Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mom2-4 .

As Dh and I made a choice before we even got married that our kids would not be latch key kids. DH was. His Mom and Dad both worked and did not get home until after 6pm almost every night. I have never regretted my choice.
We live on a very tight budget. And I mean very tight. We brought home a grand total of 22,000.00 last year. We own both of our 10 year old cars. They are paid for. We are now building our own home. I scrimped and saved for that. But I have never had to go to work. Not that I wouldn't have I would have and still would if it was what I had to do.
I have nothing but respect for women who have to work or even just choose to work. I don't feel that being a SAHM is my job I feel it is my calling from God. He let me care for these two wonderful human being and it is my duty to make sure that they are the best that they can be.

Dh also changed diapers got up for late night feedings with me even though he didn't have to. He walked them for hours on end when they were teething, when they were sick. He has never missed a parent teacher meating or program. I asked him if he felt cheated that i got to stay home with them and he went to work. And he said where did I get such a crazy idea. He has never felt cheated.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My dh also helps me with the inside house stuff he cooks does laundry ( dont like him doing that i cant get him to seperate anything lol) vacumes and dishes he is a great help and also changed diapers dd and him are super close shes a daddys girl i love to see that

Old 08-04-2004, 05:31 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I commend all of you stay at home mom's. My mother worked and I hated that. She worked 3pm to 11pm so I hardly ever got to see her and I missed that terribly. Dh's mom was a stay at home mom... she worked hard at raising dh right, did the PTA thing, school room parent, etc. and helped him with his homework and dh continously amazes me with his intelligence. I don't think he would be nearly as smart if he hadn't had his Mom there encouraging him all the time and still does. She is his strongest supporter. His dad was a long distance truck driver so dh only got to see him on the weekends.

I think women should have the right to choose what they want to do without being criticized for their choices.

Anna
Old 08-04-2004, 01:08 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Now that we brought up the subject of our parents, let me chime in here!!

When I was a baby, my dad worked dayshift, and my mom worked nightshift. So, mom had daycare for the dayshift, and dad had daycare for the night shift.

When I started first grade mom went to day shift. Then when my sister had her first child(she was still in school), mom quit work and took on babysitting. I would have been 10 years old at the time. It didn't really effect me at that time either way, if she would have been home during the day or not. But, one the bigger kids starting moving out, I was soooo glad to have my mom home with me over the summers. We never really did much. But, we were together and that was enough.

Mom, also babysat for several other children. All those children just wanted to stay at "Mom Ruth's" home! To this day, several of those kids, have a close bond with "mom Ruth"

To this day, my mom and I are closer to each other than what my oldest sister and my mom are!

The only thing more precious than a good bond with a parent is a good bond with a sibilng.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

*sigh* What a rediculous woman. As I read that article, it gave me the impression that she was a member of a high school debate class and was given the assignment of writing a debate for the opposing side. You know, like maybe the debate is about flowers being beautiful. I think 90% of folks would agree that flowers are beautiful, but for the purpose of a debate, this woman had to write the opposing side. It was like she was just pulling for things to support her idea. Absurd.

It doesn't matter if you're a SAHM or a working mom, that woman's ideas made no sense. I'm fortunate to be a speech therapist in the school setting so I have the best of both worlds. I have to work full time, but all summer long I get to "pretend" to be a SAHM and I love it! I hate sending my babies off to daycare, but what's a mom to do? It's absurd to say that daycares can do a better job raising our kids?????

I think a mom needs to be supported no matter what her decision she makes!!! The fact is, there's always going to be women who get to stay home, women who have to stay home, women who get to work and women who have to work! They are all mothers and no mother's job is any less hard than any other!! And to say we are making it harder on society????? How absurd is that????? WHAT ELSE CAN WE FIND TO BLAME ON GOOD 'OL MOM?!

Sorry. When I was first pregnant I realized just how much pressure society puts on us Moms to be perfect and it's rediculous. If my child child has allergies it's because I drank milk in my first trimester. (or is it third? can't remember now) If my child has a birthmark it's because I was stressed while pregnant. (Old wive's tale....my grandmother reminded me for nine months). If my child has foot problems as a teenager it's because I bought him cheap shoes as a child. Etc, etc, etc. If my two year old has a tantrum in the middle of the mall it's because of my parenting!

I'm going to stop now.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life