Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 12-11-2003, 04:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mom's Wardrobe

I'm a mom of 3 ranging in age from almost 12 to 21 months....and I'd like to improve the way I dress.
Right now I'm wearing jeans, a rugby shirt, an oversized flannel shirt on top of that (I'm always COLD), and clogs. Everything is clean, neat, and ironed if it needs to be....but I feel like I look kind of sloppy.

Obviously with a toddler in the house I need to keep my clothes comfortable (I spend a good amount of time on the floor) and easy-care. I know that if I looked nicer, I'd feel good, too.

What could I wear in my day to day life of being a Mommy, doing laundry, running errands, cleaning and cooking, that still looks a little nice?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You can still wear comfortable clothes for doing things around the house....and look decent.
What I do is wear nice sporty sweat pants or stretch pants paired with a sweat shirt. And when I run an errrand ( grocery store, post office) I just put a pair of jeans or khaki pants on. They match the sweatshirt I had on anyways. I don't like wearing jeans around the house...just isn't very comfy. Wear what makes YOU feel the best.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm happy to read that I'm not the only person who finds jeans at home uncomfortable. My 3 daughters live in them and I can't figure out how. As soon as I walk in the door I kick my shoes off then change from jeans into something less constricting. :p

As for around the house, thank goodness I finally had a talk with my dh about this. I felt so bad that most days he would come home to find me in shorts or a comfortable dress. (I even wear shorts in the winter as long as I'm in doors) He told me to quit worrying--he came home to see me, not the clothes I was wearing. However, I do try to at least wear a nice looking pair of capris most days. I love those things--they are so comfy! I also wear a lot of sweats since we're trying to keep the heating bill down. I don't like sweat shirts though so pair them with T-shirts.

My biggest problem is shoes. I've had several foot surgeries so wear sandals year round. I find people looking at my feet more than the clothes I wear.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 12-17-2003, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The best thing I've found to help with this dilema is TLC's(The Learning Channel) show "What Not to Wear". It is great!

Since I've been watching that program and buying clothes for my body type people keep asking me if I'm losing weight. I can wear comfortable clothes and look great, too. My husband also tells me he loves me for me not what I'm wearing when he comes home from work. But after 18yr of marriage I want him coming home to an attractive wife. And I can definitely tell a difference in his response when he gets home. Comments like, I really like those pants I think I need to buy you a pair in every color.
LOL!

I would recommend watching a few episodes and seeing if you can identify your body type with one of the people they are making over. You will also get to see lots of great clothing ideas. Hope this helps.

Dorothy

P. S. Check out this lady and see if you can identify with the way she dresses. You might not have the same body type, but when you discribed what you wear this is who I thought of.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...es2/laura.html
Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I usually wear jeans around the house. I don't wear mens style tshirts with them though, I wear womens dressy tshirts or this time of year I wear sweaters and sweater vests. I always have my hair and makeup done though. I have lots of dressy pantsuits and dresses that I wear when we go out on dates, or for church.

Carol

Old 12-17-2003, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You might want to consider the very popular velour sweat suits, they are cute and hip looking, very comfy (drawstring waist) and come with matching velour jackets--I just wear a cute t-shirt underneath (or a tank top or camisole if I want to get hubby's attention).

I have two, one from gap and the other from Victoria's Secret--or if you don't mind spending a bit more, Juicy Couture makes them too--available at most department stores. Love them both and I feel equally comfortable going out in public to run errands. They aren't business attire, but definitely work for casual wear. They are very versatile.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:23 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
I know what your saying! Right now I am just wearing maternity so talk about feeling frumpy!

Last summer I wore a lot of dresses they were comfy and I thought made me look kinda cute, I was still able to crawl around with the kiddos. Have to be a little more careful but can be done. The dresses I got were mostly from thriftstores, got the good brands (Eddie Bauer, Lands End) I also like jeans for fall and winter!

This year I have to clue what I will be doing once the new baby comes it has to be easy lift tshirts or button downs for the next year. Then I promise myself to be a little better about taking care of me!

There is an article in the January edition of Good Housekeeping you may want to check out for problems just like this!

Leighann
Old 12-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

idea for casual yet sporty look w/kids

It is easy to fall into the slump of being comfy at home. I do the same thing. Change into jeans and sweatshirt as soon as I get in from work. You could wear a turtle neck and then a casual long sleeve shirt either tucked in or out. Like a nice checkered or something. Or a nice sweater over a turtleneck in the winter. I have 2 sweater sets that have short sleeve turtle necks with a like cute little matching sweater jacket to wear over the other one. Looks cute with jeans. Just some ideas.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I do daycare for my grandchildren, 12yr, 10yr, 6yr, 3yr, 2yr, and 10 months old, so I know what you mean about being comfortable and easy!

I wear easy care long skirts and long sleve womens t-shirts. Also a washable sweater hangs on my chair for easy access. I have enough skirts and t-shirts to change quickly when the baby spits up so I can smell nice too.

My grown children remember hiding behind my skirts and cannot think of me wearing anything else.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, "Santa" came through for Mommy this year....my mom gave me a nice fleece top with a zip neck, which looks dressy over a turtleneck and is so warm. And MIL gave me a purple chamois shirt, again to wear over turtlenecks. It's soft and cozy. So I'll be washable, comfy and warm. With jeans, and shoes instead of sneakers, I look more put together than I did with sweatshirts.

I like those velour sweats, but my toddler has discovered the fun of the "zippy" and unzips my sweatshirt every time! So I tend to avoid wearing it. He thinks it's fun to zip and unzip everyone's "zippy."