Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 01-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Post Freelance Writing

Kim,

I thought I'd answer here, in case any one else is interested. There are a couple ways to get involved in freelancing. One way is to join a local writers' group. Another way is to join an online writers' group. And yet another way is to start submitting to magazines.

The first two options, joining a group, will allow you to show your work to others and get feedback without getting a rejection slip. There are many people who attempt to do freelancing, but some of them really shouldn't ... at least not until they improve their style a little!

I took a writing course, through Long Ridge Writer's Institute. Then I wrote something for a friend, and then I wrote something for Amanda (yes, the Webmom!) and I've been going ever since! So, you could probably say that the Family Corner was my big break. :D

What you're looking for, someplace that will give you a topic to write on, won't happen until you've established yourself as a writer ... unless you're really lucky. Usually, you start out pitching queries to the zine, and then after awhile the editors start contacting you to write what they want you to write (assignments). But the editor usually needs to know your work, first. Everyone has their own style of writing, and not everyone can write everything. Some articles are better written by one writer and not another. (Sounds like acting!)

As for full-time work as a writer, you could get an editing job or a reporting job, or even a job as a technical writer for some big company. There are ways to write for a living, but it takes time, just like any other job. You cannot work at it part-time and expect full-time pay when you are just starting out.

Best-selling books pay well, from what I hear.

If you'd like, you can send me the article you wrote about your son - I'll take a look at it and give you my honest opinion. But, please know that it will be my opinion. I could hate it, or I could love it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same.

Kelly H.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Post Freelancing

The subject of freelancing has been raised as a possible way to work at home. Let me tell you about my experience ...

I've always liked writing letters. Sending Thank You notes after my wedding was like playing for me. They were all handwritten, and all personalized. It was about that time that people started telling me that I write like I talk. I decided to take the writing course available through Long Ridge Writers Institute. Because of my growing family, it took me over two years to complete the course, but I DID IT!

I then joined an e-mail list for writers, and found out about the need for writers here at Family Corner.com. I spend time checking the Web for other sites to write for, plus I check for writers guidelines for print magazines.

My biggest tips for anyone wanting to do this:

1) Read the magazine! Get a good feel for it and make sure that what you plan to submit fits it, and that it hasn't been written about recently.

2) Get the writers' guidelines. These will tell you how much they buy from freelancers, and what areas of the mag are open to freelancing. It will also give you an idea of how long it takes for the mag to answer you, whether you send a query or a completed manuscript.

3) Read lots of books (and even Web sites) on writing from the library, or purchase a few for yourself. Many of them will tell you how to set up the manuscript, and how to write a query letter.

4) Be professional! If you talk to an editor once, don't assume that you are now best friends!

5) Find other writers to interact with. There are various places on the Web to do this: writing e-mail lists and forums/bulletin boards.

I hope I've answered a few of your questions. If you have specific questions I would be glad to answer them. Like any job, you need to be able to ask the questions before anyone can answer them. Feel free to contact me if you wish. I'm always glad to help.

Kelly H.

Last edited by HOMEWriter; 04-08-2002 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I tried the link to long ridge writers and it took me to something called Netster?!? Is this right?
Old 04-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

blushing So sorry!

I fixed the link ~

Kelly H.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thankyou! Will be checking out very soon, I love writing.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a freelancer but it is with hair and makeup. I have a cosmetology license and I have been trying to get into weddings but write now I am doing my sewing buisness, well...trying.