Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 05-01-2002, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

SAHM

I've been at home for over ten years now and the one thing that has helped save my sanity has been the local Early Childhood Family Education group. Minnesota's ECFE program is the largest and oldest statewide support and education program for young children and their familes in the country. It is a voluntary public school program for all Minnesota families with children from birth to kindergarten enrollment. The drop-in class on Fridays has formed many long term friendships and we even formed a babysitting co-op. We have a Mom's Night Out once a month and arrange weekly get-togethers during the summer when the Friday drop in classes are not held. Check with your local school system for this kind of program and don't forget the community education classes.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Moms Clubs

I thought I would share my experiences with Moms Clubs. They have been very rewarding. Yes, some of the rules may be odd and difficult to swallow, but what you are getting is friendships with other Moms close to you and friendships for your children. I have made some strong friendships with women that I know I will not lose once I leave the club. Keep an open mind.

Theresa
a SAHM of
Alex 5 years
Emily 1 1/2 years
baby #3 due October 2002

By the way, you can check out the following website:

www.momsclub.org to find a location of a MOMS Club near you. Make some friends
Old 05-02-2002, 11:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi!
I also live away from family - we have a two year old, and a yr ago moved closer but we are still 3 hrs away. I read the other replies, and I also belong to the MOPS group in our town. I have made several wonderful close friends that I can rely on for emergency childcare, to do girl things once in awhile, to vent about our husbands and children with, and found we also share other interests besides our families, and have begun to meet on a regular basis to keep up with those interests. Our group doesnt have any of the rules such as not using money for certain things or not going out at night together or having to take the kids along, because you have to nurture your personal life, as well as your life as a couple with your significant other as well, in order to be a well-rounded person and a better parent - at least that is what I think!
The other thing i was going to tell you is that there is another nation wide program called Parents As Teachers. The programs vary from state to state, but in our city, any family can receive services regardless of Sahm or working, single parent or two, no income or a ton of money. they talk with you about your child's development at the stage they are at, teach you ways to encourage your child to meet their best potential, and just to give you the confidence to become your child's best parent & teacher. they also may have other ways for you to get together with other parents such as playgroups or group meetings and such. to find one in your area you can go totheir natl website at www.patnc.org. i think you just click on find Parents as Teachers in your area and go from there. It is hard with out immediate family nearby, but i feel so much more welcome here, and much less homesick for our old city since i joined these groups, and of course, i am a much better parent because of all of the extra support I have received! Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Howdy to ISMEMOM. I'm also in ECFE in Minnesota.

When I first became a SAHM I felt like an island. I didn't know anyone else that stayed home. I joined our ECFE group 4 years ago and love it. I met my best friend there. Our group has become so close that we get together outside of the classroom and continue to meet during the summer when "class is not in session". It's a great place to share experiences and learn to be a better parent.

I have a sister in Houston that participates in a church group for moms. She's attended for several years now and has made many close friendships.

It's worth your time to check into a mommy and me group. My son and now my daughter have made many friends there too.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

mothers' grps

Boy, I wish I lived only 10 miles away from "home"...my dearest friends and immediate family live on the west coast while we live in the midwest. I miss them very much, especially right after my mother and sister visit and I get a ton of help and company from them!

I fell into my moms' grp when I first met our future neighbor. They are a sweet group of ladies (3 plus myself) and since their children are the same ages as my kids (within a half year or so), it was great to have the group while my kids were young. But I have next to nothing in common with these women, and now that my children are older, I am yearning to make friends with more like-minded people rather than people with kids the same age as mine.

My problem is that I don't know how to tell them I've "outgrown" the grp. Sooo, my advise is, for when you're joining or forming a grp, to find people with whom you share some passions (like hobbies, ideals, etc). Kids will play together provided there isn't a huge gap in their ages, but the grp should nurture your soul in the short and long run.

Find out more about autism at:
Autism Research Institute
Old 05-06-2002, 07:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

MOMS Club

I am dissappointed that there aren't more positive messages about MOMS (moms offering moms support) CLUB. I have been a member since we started ours in Renton, WA and I love it. MOMS Club is a great way to get to know other moms during the day when we need to get out of the house (It was sometimes the only reason I showered before noon in my early days of motherhood!!) There are rules that the national organization has set to keep things simple. I have found most of these rules to be a huge benefit rather than a hindrance. They do only allow one MOMS Night Out a month but that is to protect family time. I know my husband would not be happy if I was going out 3 or 4 times a month with "just the girls". It is also good because you don't want anyone to feel like they have to go out all the time. Once a month is actually quite a good amount. I am also part of a playgroup with moms I like and enjoy spending time with outside of MOMS Club activites. Every once in a while we decide to have a playgroup MNO which, of course, is unofficial so if we wanted we could do it every week if we wanted. I am also part of an unofficial book group that meets in the evenings once a month. We have put a notice in our newsletter that if anyone is interested they can contact us but it doesn't end up on the calendar. So it seems to me that the rules aren't really a problem and I like that it is so inexpensive. Our dues are only $20 a year. I had tried doing Gymboree and other kids clases when my son was first born and they cost so much and you don't really get a chance to talk with other moms ( I found that there were a lot of nannies at Gymboree anyway!!) MOMS Club is something I do for me, the fact that my children enjoy it and have lots of friends is an added blessing!!
I have also been doing MOPS for 3 years and love that too but for different reasons. I love dropping my kids off for 2 precious hours and gettting a hot cup of coffee, sitting down and chatting with other moms without interuption. I love hearing the speaker and doing the craft. It is a wonderful vacation for me. I reccommend you check out both organizations and decide for yourself. I have also heard many good things about PEPS (sorry don't know what is stands for, but someone can tell you) which matches you up with other moms in your area who have children very close in age. I would have probably done this program if I had known about it when my son was born, but the nice thing about MOMS Club and MOPS is that you can talk with moms who have kids who are older and have been through everything already!!
Good Luck
Lindy
www.momsclub.org
www.mops.org
Gus 7/02
Old 05-10-2002, 09:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I found this website very helpful for moms looking for other moms locally. http://www.matchingmoms.com You can go in and register your information, it will then find moms(WAHM, SAHM, any moms) in your area. You can find moms that have children the same age as yours as well. It's really a great website! Wish I would have thought of it!

Kim
Old 05-12-2002, 03:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our church has a program that meets the 2nd and 4 th Tuesdays of the month for SAHM. They provide nursery services. The moms get together for Bible Study with topics like discipline, family relationships, etc. They call the program MOMS which stands for "Making Our Mothering Significant".
Old 06-07-2002, 04:28 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I joined the "Moms Club" and I have really liked it. I lived in CA a year ago, and then my husband was transferred to NJ! I have met a very nice woman there, and we are great friends. AND she lives 4 blocks away!

I see someone already posted the website, but I also found this in my explorations:

Mothers and More:

http://www.mothersandmore.org/

It's the same idea.

Jen

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com