Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Old 02-17-2002, 08:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Confess!!! Are you a stocker?

Last year, I had to go on sick leave for a year! It was a tough year. I only made a small fraction of what I normally made. The great part was, I am a stocker. It helped so much I opened up my cupboards and found a year supply of soap, toothpaste, razors, cleaning supplies and shelves full of food.

My neighbour (Canadian spelling) moved here from England. He told me he watched a show about how upset everyone is about all the stocking people do in North Amercia and why is it bad?! I had to explain to him, stocking food is OK and that stalking people is bad! He didn't understand what they meant!
Old 02-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL....yes I am a stocker!

I don't think we could survive 1 year on our stock but we could get by for a few months.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:40 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I try too stock too a limited extent, when I find sales or good buys on things. But due too limited space and limited budget. I can't doo too much!
Old 02-19-2002, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I stock up on certain items like paper towels, napkins, toilet paper and certain canned goods too!.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am also a stocker!

I probably have a years worth of some items such as dish detergent and razor blades, but I don't have a year of most things. I have about 10 bottles of shampoo, but this will be lucky to last 6 months with all the showers taken around here!

I only stock up at sale prices and buy as much as I can afford at the time. Of course, some things don't keep well, so I'm talking about only items that can be stored for a period of time.

I would like to start stocking up on food that will keep well. This is sort of my project right now. I am researching exactly what and how to store food items so they won't go to waste.

Glad I am not the only one who does this!

Jenna
Old 02-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I am a stocker!! Big time!!

I have a six month supply of products such as ziplocs, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, bar soap, razor blades; deodorants; toothpaste, etc.

These are the type of items featured at a WalMart or K-Mart and can be found at a really good price several times a year. Armed with coupons, the sale price then becomes really good.

I always try to check out the discounted or drastically marked down or clearance areas that all stores have. I find some really good bargain there. For example, I happened to be in town two Saturday mornings in a row VERY EARLY and the grocery store had two carts of drastically discounted items over by the freezer cases. One time one of the carts was filled with razors, razor blades, aftershaves, deodorants, etc. Another time one of the carts had graduated cake pans from their bakery (wow, what a find this was as they were very heavy duty professional baking pans but with some dents.) The pans were $1 each.

I asked the manager about the carts, and he said that Thursday and Friday of each week are the inventory and restocking days for different areas of the store. For whatever reason, these products are then put into the carts and offered for sale in an out of the way spot beginning very early Saurday morning (like about 6 a.m.).

Where do I put all this stuff? Under beds in roll out drawers (from an old dresser or two) that my dh afixed wheels to.

How do I know how much of each item I have? I keep an inventory listing of my stocks, complete with the price I paid for each item and when I got them and where.

How did I get started building this stash? By buying at least a couple extra items each time I found something on sale. I had to start small but you would be surprised how fast your stock will grow, especially when you add to it through sales and coupons. Additionally, when I am not buying much in the way of groceries because I am well stocked, I set aside some $$ to have for when the sales do roll around.

Brand loyal? No way! There are very few brands I am really loyal to ~ I am much more loyal to the concept of keeping as much $$ in my own pocket as someone else's.

Sandie
Old 02-21-2002, 09:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh goodness yes, drives my dh insane. But if I find a good deal or it's free with coupon you bet I will stock, stock, stock. Right now I have enough dishwashing detergent to seriously last me 5 years or more. For the most part I have enough cleaning supplies to last a year or a little longer. The freezer is full from having a cow and pig slaughtered late last year and with over 200 ears of corn either cob or shelled. The pantry is full with quarts of tomato juice, whole tomatoes, salsa, pickles and green beans that will definatley last me at least till next canning season. As far as canned veggies I wait till there is a sale 3/1.00 and I stock up, need to do that soon I am getting low. Shampoo, toothpaste, deo, q-tips, laundry soap and toothbrushes are well stocked also. Well dh my laugh and fuss but if it came right down to it we could easily get buy for several months with having to buy nothing to very little. And boy ain't it nice that when you run out of something and all the stores are closed you don't have to worry? just reach into your stock and get what you need.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow very impressive! I am going to work harder on my stock.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:32 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been a stocker since the early 70's. I just hate to run out of stuff. I have not been as good as I use to be but I am trying to fix that. That is mostly cause the things I am low on, stock wise, just have not been on sale.
I do not get the sunday paper so I do not get or use coupons so I depend on sales.
I also can and freeze the fruit and veggies in the summer.
I am lucky to live near a meat processing plant and I stock up on my convenience foods from them, like meat balls, veal patties and steak sandwich steaks.
A market I go to every few weeks, since it is about 30 miles away, has deals on frozen meats. These are meats that would have gone past date instead they freeze it and sell it at great prices. The food is good since it is frozen before it's sell by date. How is 29 cents a pound for chicken backs? 49 cents a pound for cut up rotisserie chicken? Even if I am just making soup I get my money's worth. They also have beef and lamb and pork too.
This store also sells in bulk and I buy my dry good that way and they also sell large food service size cans and I get them and once open I freeze the remainder in the size I need for future recipes, since my containers are reusable it doesn't cost a lot.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a stocker. I am proud to admit it. I grew up on a farm so our freezer was always full along with the cellar full of canned goods. Now I do not can nor do I have a deep freeze, but I still have to have that stock. As one of my fellow stockers put it if she could see the shelf in her pantry she was nervous and needed to go shopping. I have met people who run out of staples let alone stock up on things. It helps during the hard times. During a month, when an unexpected expense comes up I can just dip into my reserves. It is reassuring to know that my family will always have food. It really does help in a time of crisis. Like a hurricane, bad storm, or if you get sick. My family just lived out of my pantry for almost six weeks. I missed my normal restock because of an illness. We still had food but it would have been some weird combos or my husband would have had to make some things from scratch(that wasn't going to happen). It was time for some fresh stuff. It made me nervous when I opened my last box of mac and cheese. We all have the resources to make it. I never have to run out to buy any of the essentionals. That is what I have plenty of.
I buy bath sets on sale after Christmas and they normally last me till fall, add in a few free samples and a birthday present and I am good till Christmas again. Toilet paper is a twice a year buy. When it is my brand on sale I buy what I need til the next sale which is usually 6 months. I look stupid in the store, but it is a money saver. And no last minute runs for TP.