Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Your Community > Local & Regional Forums > States

States See who visits from your state!

Old 06-12-2003, 03:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Metro Atlanta Kids Activities

I have 11 grandchildren. Most are now in the ubiquitous "school age" group. I'm looking for activities and places to go for kids in the metro Atlanta area that aren't too expensive. So far:

Costs Money:
Whitewater in Marietta (not too bad)
6 Flags in Douglasville (exorbitant!)
Stone Mountain Park (year pass - not too bad)
Zoo Atlanta (exorbitant!)
Fernbank Natural Science Museum (exorbitant!)
Sci Trek (not too bad)
Movies (not too bad)

Free:
Parks
Library
Fernbank Science Center

Anyone else have contributions??
Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

There is another swimming beach in Douglasville or right outside Douglasville called Sun Valley Beach with water slides, ropes to swing across the water on. Islands in the middle of the water to jump from or just sit on and a sandy beach to play on. They have picnick tables with grills or food you can buy. On Wed. nights I believe they use to have a family night cook out with hamburgers and hotdog plates for sale. It is under new management this year but I think everything is about the same. They also have a day camp. To get in the park is $12.00 a person. They had one of those paint gun wars out there in another part of the park, guess it is still there. They do have yearly family passes which is what we use to buy. Don't know their prices with the new ownership though.

In Kennesaw there is a really cool putt-putt golf course and those little race cars. That is on Barrett Parkway at the 575 exit. Don't know the cost. Also in Kennesaw there is the Civil War museum and Kennesaw mountain and the old train.

Futher down I-75 south is Red Top Mountain which is suppose to be nice. We are going to check that out this summer and I'll let you know.

You mentioned movies but did you know that nearly all the movie places have a children's matinaze one day a week where the movies are like a buck fifty and they sometimes include a small popcorn and coke and usually show it around noon. It is not usually new movies but fun to go.

Sweetwater State Park in Douglasville has some nice hiking trails and fishing and a small playground and feeding the ducks. It only cost about a $1.00 or $2.00 to park.

Michael's does free crafts with the kids I think 1 day a week. They have newsletters with the crafts and time right up by the registers.

Oh also there is American Aventures by Whitewater.

There is the Coca Cola Center in downtown Atlanta. The water showers thing where the kids play in the water as it comes up from the ground and dances to the music in downtown.

mouse
Old 06-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We took our girls to the Capitol. There was soo much to look at. It really expanded on the Georgia history. They had so much to look at. The Capitol Museum had the rocks, minerals, animals, etc. Monday through Friday, the Senate and House doors are open. If Governor Sonny Perdue is in, he is willing to meet the kids. (Unfortunately, he was not in while we were there :mad: ) We ended up spending over 2 hours. The only cost was $3 for Parking.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I remember the Capitol Museum from when I was a little tyke! I had forgotten! I'll have to take gk's down there.

That museum has been around at least since the late 30's or early 40's.

Cheerio!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Kids Activities

I have an idea that would be fun for all your grandkids and you! A corn maze! Cagles Dairy in Canton has a big one. They are supposed to have the world's largest. (www.caglesdairy.com/maize) The cost is $10 per person, all ages (a little high but the website has printable discount coupons). I took my daughter last year to the North GA Corn Maze between Helen and Cleveland. We had so much fun, got lost alot and laughed so hard! Their website is www.northgacornmaze.com. Their prices are reasonable, they have printable coupons, and hayrides and the Barn of Fear.

Last edited by harleychic; 10-12-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Forgot to mention -- if your grandkids get scared easily, daytime is better. The cornstalks are real high and at night it can be scary. But everybody takes flashlights. It's easier to get lost in the dark and takes alot longer to find your way out. Either way, you will get lost! If ya'll decide to go, let me know afterwards how the grandkids liked it.