Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Step-Parenting

Step-Parenting Ask other step-parents your questions about being a step mom.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What nice thing have you done for your step-children today?

Since we have a lot of threads out there about the concerns and problems we face beings step-parents I thought it might be nice to start a thread that shares ideas about the nice things we do for our children and step-children.

Before my children and step-children come home from being at their other houses I make their beds and place a small gift on their pillows. I won't clean their rooms because there are too many of them (children and rooms!) and I think that cleaning their domain should be their chore, but they sure love when I step in and make their beds. In addition, since it can be an adjustment to transition from one house to another, I think it is a nice way to start their time with us to place a personal token on their pillow. It can be anything from a card, to some new socks that they needed, to a Pez candy dispenser. It's not much, but they all love running into the house to find out what is on their bed.

What fun ideas do you have to make you "blended family" feel at home?

http://amywarwick.com
Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Well I have been step mom to my beloved David for over 21 yrs now and he was 17 when I became mom to him (his dear mom passed away in 83) so just treated him as my own from day one even before his dad and I married. I over heard him telling a member of church one Sunday morn "my parents got engaged last nite" not "my dad gave his g/f a ring last nite" needless to say made me feel special. That has always been the way we have been. The nite we lost our dad/hubby he called me at my older dau's and said "mom you gave dad the happiest years of his life". His Mom was a good lady (so I have been told) but seemed like she was a pretty bossy one and that caused friction so guess that is one reason David said what he did. To this day we are close.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! You and David have been through a lot together. That is a great story. Hopefully this link can generate a few more. All the best to you!

http://amywarwick.com
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thank you Amy this is a good thread and we have lots of step moms in FC (at least I think we do)
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't have any step children but my husband has 2 of them :-) - It was hard but he really tried to treat them just like his own - My 2 older sons are on their own now but 1 of those sons girlfriends told us that Justin has a journal that he writes in & he put in there that Steve (my husband) was a better father to him than his own father - It was very touching to us & Steve felt so proud - It's so nice to see them all being such good friends together.