30% fat by weight.

Ground Beef: Basically the same as ground hamburger but it cannot have added fat. It cannot contain more than 30% fat by weight.

speciality Ground Beef: If the label says it's ground sirloin or ground chuck, then those are the only parts included in the grind. These grinds are typically more expensive and leaner than the all inclusive ground beef or hamburger. But, buyer beware. Ground sirloin or ground round can conceivably be no leaner than inexpensive ground beef, yet still be properly labeled as long as it doesn't claim to be lean. Don't depend on the cut to define leanness. The following percentages are used as a guideline for specific cuts:

Ground chuck : 80 to 85 percent lean / 15 to 20 percent fat
Ground round : 85 to 90 percent lean / 10 to 15 percent fat
Ground sirloin : 90 to 92 percent lean / 8 to 10 percent fat

Lean Ground Beef: Must meet the requirements of ground beef but may not contain more than 22 percent fat.

Extra Lean Ground Beef: Must meet the requirements of ground beef but may not contain more than 15 percent fat.

Hope this explains it!