Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

New York City!!!

I have wanted to go to New York City for years! I may be 50 years old before I make it there but I will!!!
Has anyone been there before...or live there...and have any must see places to recommend? We plan on seeing all the touristy places, no doubt, but also tend to like the little hole in the wall, not so common places. Particularly, we enjoy bookstores, little cafe's, coffeehouses, and candystores!! I will probably gain 10 pounds there trying all the hot dog and bagels alone!!!
We will stay in a hostel because if we wait to go when we could afford a hotel there, well, then we'd probably never go! Maybe I need to start playing the lottery!

I have been to upstate New York, it was in the early autumn, very beautiful!!
Someday I'll be on a New York bound train!!
peace,train
Old 09-21-2002, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi trainlady!

I've been to New York City once and dream of going back. I had a BLAST! I was working for the Girl Scouts then and flew into NYC with my co-workers for training. We actually trained outside the city at a place called Macy's Traning Center (I think, it's been a few years) Anyway, we flew in early so that we could do the tourist thing for a weekend. My 3 co-workres had been there before and one had even lived there until she was 13. My advice is ewear GOOD shoes and walk, walk, walk! Enjoy yourslef as much as you can. We've all heard how rude New Yorkers are and I'm here to tell you it's a LIE! We ran into one rude person and that was while still in the airport at one of the cafes. My friend only had a $20 for a cup of coffee and the clerk was rude. Beyond that it was the most fabulous experience of my life. We walked Central Park, took the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty, though we didn't go there. It was an estimated 5 HOUR line waiting to get on the boat. I was content to just see it! We of course saw the Emopire State building and Times Square. We went to Grennwich Village, Soho, China Town, Little Italy, visited the church that George Washington used to attend and saw the pew, still there! Walked in the cemetary behind the church that is so old you can no longer read some of the headstones.

We ate lunch in a wonderful little pizzaria where it was supposed to be order and pick-up yurself but the guy working there told us to have a seat and waited on us! He was wonderful. We ate breakfast in Greenwich Village. I shopped in Soho and made a friend. When I was done the street vendor shook my hand and said it had been a pleasure! China Town kind of smells but what a wonderful place. A HUGE caution here though: do NOT eat at any restaurants in China Town where someone is hanging out the door waving you in. If you see people of the Chinese race eating there especially RUN the other direction as fast as you can! We fell for this and had some of the WORST food I've ever had. I am NOT a picky eater but couldn't gag it down. They had fish tanks with tropical fish in it on a wall and I swear this food tasted as if they had used that water to cook it. The Chinese were gobbling it down! My dd3 has a friend from NYC and she said never eat at a place described like that. i said that would have been nice to know then! We had dessert in Little Italy at a sidewalk cafe. We watched for "obvious" gangsters but didn't see any. We took the subway without a single problem and even waited on a bus at 10:00 at night on a streetcorner. I think now that our guardian angles were watching over us for that one.
What a fantastic experience being there! I dream of taking my family back some day too. I'm just afraid it won't be as great or that they won't like it as much as I did.

Shop those street vendors! One girl bought a watch off of a guy just like the skits and cartoons you see. He walked up with a brief case full and she bought a "name brand" watch for $20. She was so excited until it quit working the next day. I bought t-shirts off of tables on the street.

In Times Square, which we visited at night, an old drunk hit us up for money but we refused. He whipped it out and started peeing right in front of us then, laughing with glee the whole time. What was even funnier was a cop was standing there watching it all! We did give a homeless person a few dollars each since we stopped him for directions and he gave us good ones so I'm glad we all pitched in.

It has been a few years but the memories are still fresh. The street entertainers are fabulous, the people are friendly, and it wasn't all that expensive. Just wathc your change. I was thirsty and bought a bottle of water from a street vendor. It was .50. I gave him $1 and he kept the change!

I hope you get to go and that you have even half as good a time as I did. If so, you will have memories to cherish for the rest of your life.

