Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 08-06-2002, 08:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Sahm

Hi everybody, This is my first time sending a new thread to SAHM.
I am 38 years old and i am disabled so i don't have a choice to stay at home. I get lonely and bored and i want to make new friends. I have been living in rockland county for 2 years and I made some wonderful friends but most of them are busy working or taking care of their kids. I have one daughter and she is 9 yrs old so when she is in school i would like to have friends to get together with i also have a dog i love too. My whole family lives in long island so i have to drive about 1 & 1/2 hrs to see my family. I do it as often as i can but sometimes it's a hassel. I just wanted to introduce myself my name is millie. Thanks for listening
Old 08-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Millie

Welcome to the boards !!

I have been a stay at home mom for 5 yrs now but recently Ive tried a stint with going back to work. ( It didnt work out well though... the hours just didnt mesh right with my DH's job hours).

I can relate to having all of my friends and relatives living away and/or being too busy. Im still on the verge of going kooky sometimes with the lack of adult ( especially female) conversation. I was so happy when I stumbled across this site ! It has become my home away from home. There are many wonderful people from all over the place right here at your fingertips ! Dont be shy !! Join in and talk to us.

Hope to get to know you better in the coming days !

Tami
Old 08-08-2002, 11:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

sahm

I just want to say thanks to tami for answering my thread so quickly that was very kind of you and I will also keep on coming
back to chat. Thanks again Millie
Old 08-09-2002, 07:58 AM

Hi Millie! Yes, being an SAHM can be lonely at times. Do you have a Mom's group, a ladies group at church or a hobby (scrapbooking, gardening, sewing) you're interested in? I love to quilt, and the local Quilt Guild has many wonderful ladies. I just had my quilt group at my house last night. We work on a small project and then have dessert.

Old 08-10-2002, 09:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Millie,I am a SAHM too! I have only been home 2 years and it is just the best!!! I am very lucky tobe able to do this. I usually keep busy with housework, cooking, sewing, crafts, gardening, painting and some days I just goof off!!!

I try to go out to lunch with a friend about once a month. It is hard when all your friends are in the work force and then too bushed to do anything fun. I remember those days. I just pray and hope I can remain at home, I would hate to go back in the rat race!

janet
Old 10-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

SAHM

Hi:
I'm disabled and retired. Even though I'm disabled,I was able to do some volunteer work with the Red Cross and helped the Pastor at church with administrative work. You might look into that.
The suggestions to get involved in church groups was good too. Don't over do. They say 10%of the people at church do 90% of the work and I know that is true since I volunteered and since I was there during the day, everything that needed done and the secretary didn't have time to do, I was asked to do. Finally, I said, "enough" and lightened the load. But it did me good to get out of the house. I don't have any children at home, live out in the country, so had to get out some.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Boy, just ran into a person that I used to work with and they are so !*^#%&@* bad. How in the world do you respond when asked, what are you up to? I usually respond that I am a stay at home Mom and I am enjoying my life....I got the oooh...in a sacrastic voice. What a brat!!! How do you all answer this question?

janet

A kind word never broke anyone's mouth.
~ Irish Proverb~
Old 10-21-2002, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, Janet, after a while, you've heard it all. After ten years of being a SAHM, I'm about ready to go find a job outside the home. I'm tired of everyone thinking I have so much time on my hands.

I have been doing some machine quilting for other people and selling a few crafts. So I've started responding that I'm a quilter.

Some women are so jealous, that their response is a comment on their dissatisfaction with their own life. You just have to blow it off.

Don't let the turkeys get you down.

Old 10-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good advice rainequilts, I guess I am not a blow it off person, or let it roll off my back...I will have to strive for that! Or maybe I have to find a smart-aleck response like...Oh..having sex every day many times sure keeps me busy! lol

I am so bad.....
janet

A kind word never broke anyone's mouth.
~ Irish Proverb~
Old 12-10-2002, 10:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What do you do answer

I hate that when I tell people I am a SAHM, and they ask what I'm going to do when my kids start school, like this is some kind of temporary thing I'm being forced to do or something. I ENJOY being a SAHM, I've been a SAHM since I was 3 months pregnant with my first child, and although it can be very frustrating and exhausting at times (my children are 15 months and 4 years old), I still love it, and wouldn't rather do anything. What really gets me though is how when I did work, I would get hassled about why I didn't stay home, so I think it's just whatever we are, we want the same in our fellow ladies, and when they aren't doing the same, for some reason we want an explanation, like we are wondering "Are you doing that because you have to, or because you want to?" And then we judge based on that. I've noticed when I meet women who work, I immediately wonder "Is she doing that because they need the money and can't afford for her to stay home, or because she loves her carreer?" But I try never to ask. I just compliment them on their choice, because I know both options can be very rewarding, and very exhausting. Anyway, I'm a proud SAHM.

Proud Postcard Angel, You can be one too!! Just click on the little "WWW" button below, with the house on it, and you will be taken to the site to find out more!!