Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 09-30-2002, 01:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle New SAHP and loving it!

Hi all
Once a former working mom - stressed to the max in Information Technology management, I have now joined your ranks. I made it through 6 layoffs and 7th was my lucky number. I'm now at home getting use to being a full-time mom.

I knew I'd like it - but it is better than I thought. Stress still exists and some days are better than others! DH is very supportive and willing to cut back to make this dream long-term.

My health has improved since I've left and my 3 darlings are enjoying mom being home.

I've been selling stuff on ebay to keep myself busy and enjoy reading posts here at family corner. Hopefully I'll be a bit more active now.

Any suggestions on making this work will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Merry mom....I'm in your boat. well somewhat. I too was in the IT field. I was laid off in January 2001, involuntarily....I really did not want to leave. I've not been able to find work since.

The good thing? I feel no work- or boss-related stress. My health is better also I believe, and I'm enjoying plenty of time with my kids.

The bad thing? We're running out of money and I'm desperately looking for work - even outside of my field at retail stores just to bring in a few bucks which isn't going to help much anyway.

Can you tell me about your ebay sales? What types of items do you sell? Is it good money for you? If I have to do something I'd rather do something like this than work in a retail store.

I'm also thinking of starting some kind of newsletter....but it's all just thinking right now.

Do you want to go back to work ever? I hope your hubby can take care of stuff. Mine was able to at first. Then his work got cut back and we're just not making it month to month anymore.

Look forward to hearing from you!!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Hi Stargazer,

I started selling my kids old clothes and videos we didn't watch on Ebay. I made about $60 one week. I've started off small so that I can gradually build up a business. I've also bought some stuff at my local wholesaler (ie Costco/Sams). Sometimes you can do well, but after the listing fees I'm not clearing too much.

The only way I see of making a real profit is to find a drop ship wholesaler. A drop shipper will allow you to buy once you sell the product and will ship the item directly to your costumer for you. If you email me, I can send you a name of a company I found that appears to be reputable. You can do your own research to determine if you think they are on the up and up. There are a lot out there that are not very nice.

You have to get a business name and tax id in order to do business with a good drop shipper. I'm half way there. I still can't figure out my states tax id process.

The other thing I'm planning to do is to teach a class on Internet shopping and auction buying and selling with my local school's adult education program. Hopefully to bring in business, I've bought some internet safety programs for $1.75 (retailed over $30) at a going out of business sale in my town. I figured I could offer free software with an hour of service.

Ebay has online tutorials and I took out auction how-to books at the library. Some ebayers sell ideas - some are better than others. One I bought - had so many typos in it - I could barely get through it. He was a fellow IT person also - which explains alot.

I have a lot of old books in good condition that I'm selling on Amazon an idea from of another Family Corner post. We have a local library that sells a lot of new books from overstocks. I'm waiting for there next sale.

I've also cut back some - but not enough. DH is working a OT to cover the shortage. The market is dead right now. I see my only option is to go into business for myself. I maybe offsetting it by working retail - no shame in doing that! Hey, you may get some good deals with your store discount to sell on Ebay!
Old 10-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Merry Mom,

I'm going to email you for that dropshipping place - I'd like to check it out.

Yes you are right -the market is so bad. It's a perfect time to go into business for yourself.

I've got all my ebay things prepped. I've been seriously thinking about putting a bunch of books up for sale.

I'm looking into some retail jobs. One will hire me on Sundays - 5.5 hours at $8 and hour. I figure after taxes, if I work 5.5. hours every Sunday for a month - I'll bring in a little over a hundred dollars. What do you do...I know when something's not worth my while - and that's not. But we really need $$. I don't know if I can get anything wholesale there, but I can definitely learn the business (health foods) and who knows, maybe I can find where they get some of their products and start selling some things online!? My husband would like that.

He also thinks aromatherapy oils and stuff would sell well, and asked me to find a supplier for those. What do you think?

Have you thought of doing something that makes use of your IT experience? Like, going to small businesses in your community and selling your services?? Or I was also thinking of providing tech support services --- get a few consultants and split fees with them...I can make $$ from 4 or 5 or 6 or...x consultants and I only do the work of one - ME! What do you think of that?
Old 10-03-2002, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Merrymom...I tried to email you and PM you - you have both features turned off on the board. Why don't you PM me first (My email is also turned off on the board) and send me your email and I'll reply. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Stayhomemommiesrule!

Hi I am a stay-home-mom too and it truly is the greatest thing ever. I used to get headaches everyday, work and stress related. Since I have been home with my 9 month old daughter I can hardly remember the last time I had a headache! Nothing beats knowing that I am there for her every need. I work at home and it's great. Of course it always wasn't perfect because I spent over a year trying out every scam in the book it seems! But anyways, I finally found a good one and am happy. I am so glad you both get to now be home with your children. Go Girls!
~Cherie
Old 10-29-2002, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,

I would like to know more about this ebay selling too. contact me at [email protected]

thanks,
Michele
Old 10-30-2002, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ebay tutorial

Hi all,
The best place to learn about Ebay for free is their self paced tutorial system.

http://pages.ebay.com/education/tutorial/index.html

I also bought a book on online auctions at my library book sale for a few dollars. It was old but well worth the money.

There is still a lot to learn. Once you go thru the tutorial, just PM me if you have any questions.

Good Luck!