Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 05-29-2002, 10:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New SAHM - Excited and Scared!

Hi Everyone! I've lurked here for a very long time and I love everyone's posts, I've learned so much! Just to introduce myself, I'm 26, an accountant, I have a 3 yr old dd and my dh is 26 too, he's an electrician. On June 25 I will officially become a SAHM and I'm very excited and nervous too. We are moving to a new town that very day and my husband will be starting his own business. Everything is so overwhelming right now...a lot of changes coming up. Right now we have a really good income and will be going from regular paychecks to variable income.

I thought I'd share our experiment in "downsizing" and I'm hoping to get any advice on how you ladies do it! I'm trying to reduce every expense possible!

-We're downsizing to a smaller house and our payment will go down by almost $200.00 less a month.

-We will have well water, so no more monthly water bill!

-Smaller house = smaller power bill, I HOPE! There's a huge clothesline in the yard....hope I'm good at that.

-Just sold our 1999 car and bought a used 1983 family wagon. This also means cheaper car insurance.

-No more daycare ($100.00/week), YAY!

-I'm using coupons and deals to stock up on household stuff to take with us.

Of course, we're picking up expenses like our own health insurance, my husband's new cell phone, his business insurance, gas will be higher (because we'll be driving home a few times a month probably).

Does anyone else have unpredictable income? Any advice is welcome! Sorry I rambled on so much

Stephanie
Old 05-29-2002, 11:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Welcome and congratulations. Staying at home is great. Wow starting over ina new town............sounds great. My husband and I and our three sons currently live in California. We plan on moving to Idaho within a year. We will be traveling there this summer to look around. We just can't afford to live here anymore and this state is just going down the tubes in every aspect. A fresh start is just what we need. Please keep us updated and anyone who knows anything about Idaho, advice would be appreciated.

Stocking up and using coupons is a great idea and it does help to have the extras for when money is tight. Maybe you can start a garden too. You know where the food comes from, it saves money, and it's fun. My kids are stilll in diapers so we buy the Walmart brand for diapers and their line of formula. It's so much cheaper. We also buy clothes there as well to save money. There are lots of good threads here on frugality, I've learned so much from these ladies.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

about the variable income...

We aren't in your exact situation, because I do work FT. bUt my DH has his own business, and his income is variable.

This has worked great for us, once we figured it out, because we pay for all budgeted expenses out of my income and all seasonal or unplanned expenses from his.

The tips I would offer:
> If you can find a way to develop some form of regular income, do it. For an electrician, perhaps he can get a few business clients to put him on a retainer/contract. (Where they pay him a flat amount a month to do up to a certain amount of work.) This will usually be a lesser amount than he would normally charge for that many hours, but it is a guaranteed income. Alternately, this could be a weekend job for you. Try to make all the "important" bills be covered by the set amount.

> Try to estimate the "MINIMUM" amount your DH earns in a month/week. Plan your budget around that. Some people advise planning around the average...but if you do that, you'll incur late fees and starve on the months he is low, and be more apt to splurge when he's higher.

> When he gets a big job and the money comes in, try NOT to spend it.

> Plan, plan, analyze, anlayze. Whenever I relax about the planning or the budget, things get out of wack. But if I keep after it, just enough to keep on top of the current stuff and plan ahead about a month, then everything stays in control.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just wanted to some good thoughts and wishes. While we don't have any kids, we went down to one income this year. We moved and I left a job I had been at for 6 years. I am learning to do things the "old fashioned way" to save money. It makes me feel close to my grandmothers who are in heaven now.

I got off track. Good luck and let us help you brainstorm any problems that pop-up!
Old 05-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Best of Luck to you! You will find some great articles and inspiration right here at Family Corner.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just wanted to send positive thoughts your way
If you do decide to garden, which is definately a great way to save on food, try looking into canning. If you have never done it before, it really isn't that hard, and there are tons of websites with info on the web. There may be some initial expense with getting a pressure cooker, jars and lids, but if you hit yard sales you will probably luck out. Or put the word out to friends and family that you would like to start canning. You never know who may have everything sitting in their basement collecting dust!!!
And as far as a variable income goes, as said before, when your husband does get a big job, try to save a much as possible.
Now that you will be staying at home, you may have more time to do crafts or a different hobby where you may be able to sell the items you make for some extra money.
Good Luck!!!

Last edited by keepitmagickal; 05-30-2002 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just wanted to send positive thoughts your way
If you do decide to garden, which is definately a great way to save on food, try looking into canning. If you have never done it before, it really isn't that hard, and their are tons of websites with info on the web. Their may be some initial expense with getting a pressure cooker, jars and lids, but if you hit yard sales you will probably luck out. Or put the word out to friends and family that you would like to start canning. You never know who may have everything sitting in their basement collecting dust!!!
And as far as a variable income goes, as said before, when your husband does get a big job, try to save a much as possible.
Now that you will be staying at home, you may have more time to do crafts or a different hobby where you may be able to sell the items you make for some extra money.
Good Luck!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 11:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Any chance to tell my story, and I will jump at it...

Before my husband and I were married I was a professional nanny, I did it for about 9 years, and loved it most of the time. When we were married I became a orthodontic assistant. The plan was to work and save, and get pregnate in 3 years, at which time I would become a stay at home mom... SURPRISE, three months later I was pregante with my beautiful Darling Daughter, Gabriella. So, needless to say, We had just about a year to save. I worked up to my ninth month. We had a mortageon our new condo, and lived in NJ, and were very optimistic. My husband makes enought that we are able to do it, but with not a hell of a lot extra. That is when I began to study Frugality 101. I figure that my job is not to earn money, but to save the most money I can. When I was a nnay, I was very very very very unfrugal! You can't even imagine! SO I really had a lot to learn. It was very hard when I was trying to stock up, and get the hang of things like, knowing when something is a good price or not. But, somehow, we are doing it. We paid off the condo, moved on to a bigger house, and are still doing it. Yes, it is hard at times, especially when the unexpected comes up, but you can handle it. I am a firm believer in the thought that God only gives you what you can handle.
My only bits of advice are:
Do not let anyone think that just because you are stay at home, that means you are free to run their errands, or care for their children, for free.
Read the tightwad gazette books, and anything else your library has.
When something is dirt cheap... buy a lot
When something is not on sale.. buy something else
Garage sales are your friends.!
Good luck!
By the way, no matter what you might be lacking in funds, your are making up in family. The two are completely uncompairable.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congratulations on becoming a SAHM!! It takes creativity, persistance, and love....and your family is worth it!
Old 07-29-2002, 01:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You're [b]CoolMom[/B]!

Good job for really being a CoolMom - for making your family your top priority by becoming a SAHM! Just remember to keep focused on and inspired by your family, and don't let the other less important things take over.

Cheap - Thrifty of my/family/community's time/effort/resources by being resourceful.
NLazy - Effective/efficient servant of God/Family/Community with a minimum of effort through simplicity (thrift/self-sustainability/organization).

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -FDR

Well done is better than well said.
-Benjamin Franklin

Witty sayings mean nothing.
- Voltaire