Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 06-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Trying to go back to work

I have a 26 month old that I stay home with while my fiance works. I haven't worked for the past year and a half besides a seasonal job I had for a month around Christmas. We're doing ok, but we could really use some extra income to pay the bills and have some extra. Anyways, I found a site online where it helps you type up a resume and it will send it to who you want. I've sent to four different places, but I haven't even gotten a phone call! It's upsetting to me because they're for jobs I know I'm qualified for, even over-qualified. I can't just go out and get a job, I need nighttime hours so I can still be with my daughter during the day. Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I'd work from home, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't take start-up money or that I can see myself actually making money with.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:58 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi, Lissa!

Just because the place on the internet only sent it to 4 places, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your eyes open. Try going to the employent office in your area...talk to friends to see if they have heard of anything...check the paper.

And remember, BE PATIENT. I used to get interviews as soon as I submitted my resume. And I knew once I was interviewed, I would be hired. But the last time, I sent out 106 resumes, before I finally got a job. It was 4 months of waiting, but well worth the wait in the end. I was SO depressed. I couldn't believe that no one would even interview me. I was "over-qualified" for most of the jobs I applied for too, and I finally had the courage to ask them why they never considered me, and they said that was why. I was over-qualified. I really don't think it is because you have stayed home.

If necessary, deliver newspapers. You can take your daughter with you. There are some card places that have you come in and stock their shelves. If this interests you, you could study at home to be a real estate agent, and then you can work from home. There are also jobs like Avon, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, PartyLite, Usborne Books...where you do the parties to your schedule, but you can always stuff mail boxes with your daughter during the day. Some manufacturers in your area may be interested if you approach them to sell their surplus items at eBay for a commission. (If this sounds good, let me know and I will tell you what I do, as I am doing this right now.)

Working from home (from my experience only) works if your old job would hire you back on and let you work at home, OR if you are creative in some way (writing, painting etc.) and can use your home time to create. Do you have any talent like that that you could explore? If so, try it. It may not be lucrative now, but it may be later. (I am doing this too.)

Good luck! If anyone else replies that makes me think of anything else, I will let you know.

Jen

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 06-29-2002, 11:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lisa

I appreciate your circumstances. Have you ever thought about doing something from home? Since you have a small child, I would love to speak with you about something I am doing that might interest you.Please email for further details.
I'm at [email protected] or reach me at [email protected]

I promise, I'll only give you information.
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2002, 05:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

trying to go back to work

This wasn't the same situation, but when I needed a second (evening/night) job a long time ago, I worked at a really nice local hotel as a desk person. The pay was ok for a supplemental income, and they were really flexible with my hours. (They need someone there around the clock.) I only worked a few nights a week, but I would recommend it to someone who needs those types of hours. There aren't too many night jobs out that are flexible, besides selling out of your house. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2002, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Since you have a small child, have you thought of taking in one or more children yourself? You get to stay home with your child, you don't have to get new clothes for work, and you don't have to buy gas. If you decide to do this, write to me and I'll fill you in on some basics you might want to start out with. Kathy
[email protected]
Old 06-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks everyone for your ideas and support! You all have given me some great ideas. I think I'll look into working from home if I can find something worthwhile. Doing that I could still try to find a night job if needed. We've also been thinking of having our dd start daycare if there were a possibility of my getting a day job that would pay well enough, tho I'd really prefer to work from home. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

amcbride and reading 51- I'm not sure if either of you sent me info by e-mail, but if you did could you please re-send? Something happened and all of my e-mails got erased today! I really appreciate your help!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

An option for you would be to work from your home. Example
selling Mary Kay Cosmetics. If that's not right for you there's
also Pampered Chef or Tastefully Simple. Also other standby
would be Tupperware or Avon Cosmetics.
You can name your own hours and work around your children's
schedule. It's a nice way to meet your neighbors and expand
your friendships.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have thought about the Mary Kay and Avon, but we never seem to have the extra money to buy the starter packs. It seems like everything I've looked at requires $100 to start. That's not a lot of money, but when you don't have it... Hopefully in the next few months we can save specifically for that reason, and in the meantime I can look into other options. Thanks for the ideas! I had never heard of The Pampered Chef before, but now I think that might be the way to go!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Lissa,

I am a WAHM. I do daycare and also run a home biz. I would be happy to chat with you about all of it. I was a single parent for 6 yrs and missed so much with my kids. I hated taking them to daycare everyday and not seeing them much. So when I met my wonderful fiance I was able to stay home. :D I dont miss a thing now...I take my son to school and pick him up everyday and my youngest still is home one more year. I love spending time with him. I have a few kids I watch during the day which gives him some interaction with others. Its truely a dream come true. As for my home biz its things that I use and r safer than other products. I save even more money by purchasing them. I dont sell them to anyone. I just help them sign up as a member. you can email me anytime to chat.. [email protected] look forward to hearing from you.

Michele