Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Old 02-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

stocking up

I have been working on a list, and am grocery shopping at COSTCO and then to get duck tape and heavy plastic. The world is in such a state, and as the Bible says, we ARE living in the last days. Everytime I turn on the TV or pick up the paper, they are talking about getting things in, and to be prepared.. I figure it is all things that will not go to waste, and hopefully will stay in the pantry. I also am a "flybaby" and they are always one step ahead sooooooo. What are you all doing to prepare? Cafe
Old 02-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am working on a list too. Also I am doing a major basement clean, since DH is figuring that in an extreme emergency we would "relocate" there....I'm taking all my Rubbermaids of Christmas decorations and outgrown clothing (waiting for the next child to grow into) and putting them in the garage. I'm giving away some large toys the big kids no longer play with. All this will make storage space and living space.

My biggest challenge will be feeding the baby (11 months), who eats table food including a LOT of cheese, eggs and yogurt. Those things won't necessarily be available in an emergency. So I need to think about some other things I can feed him. He is NOT into jarred baby foods.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have been collecting emergency supplies for about 3 months now. I was watching CNN yesterday and noticed that they were suggesting a 3 day kit of supplies. I am so relieved that I already have at least that much!

My DH and I went out yesterday and stocked up on quite a few items that we are short on. We also ordered LOTS of wheat from our local whole foods store, it should be here by Tuesday. I have a grain mill and really do use it, so we aren't just collecting foods we don't use or need.

I don't want to sound really paranoid, but we are taking food storage really seriously right now. It will really be the only thing we can count on. I sure wouldn't want to go to the grocery store in an emergency with all the people. Some people get a real seige mentality during a crisis and tend to act very inappropriately.

We try to buy only what our family actually eats. I am not one to have alot of powdered milk or honey stored. This just isn't what we eat and I don't know how I would prepare it. I think it is important to try to keep things as normal as possible in troubled times. It give stability to our lives when other things are not. Besides, you can get really sick eatting food that you aren't used to eating.

Jenna
Old 02-14-2003, 11:18 AM

Nat'l. Disaster Preparation

I was wondering if anyone would get around to addressing this issue on the boards. I have been reading since last Friday on the frugal living.com site as people have debated pro/con on whether to store and use the duct tape. As a frugal member here and there(frugal living site) I have been implementing this into my lifestyle for 4 years and don't have to rush out and buy anything. Roll of plastic on hand from when we had a indoor garden to protect our furniture and everyone should have duct tape, I am way surprised at how many didn't. I had gallon milk containers from when I used to buy milk, water pitchers, anything that is a food container storage I put water in and put in my extra frig. or in our deep freezers (it's good for them to be full anyways, uses less electricity.). One recommendation is if you are doing a emergency backpack, those tuna in the foil packages are easier, less space and don't require a can opener. I noticed Tyson just came out with one for chicken. I had a bunch of those from coupons awhile back, got for like .19 cents or free. I drink powdered milk, have for about 6 months now, even make my homemade yogurt from it. I would also suggest Slimfast Powder as a stock up item. It has all your daily vitamin requirements, mix w/water or water and powdered milk, filling and good for you, even diabetics such as myself. Just my .2 cents worth.

Anna
Old 02-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for the tip about Slimfast, Anna!

I hadn't thought of that, but it really is a great idea. My daughter likes Ensure and other products like it and would probably love this. Heaven knows, she doesn't need to lose an ounce of weight, but we wouldn't be using it for that purpose. Vitamins in the form of pills give her an upset stomach.

Jenna
Old 02-14-2003, 12:18 PM

Slimfast

Hi Jenna-

Your welcome, glad I could help.

Anna
Old 02-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been busily working on our BOB bags (bug out bags) - http://pub51.ezboard.com/fhappytrail...picID=27.topic

I stockpile loss leaders, but the sales here have been quite poor the last few months (and we don't have double coupon stores either). I have plenty in some areas (flour, sugar, peanut butter, pasta, tomato sauce, butter, etc.) so I've been concentrating on having food and water for our BOB bags (bottled water from Sam's, peanut butter crackers and granola bars) and I've been stocking up on other items before prices rise - tp, brown sugar, dry milk powder, vitamins, hydrogen peroxide, bottled water (in case the water supply is contaminated), laundry detergent, etc.

I have totally blown my grocery budget this month, but that's okay. I would rather be prepared than not. I noticed a few days ago that BJ's Warehouse Club here has already raised quite a few of their prices - Sam's has not.

Be careful storing water in empty milk jug containers for a long period of time. The plastic is not very thick and could develop a leak in about six months. I have been using mine for storing water for my dogs and also using juice bottles (juice bottles and soda bottles are sturdier than milk jug containers).

If you can find a great price on eggs, they can be frozen in ice cube trays and then stored in freezer baggies. Just break one egg into each compartment of the tray (might want to grease it a bit first to make it easier to pop out after frozen) and mix the yold and white together a bit. Freeze, pop out of the tray and store in freezer baggies or other freezer containers. To use, just let thaw and prepare as usual. For baking purposes you can substitute soy flour for eggs....... 1 T. soy flour + 1 T. water = 1 egg.

Last edited by kahana; 02-16-2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:34 AM

thanks for the tip

Kahana-

Thanks for the tips, that's good advice. Some I knew, some I forgot about and some I didn't know. Loss leader sales are the best way to go when you can, bulk food stores are a good investment too but only when it's things you will use. I bought 75 lbs. of flour a cpl. weeks ago, 25 all purpose and 50 wheat but we use it for bread, pasta, cookies, pizza crust so it's not just sitting around for the what if's.... We use alot of low fat cheese in pizza's, spaghetti topper, salads so we bought 5 lbs. at half the store price, separated and froze what we don't need right now. same with pickles, jelapeno peppers, banana peppers. We buy at a restaurant supply chain open to the public and save huge amounts of money. Of course, we have storage space for these things, 2 refrigerators and 2 deep freezers and a walk in pantry. We could go a month without shopping at all if we had to.

Anna
Old 02-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just wanted to share my good fortune!

I have been telling lots of people about my stocking up and from that I was able to buy wheat for my storage for about 1/3 the normal price.

My SIL knows someone who is moving to Hawaii and wanted to sell their stored wheat. DH and I went and picked it up last night!

We are feeling so blessed!

Jenna
Old 02-20-2003, 10:14 AM

What a deal!

Jenna-

That is so great, networking is such a good thing. I wish I could run into more good deals like that. It is nice, one of our board members here read my post that I was considering buying a iced tea maker and volunteered to give me hers free. That was so nice, of course I offered to pay for the shipping. I wish they had a free trade thread on here, it could help all of us in swapping. Maybe someone will. take care.

Anna