Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 03-01-2002, 02:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question running smoothly

How do you keep your day going smoothly?

For me, I know that organization is the key. Some days I just don't have it together, but when I do, I'm much happier and so are the kids.

What is your priority in order to keep your day running smooth? What is your routine? And if you are having a tough day/week, how do you keep it all in perspective? How do you make sure that you feel appreciated? What is your self-talk or motiviational secret?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a single parent with 3 children. We are all obviously ADD. The first most important thing when it comes to ADD and being organized is Routines. We have Morning Routines - Breakfast 7-7:30, getting dressed - 7:30-7:45 and out the door 8am sharp.
After school Routine - boots and coats away, backpacks on the kitchen table so I can check homework, sign agendas, ect. Packed backpacks get hung in their proper spot after homework is done.
Bedtime routines - all coats, boots, mitts, books, backpacks (everything ready to go out the door the following morning) Then showers, baths, brushed teeth, pj's and story time. I read every night to all 3 starting at 8 til about 8:30 and always leave them on the edge of a cliff hanger.
I am indebted to www.flylady.net for helping me set up my routines for this and my housekeeping too.

The other most important thing is my agenda, I have a week at a glance date book that I carry everywhere with me. Everything gets written down no matter how trivial, even standing appointments like taking the youngest to the community center every Wed. morning. Before I commit to anything I consult my book ( I joke that I need to check the list that reminds me to check my date book) I have a big "More time Moms" calendar on the kitchen door. I put all the information that the kids need to know like Sparks, ski trips, pizza days, plans I might have made for all of us on the weekend, or to let them know what plans they have already made. My 11 year old son checks the calendar before he makes plans with friends.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle I'm flying!

I to am a flybaby on the www.flylady.net What a difference she has made in my home and my life. We eat dinner and the dishes get done, things are not laying around anymore, and the clothes are even clean and ironed I have a personal organizer that goes everywhere I go and I can check whats next and where I am suppose to be. Its great
Old 03-04-2002, 09:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have joined flylady.net also and I LOVE it. My house has never looked better. Even pre children. At this time I have a almost 5 year old and 8 1/2 month old and Jon said just this weekend our house looks better than ever. I was shocked to tears. I got every bit of clothes washed all the bed sheets just this weekend. We also went to a birthday party, Walla Walla and I made dinner Friday, Saturday and Sunday w/time to spare. I love it. I have been doing it for 3 months now and I could have drop in guests w/out cringing.

Brandie
Old 03-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I still don't know what running smoothly is, however I have just subscribed to flylady this past week and I love it. What wisdom. I do have hope that one day I will run smoothly. Best to you all.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am a former flybaby. I fell out of the nest and haven't had the courage to climb back in.

All those e-mail made me feel guilty that I couldn't keep up! I give you credit for keeping up!

My sink just doesn't shine any more
Old 04-05-2002, 07:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lifestar, I share your pain. I too fell out of the nest and haven't climbed back in yet. Though I do still receive the emails - I didn't unsubscribe. Yesterday, for the first time in years, my husband had to travel out of town at the last minute. And for some reason, I got a wild hair and cleaned the kitchen. I didn't make my sink shine, but all the dishes save the macaroni casserole are clean. I even took an SOS pad to the burner thingys! Heaven help me, I may be finding my way back...

wife to David
mommie to Katie and Taylor