Jayne
AKA

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

NYC post

Here's a link from another forum I'm on:

New York

It starts about the guy's birthday, and then goes off tangent about NYC.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like you have some wonderful New York memories, Nagymom!!! It sounds really interesting going thru all the diferent neighborhoods!!
I can't wait to go, I'll watch out fot that drunk in Times Square, LOL!!!
That was some fun reading, Stargazer, on the NY forum...I love to read anything about NY I can get my hands on!
Thanks,train
Old 09-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey Trainlady...stop at my house on the way to NYC and I'll hop aboard and go too.I haven't been back since I left in 1965...It would be great to see the city again! So much to do there and the city never sleeps! Have a great time!Make sure you get some Authentic Italian Pizza..they sell it by the slice and they are HUGE...yummy too!

janet
Old 09-21-2002, 07:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New York City

I was just down in NYC two weeks ago. My son-in-law, Frank and my daughter, Becky, have been there before and are familiar with some of the city.

We took the Metro North from Poughkeepsie, NY into the city. It took us about an hour to arrive in Grand Central Station. It was fun just to walk through the station with scores of other people from all over. From there we hopped a cab to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and spent about three hours there. We really could have spent all day there alone had time permitted. From there we hopped another cab through part of Central Park to the Natural History Museum. Again another three hours which could have taken all day to thoroughly visit. So many things to see and not enough time.

Frank had a map of the city with him as well as the different tracks of the subway. So we then got on a subway and traveled back to 42nd Street and got off in the middle of Time Square. It was just wall to wall people in this area. We passed a wax museum. There was a nice looking young man standing outside the entrance. Becky asked me if I saw him. I said I did and then she informed me that it was a wax figure of Bon Jovi. Unbelievable! In the window was a figure of Whoopie Goldberg. Frank told us that the celebrities model for these figures. I know the next time we visit NYC that will be one of our stops.

We then proceeded to walk back to Grand Central Station. Had almost an hour to kill before the train came in. We went down on the lower level and had a piece of New York pizza and a soda. Had to make the stop there to have a piece of the famous Junior's Cheesecake for dessert. Rather expensive so my husband and I split a piece as did Becky and Frank.

Caught the train back to Poughkeepsie. This time about a two hour ride back. Made many more stops on the way home. Spent the night in Kingston as did the night before.

We had alot of fun. There were many National Guardsmen and police around. All in all you felt safe. There was no screening of people getting on and off the Metro or the subway system. At the museums bags were screened if you had one with you.

I'll be excited to visit again and maybe next time to Ground Zero.

Valerie M.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Valerie, It sounds like you had a wonderful visit to NYC!!
I have read, too,that there is just so much to do and see that you really need a decent amount of time...seems like you saw quite a bit for the time you were there!

Where is Rome, NY?
Nice to meet you.

Janet, be ready Girl...start saving your change like I am doing!!!
Your mention of New York Pizza made me hungry!!
Seems these forums do that a lot!! LOL!!!
peace,train
Old 09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Visiting NYC

I had the opportunity to go to NYC this summer with a good friend and our two 15 yo dd's, and we had an awesome trip! NYC was someplace I really had no desire to go to; but because of different reasons, I agreed to go along instead of my friend's dh (my dd was already going along). I'm so glad I did, and can't wait to go back again. I've promised my 11 yo dd that I will take her when she's 15.

We stayed about 3 1/2 days and stayed in Jersey City, taking the train over into the city every day. One of the best things we did was to take a bus tour around the city (there are several to chose from). Our mistake there was that we wished we had gotten on earlier in the day, because you can get off and on (another bus comes by every 20 minutes) and we could have gotten a feel for each neighborhood we went through. We saw a Broadway play, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. The thing I didn't expect was how helpful (and not rude!) the New Yorkers were. Not only do they have that reputation, but I had been at a Caribean resort several years ago, and the group that came in from New York were insufferable! But on our trip, people would approach us to offer directions.

I say if you've always wanted to go, you should GO! We drove 16 hours staight through to get there -- and it was worth it!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Trainlady! Rome, New York is north of Syracuse, New York, about an hour away. We are also about twenty minutes from Utica, New York. Don't know if you have heard of these two cities. Syracuse is known for it's Syracuse Orangemen, sports team from Syracuse University. We are located in the Mohawk Valley in Central New York. Maybe this gives you a little idea of where we are located.

Happy to meet you.

Valerie M.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all! Here's a link for you for the next trip to NYC.

Jayne

Printable Certificates for restaurants in New York from Dine Out, New York
(I included this one because New York needs the tourist trade!)
http://promo.restaurantassociates.com/dineoutny/

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member