Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 06-16-2005, 03:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Son Loving Vacuum??

I just got this great mini vacuum for my stairs, and lo and behold, my son has decided he LOVES to vacuum! It’s so cute, because he’s only 6, but he is really helpful around the house. I was thinking of getting a kid friendly vacuum for the rest of the house, just to encourage his “good habits.” My husband is outraged, of course. Any ideas on how to keep cleaning house “cool” for my kids?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My son has had his own "vacuum" since he was 2. It started with a toy one that was just like mine and then worked up to him getting a Dust Buster when he was 6. He used it so much that he wore it out! He helped in many ways with it.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with a boy having his own cleaning tools. Take advantage of this while he still likes to help!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

That is so adorable! My sister can only WISH her teenager would do the same! Now with the new Star Wars movie out, I've been seeing a lot more on the iRobot Roomba! Your 6 year old could definitely handle that! He won't actually have to do the cleaning, but I'll bet he'll have fun chasing it around or pretending it's chasing him!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have one of those "dustbusters on a stick" that I got for quick cleanups.
When I vacuum with the regular vacuum, my 3-year-old son insists on using the "purple vacuum" right along with me. So I plug that one in on the other side of the room and let him go to it.
I think it's great when a child wants to help, and after all it's our job as parents to train them in how to maintain a house, cook a meal, do laundry, etc--all survival skills for adulthood. Let your little boy use your stairs vacuum anywhere in the house. Give him his own little broom and dustpan and praise his efforts. Soon he will be a teenager who doesn't WANT to help with home chores
Old 06-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: Son Loving Vacuum??

Quote:
Originally posted by lindflora
I just got this great mini vacuum for my stairs, and lo and behold, my son has decided he LOVES to vacuum! It’s so cute, because he’s only 6, but he is really helpful around the house. I was thinking of getting a kid friendly vacuum for the rest of the house, just to encourage his “good habits.” My husband is outraged, of course. Any ideas on how to keep cleaning house “cool” for my kids?
It's never too early to give kids little chores & responsibilities. You might tell your husband that using a vacuum is only developing good habits which will become second nature to him as he grows older. Your son could also do a more "manly" chore.

To keep cleaning cool for your kids, you might follow house-keeping duties by a fun activity. eg."After we get our chores done, we're going for ice cream".
Old 06-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I discovered a great "vacuum" purely by accident. I had ordered a Oreck Air Purifier for my husbands allergies. The advertisement on TV said "try it it for 90 days, money back guarantee, we even pay the return shipping". I thought what have I got to lose.

I didn't realize that when it came they also sent the "electric broom" and a "fridge odor eater thing". To make things short after 60 days I hadn't noticed a difference in my husbands allergies with the purifier, so I called to arrange the return shipping label to be sent to me. I found out the electric broom was mine to keep just for trying out the purifier. I felt so akward, keeping this broom.

Who says nothings free anymore. I didn't even pay shipping. It normally retails for $99. It picks up better than any dustbuster - minivacs I've ever had. The handle is adjustable for me or the kids to use. It has a removeable little hand vac on it, for quick clean ups. It's filter is reuseable, just dump and occassionally I vac it super clean with my central vac. It's rechargeable, so no cord to drag around. AND BEST OF ALL MY KIDS LOVE TO USE IT!!!!!! It even works well on the carpet. I am amazed at what it picks up, unbelievable. I would purchase a new one for sure if this one ever breaks. Go online see if you can find the deal, or just be patient - I'm sure you'll see the infomercial.

We have a chore wheel in our house. My 4 children are on the wheel, along with 4 rooms - kitchen, livingroom & mudroom together, bathroom (plus a free spot). Each week on Mondays the chore wheel is turned. Once during the month each child will get a week off. The kids have to vacuum daily if their room looks like it needs it. (Each room has a check list of what they are suppose to do) They use this new "electric broom". I still go through once a week, sometimes every other, with the central vac because the electric broom doesn't have a wand to be able to get really close to cabinets. But as stated before it's important for kids to learn responsibility early in life. Besides they are so proud of themselves.

Anyway, with 4 children, I find it's important for us all to pitch in. I explain - "If I'm spending all my time cooking, cleaning, and laundry we'll never have any down time to just play; but if we all pitch in we'll have LOTS more together time." and for the most part it works pretty well.

Good luck, Brenda
Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

quote:
(I was thinking of getting a kid friendly vacuum for the rest of the house, just to encourage his “good habits.” My husband is outraged, of course.)

I'm curious as to why your husband is "outraged." Is it because he thinks he is too young or does he think that cleaning is 'women's work'?

I don't have children, so don't feel that I can comment other than to say that I did some simple chores starting at age 5, picking up litter around the outside of the house and trimming hedges and ivy. I didn't care for picking up other people's trash but actually liked trimming the bushes, (even though the only reward was a job well done.)