Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 AM
BoggsZ

Bored SAHM

I am a SAHM with on DD she is 7 so she's in school. Summers are ok but when she is in school I get so bored DH works allday and Im alone at home I take her to school and Volunteer at her school alot but when theres not alot today I come home Clean my house and sometimes its so hard I get so bored and lonesome Dh dosnt want to have anymore kids he had 3 before we got married and there all on there own now. My Question is does anyone have any suggestion on how i can cope through the day better when im home by my self. I know most of you are saying she's crazy we would love to have quite time but not me I get so Bored. Thanks for any suggestion and yes the internet is even getting boring to me. All but family Corner that is
Old 01-12-2004, 12:38 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I don't know exactly what you are looking for. But, could you volunteer your time at a nursing home visting elderly that don't have family home during the day to visit them?

This is something you could even continue to do over the summer with your DD, as some of the elderly do enjoy little ones. And starting now you could get a good feel as to wether or not they would enjoy your daughters company.

Or maybe check your local paper for an elderly person that needs cleaning done?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:42 PM
BoggsZ

Mom2-4 thats wont im looking for things to do outside the home dh dont want me to work he wants me to be free for dd and him thats ok but theres just somedays I go crazy just cleaning house and staying home I managed resteraunts before we got married and was alwasy on the go I guess i miss it. I was really just wondering what other sahm do to feel there time while thay have no kids in the daytime. thanks for the suggestions
Old 01-12-2004, 03:38 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I can understand how you could get bored! I know that probably for like the first year it was simply heaven. Then all of a sudden, it would be like now what? There is only so much cleaning you can do. And the school only needs you sometimes not all the times.

Just be glad that your DH wants you home!! and, that you can afford to stay at home!

Good luck, and let us know if you find something to do. I just thought maybe visiting the nursing home would be something for you to do, and then your DD could also go along with you.

When I was a kid, my mom had an aunt in a nursing home, and we would go to visit her once every week. My mom's aunt really enjoyed it, and she always made things for me, I still have a crocheted bunny that covers a piece of soap to put in a drawer, that she made for me.

Just if you were to decide to do this, make sure that your daughter can deal ok, and understand if all of a sudden you stop visiting someone!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:51 AM
BoggsZ

mom2-4 I think that was a great idea and dd loves older people she has always liked talking to them i had a uncle in the nursing home and loved going there she didnt get scared at all. I am lucky that dh takes care of us but i guess im just feeling a little sorry for my self these days I guess i just need to get out and stop setting around maybe its the winter I dont know but I have got to do something. Thanks for talking to me about it
Old 01-13-2004, 02:14 AM
BoggsZ

oh shawn i hope it ends soon to. We live so far away from town thats I cant go every day we go once a week Im going to start some craft project and maybe start spring cleaning in the middle of winter Iv just never been this bored and lonesome before and iv never been depressed but i feel that way now I have friends but sometimes there all busy to Ill get through it im just feeling sorry for my self i guess thanks for the advice.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi there

It sounds like you need a hobby are you into scrapbooking? or anything else like that? something that you can do that you enjoy doing?
I am trying to think of what I would do with free days... and I would do my crafts I think.
Do you have pets? a dog would be a great companion!!! training and walking and playing....

I hope that you are feeling better soon.... I know how 'funks' feel and it isnt easy getting out of them. And it being January doesnt help I dont think!!!!

Take care!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:43 AM
BoggsZ

Sherbear, We do have a dog a pug she sleeps all day lol. I have been thinking about scrapbooking but just havent I may try that sounds like fun. I agree Jan is bad and theres still 2 more months of winter but ill get through it some how.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

wow.....

Maybe a hobby is what you need or a home based business. Be creative. What do you like to do?? Are there busy moms around you? Maybe you could use your time helping new moms who are not as fortunate to stay home with like errands, cooking, etc. I can not even imagine being bored or lonesome.

Volunteer everywhere, get a hobby or find something. If you still find yourself bored I can send you some work!

TX Chef Fran
Old 01-13-2004, 03:06 PM
BoggsZ

Txchef_fran If i lived close to you I would be glad to do some of your work. Im not bored all the time I just have my days some are better then others. Thay well get better in the summer more stuff to keep me busy.