Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 05-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sorry for the negative attitude about having less income. It was a moment, thankfully they don't happen that often. I do not regret the 5 + years I've been a SAHM!!! And for the most part the less income was compensated by the less expenses!

Another suprise reduction was car insurance...if you let your agent know you aren't commuting, it should lower your rate!
Old 05-24-2002, 10:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm a sah/wah mom too. And we've had to make some sacrifices in order for me to do that.

Having said that...it sounds like you've been smart about figuring out just how much you need to keep up with your financial obligations. It might be a strain for awhile, but maybe try starting up your working from home before you leave your job? That would allow you to keep bringing the income in that your family has been accustomed to while building your new income from home.

Just an idea...good luck!

~Jenny-trying to type with a 2 year old on her lap
Old 05-24-2002, 11:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a 6 1/2 year old and started staying home when he was 2 1/2. Best decision I ever made. I say if you can, in any way, do it, you will not regret it. It's tough at times, but I've been able to pick up odd jobs here and there. At one time I delivered pizzas 1 night a week and with tips was able to bring home almost $100/week. And there are so many little things that help you to save money by not working. The obvious things are daycare, clothing, gas, food, and taxes, but also someone mentioned car insurance. I was able to be classified as an occasional driver. Being able to plan out meals, do your own laundry (instead of having to have clothing drycleaned), etc, etc. I say if you want to, go for it and don't look back. You have plenty of your life to work. JMHO, of course.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Recently new to being a SAHM

I'd had a rewarding and challenging professional career...until the lay-off about 3 months ago.

Two of my children were in day care and two were in private school. The oldest two completed school (K-5 and 3rd) in May. I kept the youngest 2 in daycare for an additional month while seeking employment.

Employment never called and job market is tight. Wouldn't you know it, as soon I as took the two little ones out of daycare, the calls for employment and interviews came rolling in.

I've had so much fun being at home with the children that I'm considering being a SAHM my new profession. We're saving on daycare, which in MD is enormous. No more tuition for private school since school has ended for the year.

I haven't had time to find playgroups, as we've been busy finally tackling the "I'll do it when I find time" projects for around the house. Plus I teach swimming on weekends at a local spa and have free access to the gym. While I work out everyday, they have a free kidszone. So they children are making new friends and so am I.

This is the first time that my children and I will actually get to take a vacation...even though it's just to Grandma's who lives out of state. We're planning to spend the summer there while my husband rules his castle back at home. (oh my!!)

I had an excellent salary but spend it all on daycare and tuition. Unemployment is a big help to build up the savings and pay off some bills as well.

Once fall begins, I may have the opportunity to teach at the children's school. The salary is considerably lower, however, tuituion would be FREE and they'd receive a great education. Can't beat that. And, I'll have some play money.

Yes, we have debts, and LOTS of them, house payments, 2 vehicle payments, credit cards and can't forget Uncle
Sam! But we're surviving.

It can be done. I thought being laid-off would be so stressful. My co-workers see me now and can't believe how relaxed I look. We still have monthly luncheons together so I can keep up on things.

Good luck in what ever you decide. My decision was made for me, and I have absolutely no regrets!
Camden-3
Cassandra-1
Old 05-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

leap of faith, SAHM

I am also wanting to take that leap of faith. I have a 3 yo and a 9 month old. Our plan is for me to become part-time when my 3 yo goes to kindergarten. We should be close to debt free and looking for a house. Right now we rent. I would love to be a sahm but like a lot of you, I make more than my husband and I am afraid we will not be able to keep up with the bills. I am lucky that we have a friend of the family to keep the boys and my mother helps out when she can ( she is very ill with a terminal illness and that is also what scares me because she has always worked her fingers to the bone and I feel that is why she is in the shape she is now and I do not want that to happen to me). I have faith that our dream will come true in another two years. Congradulations to all of you who took that leap of faith. Keep up the good work of raising our future politicians, teachers, doctors, lawyers and so forth. Have a wonderful day one and all.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I quickly scanned the other thoughts and all are very insightful. I just want to add a thought (I am a SAH Nana. My 2 oldest daughters are divorced and must work so I watch the 3 kids). I have read articles about people who sell/re-sell items on E-bay. I have sold some things myself with great success. Many simply buy clearance clothes (any size) in department stores or buy items in yard sales for re-selling. I have sold shoes and hand crafted items and look forward to giving it a try again once yard sale season gets under way fully again. One article I read in a woman's magazine told of a woman who makes more money doing this than she ever did working and is therefore able to stay home with her kids.

Good luck with however you go aobut this! Your kids are only young once and for such a short time.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-25-2002, 04:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I also sell things on ebay. If you really set your mind to it, you CAN make lots of money. In the summer, go to garage sales. Buy things you know are worth reselling and sell them. It gets a little harder in the winter (I live in Minnesota, so no garage sales) but if you stock up in the summer, you can use that to sell all winter.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Life skill opportunities

There are so many good post here. There is one more thing that I'd like to share. My dh is locked in his job and there hasn't been a raise in awhile. But the babies still came and blessed our lives. We are stopping at five. But a tight income is a great life skill for your kids. What an example we can be for our kids. (Being good money managers.) We never know where life will take them. It's good to have your kids have to wait for what they want. It's good for them to not get what they always want. I have the most unspoiled kids. They are thrilled with garage sale finds. They love the second hand store. They are nicer kids, I believe, because I have stayed home with them and give them positive influence. Your one-on-one time will make them feel like they are important to the one person that they will always feel is important, their parent. Make a tight budget your family sport.

Sue
Old 05-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't mean to harp on selling on E-bay LOL, but do want to share this information for anyone who is interested. I have been gone for a few days and while cleaning out the in-box ran across this article about selling on E-bay. The article is in the Pennypincher E-zine and the link is:

To subscribe to The Pennypincher, send a
blank e-mail to:
[email protected]
or visit the website at:
http://www.AllThingsFrugal.com

It makes me want to get out and shop!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-25-2002, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Merrymom! I have been "at home" now for about a year. I love it. Love . Love . It.
My husband and I have never had a ton of money, and it was hard at first since I had the full time job.
We put together a budget, figured what we spent the rest of our money on that didn't go to bills. We are doing fine. And God is good.
The stress level at our house is pretty much zilch. I used to teach 2 grades (a combined class), work on getting my MA, help at our retail business, keep up the house and family. He managed the store and worked another part time job. It was killing us "trying to keep up with society."
Well, society can have it's stress.
We live on a small income. I sell on eBay (which is very very fun) and tutor children. We pay our bills on his income. He also has a small Internet business. We are having a great time! Life is finally not passing us by
Go with your heart, and if you are a beliver, with what God says. He will make His way work even when it looks ridiculous to us and everyone else. (And by the way, I am not saying that all Moms should stay home. This is just what is right for my family right now---------and possibly yours)
God Bless!!
Frogstore