Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Head Moderator

Salvage Store Shopping

When we lived in the city we had several salvage grocery stores to shop at. They have very good prices on groceries if you don't mind dented cans and slightly out of date items. They are usually regulated strictly because of this. I recently found a salvage store locally and have started shopping at it before my regular grocery trips. Do you shop at one? Have you decided they aren't for you? Or do you thoroughly enjoy getting some groceries at decent prices?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member

I would check one out if there were any in my area.

Roberta
Old 09-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaD View Post
I would check one out if there were any in my area.

Roberta
For some reason they seem to always be a thing you find by word of mouth. You might check around and be surprised! The one we have local here is run by the Amish. And I recently found out about another one in the next town. Not sure if an internet search would yield any or not and I'm not real sure how they would even be listed in the phone book if at all. Possibly a food pantry might know of some?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Catlover, word of mouth is exactly how one finds these places. We have a chocolate place like this and it is wonderful! It sells everything imaginable almost that is chocolate, it also has cereals and soup mixes etc. It is a God send at Christmas, and Easter. It is a little mom and pop place that only takes cash or cheque! I can think of nowhere I could pay by cheque anymore.

I also have just heard about people going to a bread factory on certain days and loading up huge bags of all sorts of different day olds for just a few dollars. I have to do some more sluthing to get the exact information.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Nine Year Member

I had four different bread thrift stores within 30 min of me now we have just three all different brands Brownbridge/Entemans, Wonder and Aunt Millie. I've not been to the Wonder store as I just found it by accident on Monday as I drove by and didn't have time to stop but at the Nickols shop that closed you could get while bread 3/$1.99 with dates as far out as 5 days.

Roberta
Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Head Moderator

As my boys were growing up we had several bread bakery stores. The prices were wonderful! What they did was sell the return from the groceries bread and sometimes they had over bakes. They had all bread products, cookies, snack cakes and such. We could have never afforded all that stuff if it weren't for those stores! I had an industrial freezer back then so I would stock up and only have to go every 3 weeks or so; made it real nice for the grocery budget! Now of course nothing like that any where near us. DH likes the homemade bread I make for him and I buy double fiber for me. I'm sure I could make mine, but without being able to figure exactly how much carbs it would contain I just opt for the store bought. I don't eat that much of it! lol
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Salvage Grocery list by state - Frugal Village Forums

Unfortunately there are basically none of them in NY. Syracse is a five hour drive :-(
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

THANKS but the closest one to me here in VA is in Richmond GRRR! We don't have Aldi's around here but we do have Save A Lot but about 20mins from me.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I go to them all the time. I ahve had one problem with flour. Just opened up 10 pounds this week and it was full of black bugs. I get tomatoes, fruits, cereals, coffee, sugar, flour paper products.We have several in our area. Plus we have a Sara Lee outlet and a Hostess outlet. it's great.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
To the Tennessee list you can add Penny Pinchers in Savannah .