Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 01-20-2002, 08:32 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mommy Burnout

We've all experienced it. We all love our children unconditionally, but sometimes enough is enough! When you've had enough of the arguing, yelling, diaper changes, and applesauce, what do you do to "get away"?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When I've had enough I take the dog for a walk and go to Tim Hortons and get a hot chocolate
Or if I can get the washroom door locked fast enough behind me I soak in the tub, have the candles going radio on ( to drown out the 'moms'
Old 01-20-2002, 08:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by otheila
Or if I can get the washroom door locked fast enough behind me ...
HA HA HA!! Ain't THAT the truth!!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-21-2002, 06:36 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I try for the long soak in the tub, but unfortunately my bathroom door doesn't have a lock!;-) So I quiute often have my 2yr come barging in stripping down announcing he is taking a bath too. As I scream for dh, too help!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:41 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LOL That happened to me just last night, except it was the shower. SIGH

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Well, it really depends ...

About 6 years ago, when I was suffering from depression and didn't know it, I would go out and get a DQ Blizzard and then park at the edge of the K-Mart parking lot to eat it. I usually ended up bawling my eyes out first, before I ate.

Now, I still go for the DQ Blizzard (Snickers Bar, please!) but I go inside to eat, and read a magazine or book, or do some writing.

Most times I "get away" right here at the FC Forum, after the kids are in bed!

(If anyone else who is reading this is doing the crying thing, like I was, please please call someone to talk about it! Your life doesn't have to be like this.)

Kelly H.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

QUICKLY get on the phone with my two best friends from childhood and plan a "Mom's Only" dinner date!!!!
We go to a restaurant that we wouldn't normally go to with our kids. We're usually there for 2-3 hours, just chatting and "destressing"...............it never fails that by the time I get home, I can't wait to see the kids again!
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 01-22-2002, 08:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi:

Wow! I just registered, and already have replied to three posts. I think I'm going to like it here!

Anyway, getting to the question of how do you deal with mommy burnout, the way I have learned to deal with it is:

I have decided that 8:00pm is bedtime (mommy time). When the kids get home from school, we do homework and have dinner as soon as possible (usually, everything is done by 6:00pm). After dinner, the kids usually have two hours of T.V. or play time. Then it's off to bed (they are usually asleep by 8:30pm).

If they don't have a particular bed time, it will take time to get them adjusted; but, they will adjust to a pre-determined bedtime in no time. Then, the rest of the evening is yours. I usually take a long hot bubble bath and watch a little T.V. myself before going to bed.

I have been doing this for the past two years, and it has worked out great for me.

Good luck,
Lisa
Old 01-22-2002, 10:36 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Lisa, I totally agree. Mine are in bed at 8 pm also, but we have a tough little 3 year old. He's a real pain at bed time LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-24-2002, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ask for relief

Im a military wife of 2 under 3. My husband travels a lot, so I am alone with the kids w/o relief. My church has a parent's day out program on Mondays for 3 hours for a small $. We are all refreshed after a few hours away from each other. I also do a "kid swap" with another military stay at home mom. Our kids are friends and don't get to see each other too often, so we trade time twice a month for three to four hours. We get some time alone and can do whatever we want with the time and the kids get to play. By the time you are ready to be a mom again the kids are tired of each other and ready to go home. Also I make them take naps (my oldest is 2 1/2), but if yours have out grown naps, make an hour of quiet time. My mom did this and we had to stay in our rooms and play quietly. She didn't care what we did as long as we were quiet. She was able to relax and recharge during that hour. Hope this helps!

Betsey

Last edited by bucketbaby; 01-24-2002 at 05:54 PM.