Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i am definately a SAHM

do any of you other SAHM get told you dont do anything? that its not really a job.
I can tell you for a fact i am gone more days than not, with dr. app, dental appointments, grocery shopping, school activities. then i get to come home and make dinner for 7 people, even when im sick.
SAHM dont get breaks, vacations, sick days, pay, and usually even respect lol
i would not trade being a sahm for the world. i loved being able to chaperone all my kids trips, go to all their plays, award ceremonies, sports function, parent teacher meetings.
I just wish that My DH would see that what i do is a job and a hard one at that. and that i dont just sit on my butt eating bon bons all day
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Welcome to FC!!

I couldn't agree more with what you said!! 95% of the time my dh will remember that I DO have a job within this house.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree 100%.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

karriel, I was blessed to be able to be a SAHM for my two dds. While my DH was very appreciative of how hard a job it was and how much I did during the course of the day, it was always other people who thought I had all kinds of free time on my hands. Cherish and enjoy this time. My dds are 19 and 16 and I am back to work now, but I really do miss those days.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Karriel!

First off, I have to ask if you name is Karrie? That is my DD's name, with same spelling! Odd enough our last name begins with the letter L.

Now on to your post. My DH use to make snide comments about how I live the life just hanging out here at home.

Until this summer, when he was laid off all summer. He complained almost every day about how hard our DS is on him. DH was not doing the cleaning or the laundry!

Now he is back to work, the comments about hanging out are starting to come back. But, I think he will never forget this summer, and he will always remember how hard it is just chasing/running kids around.

I do have neighbors, that think that I should have more time on my hands. I just brush them off, and point out different factors. I.E. their children are not in sports, with practice 2X per week with a game every week.

Just enjoy being at home, and taking care of your family!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

yep my mom said they names me after a seattle seahawk football player that just happens to have the name karrie. but i have rarely seen anyone with it spelled like that... its a good name if i say so myself..lol

sometimes DH will say what a good mom i am, ect... but there are times like when i ask him why he just comes in takes off his shoes and leaves it right wherever he took it off, or when we are arguing, and he will make nasty comments about me doing nothing but sitting on me butt. one time i believe his words were " i sit on my princess a$$ like the princesses i think i am" now that reall bothers me. since not only do i do whats gotta be done with the kids, the house, the food, the laundry...all that... i also help cut firewood, help build fences, help whe the cows get out, dig ditches.. stuff i would have never done before i married him...
it just really hurts my feelings when he says those things. of course to him feelings are a weakness and he says im not emotional.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karriel, I absolutely agree. Though I am a stay at home mom who also does homedaycare, I see people'e eyes glaze over when I tell them what I do as if I do not have a brain. And people think you do nothing all day but watch tv etc. It is frustrating! But I wouldn't trade what I do for the world even though my oldest two dks are 20 and 22 and my youngest is 15!!!

~Mother Theresa