FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   States (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/states/)
-   -   Help in settling near Chicago! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/states/5641-help-settling-near-chicago.html)

KaCee 01-28-2003 08:29 AM

Chicago Fun

To get the kids excited about our move (and to house hunt) my family will head up north over spring break. We've been to Chicago once (hit Disney Quest -- now gone I think -- and the American Girl store and out to eat). What are your favorite things to do in Chicago? What would you NOT do again?

Thanks.

MomsZoo 01-28-2003 11:01 AM

We love going to Navy Pier... there's always something to do there and the children's museum is also there, which is something you have to do at least once. The Field Museum (in my opinion) is a snooze fest.... boring! The only reason we went there is because they Sue the TRex and my son was really into dinosaurs at the time. Up north is Six Flags Great America, which is awesome if you and your kids like roller coasters, we go there at least once a year. We usually stay away from the beach because there's always e-coli warnings every summer, which stinks because my kids love the beach (and it's a lot cheaper than any water park in the area) but oh well :-P::
Hope that helps!

chi 01-28-2003 11:07 AM

The tried and true's will work to start with. Field Museum, Science and Industry Museum, Sears Tower Skydeck, any beach, Lincoln Park Zoo(free), Brookfield Zoo (huge), Uno's(pizza), Navy Pier. just go for a picnic. A lot depends on your kids ages. Just riding the El or train may be fun, it was for mine. They loved when we took the El to Wrigley Field, even when there was a malfunction and we had to wait for another train. It was an ADVENTURE. Try www.877chicago.com :-D

musicmom1 01-28-2003 11:10 AM

If you are coming to Chicago, you should definately take a boat ride! There is one that we went on with our family called "Mercury Cruiselines"...located on the S.E corner of Michigan and Wacker. GREAT commentary and were very friendly. THey also offer the Official Chicago Architecture Tour of the river. VERY informative and relaxing. Both can be accessed online. Tickets can be purchased online for the Chicago Arch. Tours. IT is well worth it!!

musicmom1 01-28-2003 11:12 AM

Oh, I forgot.....the trains usually run ontime....Much better than an hour and half car ride, stuck in traffic! Weekend travel to the city is much faster than weekday. There are many nice places to live surrounding the city. Best of luck to you.

Bab 02-01-2003 03:03 PM

I lived in the Chicago area for over 40 years (in Chicago, Hometown, LaGrange, Palos Heights) and have recently retired to sunny southern Nevada.

LaGrange is a wonderful & friendly place to live that also has the bonus of the express train to downtown jobs. I think the Burlington Northern express train took only 17 or 19 minutes from the LaGrange Station to Union Station. My neighbors all walked from home to the train. Check out the train travel time as it can be quite long from some of the suburbs that don't have an express train, which makes fewer stops.

They have a wonderful Newcomers Club that you can belong to for your first five years after moving in. It had activitites every day and evening for moms, couples, kids. The year I was president it had 150 members from all over the U.S. and is a great way to make new friends.