Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Substitutions & Replacements How do I make homemade sour cream? Can I use milk instead of half and half? And plenty of other questions!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Artificual Sweetners

It seems there are so many different kinds of artificial sweetners out there. I wanted to see what others are using. I had heard a lot about Splenda, but hear that they are being sued for claiming to be natural when they are not. Does anyone have a favorite?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Splenda

Splenda is my daughter's choice.
she's a fitness tech.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Artificial Sweetners

I too would love to hear what folks are using since I am allergic to sugar (it makes my hands break out in hives similar to ecsema (sp?) - it's very gross and very annoying! I can't use splenda either since it's made from sugar and nutrasweet gives me headaches! I have been a confirmed sugar junkie for years and just discovered this last year so I have been either dealing with the results of eating birthday cake and ice cream or KETCHUP or going without! Honey is okay but you can only do so much with it - plus it tends to have a laxative effect if you get my drift! I would love to hear what other's are doing! Thanks! Katie
Old 03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I use Splenda for everything even in baking.
Katie does ketchup make you break out too?? Im asking because
a few months ago I had a cup of tomato soup and I hadnt had it in a long time because of the salt and I broke out in hives not badly but all on my arms. They reoccurred just recently when I used alot of ketchup and now Im wondering if it is the tomato all of a sudden,I can eat spaghetti sauce though. Just wondering,I have had little eruptions every once in awhile on my arm not as bad as the 1st time but I take benedryl and they go away.Im gonna ask my dr this month about it when I go.
Hugs sandie
Old 03-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I use Sweet & Low in coffee,tea, cereal. Splenda in SOME of my baking otherwise sugar. Nice thread here looking forward to reading other posts
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ketchup

Hello Sandie, Actually I can't eat ketchup at all! It's higher in sugar than ICE CREAM! If I have a lot of sugar - the very next day my fingers are flame red/cracked open and water blister under my nails - not pretty. I fought with this for years - being misdiagnosed by one doctor after another. All of them kept giving me the same steroid which did nothing! Until one day I read an article in a magazine about someone having a sugar allergy similar to my reaction! I mentioned it to my dermatologist who looked at me like I was INSANE! Well a year later I am completely cured (provided I don't eat sugar) - it just goes to show that what we eat is really important. So what kind of artificial stuff can I eat to make me think I am eating sugar (LOL)! I have a feeling it's honey or nothing Thanks, Katie
Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

It is best to stay away from all artificial sweeteners - Splenda, NutraSweet, Sweet & Low. I have learned a lot about nutrition, food additives, etc. from the owner and president of NOW Foods and a chain of health food stores (a family friend, who is also a scientist).

If you need a sweetener in your coffee or tea, try stevia. It's a natural sweetener made from a plant. You could also try honey in your tea.

Hope this helps ~
Melanie
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Friend of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Newbie

Using Splenda

You can find out everything you want to know about Splenda by going to splenda.com. Once on the home page, check out Frequently Asked Questions, and there they explain how it is made, etc.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-04-2005, 07:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Bethnic, I also cannot eat white sugar. I don't have as drastic reaction as you do but it really affects my immune system and I start aching all over within 24 hrs.
I would also recommend you not use artificial sweetners, including splenda. I have read reports from people who are having some pretty adverse reactions from splenda.
I use honey as well. I can also use maple syrup. Stevia is ok, although I found it left a bit of an after taste. One thing I have recently discovered is Xylitol. It is a natural sugar derived from fruits and vegetables. The best is derived from the birch tree. It doesn't have an effect on the blood sugar like white sugar does. It is a little pricy but it's worth it to me. You might also want to try fructose. I find that I can tolerate that. Both of these can be used just like sugar. There are many arguments back and forth that honey, maple sugar and fructose are the same as sugar. All I know is that when I use the others I don't get sick and when I eat white sugar I do. You might want to search the term Xylitol and you should get lots of info on it. Its available in most health food stores as is fructose.
Good luck!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've been reading about all those health problems. It makes me look forward to a time when humans won't have to worry about such things. Read Revelation 21:3-4, my favourite scripture.