Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 05-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Nine Year Member

Question Stay-a-home goes back to work

Hello everyone!

I live in a small town and employment options are very competitive, so what are your ideals on the best "family orientated" job opportunities? I want a good job, but I want to be there for my kids after school.

For those of you who work ( from home or at a place of business) what ideals and advice can you give me? I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for everything!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I live in a small town too and I think if you can get on at the local school system....maybe substitute teaching, cafeteria worker, office work etc...unless of course you are qualified to earn a teaching certificate. It seems around here those are the best jobs for working moms. I am not fortunate enough to have one of those.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question flex jobs

In the small office that I manage, we have flexible hours. One lady comes in at 6 am and works until 2:30, another comes in at 8 am and works until 4:30, another comes in at 9 am and works until 5:30, another comes in at 8 and works until 1:00, and another one works whatever 4 hours or so that she wants to when she wants to. I believe more and more work places are being flexible with hours in order to attract working mothers. By working with the ladies schedule, we have far happier workers and they are more productive during the hours that they are there. Whatever job you are skilled at, just ask up front if they are flexible with the hours you work. I wish you luck with your quest to find a job that allows you to be home when your children are and I respect your desire to be at home when your children are.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is hope

Hi Bernice, Don't despair, I have an eight year old and a 6 year old. We live on an island with almost 8000 year round residence. When it comes to the summer we swell to almost triple the people. I thought what am I good at? Well, I do alot of cleaning and picking up after my family. My husband and I said that I would be a sah. and raise the children. In this day and age that is almost impossible. I started cleaning houses. You can pick your times in the day. Some of the clients I started with were seniors that needed some help a couple hours a week, then I targeted families that both parents work. I can even bring the children to some of the houses. It has been my dream job. It feels great to clean a house and look back afterwards and say wow I did that. Of course I have had to let go of having my own house as clean as I would like it but that will happen in time. I hope that I have been some help. I have been doing it for three years now and I still love it.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been a SAHP for five yrs (since twins were born). I quit a $35,000+/yr job...boy was that difficult. It hasn't been great (money-wise) since then, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world! Last year, we qualified for the twins to go to Head Start, a federally funded pre-school program (my son had been the previous 2 yrs). I put them in the classroom at our local community college and took classes towards my associates degree in Early Childhood Education (already have one in Business Computer Programming). This past school yr, I have been a substitute teacher for Head Start; next school yr, I hope to be full time. I work just about the same hours that the kids are in school. The only thing I have to think about is teacher workdays...I am not supposed to bring them with me to work. But, if you like working with children, it might be something to look into. Most counties (maybe not all towns within) have some type of federally funded preschool program (in the US).

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

part time job

Hi,
I took a job for two years part time at an insurance company. I found an agent that didn't mind my request of working two days a week and only when school was in session. LOL! I even talked him into letting me take the summers off! I realize this may not be easy to replicate with another agent but it is worth a try.

After I started this job several other agents told me they would love to have someone like me and would offer the same deal. The reason this worked is I came in when I was supposed to and worked while I was there. Amazingly enough it seems to be hard
to find employees that will do that. I didn't make a lot of money per hour but it was much better than minimum wage. Even though I went back to staying at home I still get calls from my old boss at least twice a year asking me to come back.

Best of luck,
Diana

Old 05-24-2002, 07:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband works full time, so I don't need to bring in a lot of money. However, I do some babysitting...along side my home business' to help out with the income. I only watch 2 kids, so including my 3...I have 5 kids during the summer. (school year I only have 4) It doesn't pay like a normal job, but it helps.

Have you looked into any daycare centers that may be looking for some help? Looking into the schools is a good idea, but with summer coming, you probably wouldn't get in until after summer, so if you are looking for something now..daycare might work. Housecleaning is fine to, if you like to do that.

Good luck

Kim Troutman
Old 05-24-2002, 07:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Don't know how large a town you're in -- but for the last five years (since my youngest dd started kindergarden), I've worked as a retail merchandiser for a major greeting card manufacturer. While some stores have their employees maintain the dept., most stores have a person paid by the card company that takes care of the dept.

This job has worked really well for me. It's VERY flexible; in fact, I may come and go from a store a couple times during a day, leaving to help at school or take one of the kids to an appointment. The only drawback is that you must still work in the summer, though it's the slow period (from after Father's Day until time to set cards for Halloween). I started out working just a few hours, but as I had more time available, I was able to get more stores (at one time, I was responsible for 4 stores -- K-Mart, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, and the balloons at Wal-Mart!)

If you think you might be interested, talk to store management about the best place to leave a note for the rep. You might also check the internet for Hallmark or American Greetings web sites.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Stay at home mom......

I AM CURRANTLY A STAY AT HOME MOM......I JUST RESENTLY HAD A

BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY(AGE 7 WEEKS) AND I ALSO HAVE A FOUR

YEAR OLD DAUGHTER...I WAS ABLE TO STAY AT HOME WITH HER

SINCE SHE WAS BORN AND I WOULD HAVE NEVER MISSED IT FOR

THE WORLD.......BUT NOW THAT WE HAVE TWO CHILDREN WE

NEED MORE OF AN INCOME SO I OPENED A DAY HOME IN MY

HOUSE. I FIND THIS VERY REWARDING BECAUSE NOT ONLY DO I

GET TO STAY AT HOME WITH MY NEW BABY...I GET TO SPEND TIME

WITH MY DAUGHTER...SHE HAS FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH...and.....I MAKE MONEY !!!! (LOL)

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 05-29-2002, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I know I am a little late in posting this but just an idea that has been working for us. I also live in a very small town. I don't know that you are looking for a big money maker or just something to help out... but all that said, I started cleaning for elderly ladies. I don't charge a lot as most of them are on fixed incomes but they are happy for the company as well as the help to get things done that are hard for them to do now... like mopping the floors and cleaning out closets. The biggest plus is that I am able to take my children with me and the older people love kids most of the time... (in moderation) I am taking for granted that the children are well behaved.

I am a homeschooler and the mother of seven so this was something that worked well for me.

God bless,
Denise
(mom_o_7)