Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 05-25-2002, 12:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leap of faith

I worked at my former job for 17 yrs. With 2 small children I was torn each day as I went to work. When we moved to a nicer city, my commute tripled & day care costs soared. Day care was scarse in the new town. When our day care decided she wanted 3 day wkends my husband found a nanny. We thought this will be great. NOT. It did give me living proof that we could live on a substantially smaller amount. What I was bringing home after deducting gas, and nanny costs it was equal to what P/T work would provide.
I set aside two months of bill costs in our savings before I quit
In April 2002, after alot of inward reflection I left my job of 18 yrs and embarked on a new more fulfilling career. Motherhood. There are times I question my decision.

I'm actively looking for evening part time work.

Try it out see if it is for you. There is a lot of adjusting. Remember it's quality not quantity of time. Good luck and feel free to write me. I have walked that path recently and know it well!
Old 07-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Jamelle

Go for it!!!

I truely believe that staying at home is worth more than anything. It may take some changes, but the rewards will be great. I have started taking a class for medical transcription, which I'm almost finished with. I'm excited to have the chance to still earn a part time income and stay at home. I have also teamed up with some friends and we are making a small income referring friends to a catalog company.

Last edited by ajrsmom; 07-16-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been both a working mom and a stay at home mom. With my first husband I didn't work while pregnant and he griped! I'm sorry I guess I ticked him off...I told him it's the guy's job to be the breadwinner. My mom was a single mom and worked all the time and we hardly saw her and when she married she still worked and I was caretaker to my sister -cooking, cleaning, homework, basically things the mom does. So before I married the first time HE knew my view and it was fine as he was miltary but he screwed that up got kicked out! So I worked for my parents, who own a business, as a clerk and over the years taught myself everything about the books-accounting. Everytime the ex would lose a job it was up to me to bail us out by working-of course he didn't make that easy either-never watched the kids or compromise with schedules...I made more money while working also and sometimes he even would be working and I'd work as well and he'd stop paying bills since I was working...putz huh? yep...and I'm the schmuck that fell for it.

Over time I liked the freedom -and money- of working but when I got a divorce he screwed me over big time and I didn't have ANYTHING-no job, car, money, nothing. That was Oct99, I didn't and haven't had a job since. What happened was I lived with my sister -basically nanny to her kids, and then moved to my mom's and worked for them but no pay as I lived there and didn't have to buy anything or pay any bills. I met my husband (the new one) online and we got married and he wanted me to stay home. He makes REALLY good money compared to the ex ever did and we can afford me to stay home.

Sure we'd like a newer house but I'm ok with fixing this one up nice for the time. We'll be debt free in about a year (alot from ex spouses) and that's being done by diligent paying offs, alot of stocking up with sales, I'm trying to learn to sew, making gifts, doing cheaper things with familytime, etc. (his ex and him used to taek trips and eat out ALL the time-sometimes I am bummed aobut it as I'd LIKE to eat out too but don't) I know in about 3 years we will be building our dream house and this is a good lesson in patience for me, lol. Sometimes I think I'd rather go to work-my kids are in school now and up until Feb I thought I'd be getting a part time job in the fall but instead I'm going back to the ranks of new mom. I'm lucky that John wants me home with the kids...it IS the best job a woman could ever have and it's me that is home after school to hear about their days and it's me that bakes the cookies, listens to the same joke a hundred time, and is there when a tooth falls out. Stuff I'd miss by working and a bigger better house isn't as important as that...

just my opinion...and ramble...lol

I would suggest that if you are still working to continue to do so, and then SAVE some of that salary and do as much tapering off of spending NOW. Then you'll be more used to the shock of less money adn have some cash in the bank for emergencies...

good luck
Old 02-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: There's no place like home - so why am I still working?

Quote:
Originally posted by merrymom
I'd love to hear some advise from some SAHMs who made the leap of faith!

I'm a working (full-time) mom with 3 lovely but challenging children g 7, g 4 and b 20 mos. I have been toying around with the idea of staying home even starting my own business - which would just be another full-time job. I have a variety of skills and can do almost anything with a computer. My own business would allow for a very flexible schedule.

The big hesitation - I make more than dh and I'd have to bring home some income to pay off our commitments. With an odd market, I'm afraid to take the leap of faith and quit. My company downsized 55% - I volunteered for layoff but they don't want to lose me. In fact, I received a big raise. This is not making my decision any easier.

DH is supportive, whatever I do - he just wants to keep me happy. What a dear! Without my income, we'll pay less taxes, won't have daycare expenses and commuting and clothing costs will decrease. I've worked out a budget but it will be tight.

I want to be home with my kids - I've already missed so much. Work is so stressful - I'm tense all the time and it's drifting into my home life. I'm answering my own question here - aren't I?

How tough is it to stay at home and live on one income?
WOW merrymom!! We could be twins!! I am in teh exact same situation except I only have one step son and one on the way. I make more than hubby so me quitting is nerveracking for me. I am not worried about cutting out those un-needed "extras" but more not being able to make it. I have paid off all our debt, cut back on all expenses where we only have the bare neccesities but it still makes me nervous. The only thing weighing the scales more evenly is the fact that if I remain working outside the home once baby is born we will then have to pay another $1,000 a month out in daycare. I don't know when this thread was orignally posted (I just stumbled upon it today wondering around) Are you still working or did you take the leap???

TX Chef Fran
Old 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Merrymom...

Are you still working or did you take the leap? This thread kind of fizzled out.

I am now 30wks pregnant and still tossing the idea around of staying home. My husband is NOT excited about it as he thinks we will jsut sink if I don't work as I make way more than him but I think of this way. What would we do if I were laid off or fired? We woudl figure it out. So I say JUMP and figure it out.

TX Chef Fran
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Let's see if anyone would like to asdd to this thread now.

Maybe mom of 2 could let us know if she did take the leap.
TxChef Fran ~ how about you. I think I read you were having a few hassles sometime back on a nother thread.

How is everyone doing?