Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 10-08-2002, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Help I am surrounded by Men

I have 3 boys, which I homeschool while I stay at home, and a husband. All of them are pigs in the bathroom. Any suggestions to reform them would be greatly appreciated.

I really do love the male species in my family, they just get on my nerves somethimes.

Thanks for letting me vent,
Old 10-12-2002, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, my dh was very good about such things as lifting the lid and aiming. We only had one son but dh taught him as well. But I did care for two little boys who didn't do well in that area and I will tell you how I cured them. I ask them a couple times to be careful etc. After that failed, and btw I was their mom's house cleaner as well, I told them...the new rules.
If they didn't lift the lid they would be provided a damp cloth for cleaning it up, if they hit anything with their *no-aim* they would also be provided a cleaning cloth. Welllll..they thought this wasn't so much fun..so after a bit of cleaning for both of them they got the drift and started doing better.
My only suggestion would be to get a box of those pre wet cleaning cloths and sit them by the toilet and ask that when they don't hit they have to use the cloth..Shouldn't take long..

Carolyn
Old 10-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My dds left their (the main) bathroom looking like a tornado went through. I set up a schedule for them to clean it. After listing all the requirements they were given 2 days a week that they were responsible for making sure the bathroom stayed clean. It took them about 2 weeks and I noticed that they were putting their things away after using them.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I can certainly relate to what you said. I also have 3 boys (13, 10 and 8 yrs old.) and a husband. Even our 2 cats are male. I was so sick of going into my kid's bathroom and seeing what shape the toilet was in and the water splashed on the mirror, and counter top and the tub that I was ready to call the health dept., have the bathroom shut down and send them packing to the yard. I instead bought the lysol wipes that they are to use on a regular basis. I have also provided cleaning towels under their sink that they are to clean up the sink and tub with. I don't mind doing the regular cleaning in there but when I have to go in there
and clean that toxic waste land, I put my foot down. They are getting better about doing the little clean ups in between the regular cleaning I do. Good Luck,

Annt
Old 10-14-2002, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh Thank You!! I have been pulling my hair out lately. I too have 2 DS's and a hubby. My 3 yr old just started using the potty on a regular basis. What fun this has been. I have been having a heck of a time trying to get him to stop playing while he's using the bathroom. What is it about boys and their aim? I'll have to start again soon with my 18 month old who is already showing interest. We've also had an issue with not making it to the bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions for this. We had an incident a few weeks ago. My DS decided to pee on my wall. I asked him what he thought he was doing and he told me that it was a fire hose.

On another note. Why are husbands just as bad? Their older and you would think that they could clean up after themselves. I have a clawfoot tub w/ shower ring. Why is it that when I take a shower there is no puddle under the tub. But when my DH takes one or gives the boys a bath it looks like a pond under there! He tells me that there's a leak in the piping somewhere. Ya right To prove a point, I put a container under the pipes "to see where it was leaking". Wouldn't you know it. NO WATER in the container - All around it but not in it!! What else can you possible do to get it thru his head? HELP!! The reason I'm so upset about this is because we're putting an addition onto the house and the tub will be in it's own room. I'm afraid that the flooring will get ruined before it has time to wear out. Any suggestions short of getting rid of my claw foot tub?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is advice I have been meaning to take myself...Put up a list of reminders in the bathroom of things you expect them to do:
Close shower curtain after shower
Place towel on towel bar
Wipe up puddles on floor

This saves you from griping at them quite as much. Tell them to check the list before leaving the bathroom.

Recently I have made cleaning the bathroom my 13 yo son's chore. It still takes close supervision as kids (or he) don't tend to be too thourough at this age. Last week something got messed up just after he cleaned it & he said "Hey, I just cleaned that."
They will begin to take pride in their work & understand your frustration. I told him in a joking way "Welcome to my world...
I just got all the laundry done so you all have to sleep in your clothes or..... No you can't have supper, I just got the kitchen clean & that would mess it up!"

Also for your kids this could be natural consequences: you make a big mess in the bathroom & now you get to clean it up.

MKS
John 11v5a
Old 10-15-2002, 12:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This advice only works if you have more than one bathroom. Put a lock on one bathroom door (yours, if you have one) and make those 3 boys use the other one. Don't clean up anything. When they can't stand the mess any longer, they may get the message!
Jonesy
Old 10-16-2002, 03:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh how I wish I has another bathroom.

I know that I have many years of this ahead of me. That's why I'm trying to teach my DS's early. LOL Just one more woman in a house full of men. Even the cat is male
Old 06-15-2004, 05:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

accomplishanything, I can SOOOO relate!! We keep wipes in there too but really, it is not that hard to AIM! What is the prob! Grrr! And the dirty half rolled up socks that are EWWWWY! UGH!

Mom to 3 sons, Wife to My Sweetie

;-) Muppet Lover Extraordinairre ;-)
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i can relate

i have 2 men in my family well actually boys i am getting them trained lol!!! i pick up the bathroom every morning so if they have clothes in any room i do not pick them up.when they yell about cloth i say i can't help you. why stress about it it won't help anyhow!!