Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stocking up for how long??

How far ahead do you try to be?? I aim for a month- 3 months depending on the item..........just curious how everyone else does!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi,

I tend to stock up as much as I can. Example: I found deoderant for my son for $1 a bottle limit 6 but I had my dd w/ me and bought 12. that should last him a good while. If it is nonperishable I stock up with as much as I can afford at the time. Perishable items I stock up with as many as I can use before it goes bad.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If the price is right, I buy as much of the item as I think we can use up before it goes bad. Also, I won't buy more than I can store comfortably.
I have about 6 kids' shampoos that I got for almost nothing. I don't need to buy any more kids' shampoo any time soon. Pasta--that keeps a long time so when it's on a good sale I'll buy plenty. We eat it at least once a week, usually more.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member

I have been known to buy out a store's clearance on a particular item! Generally, if it is something like tp, I will try to get enough till at least the next sale. A good rule of thumb is to buy enough to last you till the next time it goes on sale.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stock up? I try to stock up everything from canned goods to toilet paper. I have a tote full of toothpaste,deodorant, body wash etc. different times of year is stock up time for me. usually now I stock on canned goods because they are on sale. summer I do hotdogs
bologna and put it in my deep freeze. Cereal all the time because My kids eat it all day long, condiments in the summer when they are usually on sale. I try to keep at least a months supply of food in my home in case I can't go to the grocery except for every week items.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I love to stock, as long as I have the room. We now have extra cabinets in our basement so have been stocking up on more canned goods lately. Tuna is a big one as dh seems to have a tunafish sandwhich just about every Saturday! Oh and of course likes the Albacore which is not cheap! I tend to do stocking according to whats on sale at Targets endcaps its amazing what I get for cheap. (Toothpaste, deoderant, shaving gel, shampoo) They have it all at one time or another!
Leighann
Old 10-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I stock up on what is one sale. I try to buy at least as much as I will need before the item will be on sale again. Usually that means that I buy at least 6 of something. Recently I found a great sale on Ragu, so I bought 18 of them. It took me a couple of trips to the store, since they had a limit, but I couldn't beat 87 cents a jar!

My goal is to have a year's supply of food and paper products. This is a lofty goal, I know. So far I have about 6 months worth of a lot of items, but not enough to actually live on. I am trying though!

I am dating all the food and other perishables that I buy. I rotate things on the shelves in my storage room. The newer items to the back and the older to the front. This is working very well.

Good luck with your storage!
Jenna
Old 11-02-2003, 06:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I Hope everyone is stocking well!! I've got my 2 refigerator freezers stocked now I"m going to start on my deep freeze. And have started on my baking items again. I did major stocking this week on canned goods and freezer items. I just wish I could get a good deal on Meat. That is my hardest item to stock up on. So what is everyones hardest item to stock up on?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I haven't had much of a problem stocking up on meats. I usually try to get the marked down meats at the Food Lion. We also have an Asian Market that I saw w/ marked down meats. Catching tp on good sale is my hardest item to stock. It has gotten so bad my dd (20) goes to the clearance section and calls me to see if we need the items.

Continued stocking.

Doris
Old 11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

stocking up

Since we live an hour from the city, I try to stock up as much as I can. We do have a small tiny store about 20 miles away, but its very expensive. I too would like to have about a years worth on my shelves. I am tight on freezer space. We have 2 deep freezers and the refrid/freezer in the kitchen. We just butchered a hog, so have lots of pork, bacon, sausage etc... With the price of pork, paying 120.00 for the pig, and $70 for supplies, we did it with a friend. We smoked some stuff too. Prob got about $500 worth of meat. We run a cattle ranch, but unfortunatley at this time, cant afford to butcher a cow. We need them to produce for our income. Beef is so expensive. I do stock up when it is on sale tho. And Ive been know to buy 20 jars of mayo when it was on sale for .99 .