FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   States (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/states/)
-   -   Must See Places!!! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/states/3647-must-see-places.html)

trainlady 08-28-2002 01:22 PM

Must See Places!!!

I have dreamed for YEARS of visiting New York City!!! One of these days I am going to make it out there if we ever get all our bills paid!! LOL!!!

I am a huge Amtrak fan and love to travel by train. I have been on all of the routes except 2...one of them being New York...I HAVE been to Upstate NY on the train...absolutely beautiful!!! I spent a week in Rhinebeck on a retraet at Omega Holistic center...

Anyways, to you native New Yorkers out there, can you please tell me the "Must See's" of New York City? And any advice as far as best time to visit there, etc... Besides seeing all the touristy places I also like little, out of the way, hole in the wall sorts of places too! I LOVE coffeehouses, bookstores, candy, beautiful architecture...especially churches, parks...and have heard that NY has the best hotdog vendors in the world!!!
I always travel cheap...I just have a coach seat on the train and carry my own food...I plan on staying at a hostel in NY...If I wait till I have money for a Hotel in NY I will be 90 years old!!!

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Peace,the trainlady:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

Lifestar 09-02-2002 07:39 PM

Train..It sounds like you need advice from my sister. She lives in SoHo. An artsy community bordered by the Village, Cina Town and Litle Italy. It has gallaries, coffeehouses, little shops and playhouses etc. I KNOW it is a tourist location because her block is always filled with people speaking all kinds of languages. But there are the most wonderful little gourmet shops and pizza places and cantinas and dim sum houses that she has taken me to. Normally I wouldn't step foot into any of them ,as they look like holes in the wall, but when you're with a local, you get the best.

When you get a date set, let me know, and I will get a list together for you. I know NYU offers student housing in the summer to visitors..as rentals, you know? That's down in that area. Near Washington Square Park. Maybe my sister would even act as a guide. she's a bohemian sort, and would probably be so pleased to show you around if I made the introduction. LOL!

Anyway..my personal knowledge of NYC is limited to the more sleazy parts, as I spent 20 years as a Paramedic. I could give you a tour of all the"shooting galeries" as we call the heroin houses..or the brothels or the welfare projects or homeless shelters....but that probably isn't what you had in mind ;-) I love NY strictly NORTH of the Great White Way...unless you're Chauffer Driven and innoculated:-D .

But then agan I'm kind of jaded...

Anyway..I'd love to see what some native New Yorkers have to offer.

caio! and good hunting!

Jeannie 09-03-2002 12:19 PM

Hi trainlady..

I'm sure Amtrak has many NY specials...
Check with a train agent.....they may be able to help you...

Jeannie

trainlady 09-20-2002 12:56 PM

Hi New Yorkers!
I just got a cookbook that is called "Juniors" and it is recipies and memories of Brooklyns favorite restaurant!!
It was very interesting and fun reading...I can't wait to go there someday?
Have any of you been?
From the book "Junior's":
"Juniors holds a special place in Brooklyn, also home of the Brooklyn Dodgers, Coney Island and the Brookln Bridge."
peace,train:daisy:

Caronamy 01-12-2003 06:48 PM

Niagara Falls - but have to go to the Canadian side.

Lifestar 01-13-2003 10:36 AM

No train... Never been to Juniors.. I know they claim to have the best cheesecake in NY, But I have had their cheesecake, and it doesn't compare to S&S cheesecake in the Bronx.

(I was bron and raised in the Bronx... not that I go back there much...(Except for the S&S cheesecake! LOL!)

Caronamy 02-28-2003 06:02 PM

Well Val...what do you suggest. My friend is coming to NY and wants to go to the city.

What 3 places are must see?

Of course we're going to the Falls.

Lifestar 03-02-2003 11:16 AM

Weeelll...

If they have never been to Manhattan... what about a Tour Bus.or in lieu of that Sheesh! only 3 places!???

Empire State Building

Statue of Liberty ( take the ferry at dusk if the weather is good)

B'dwy/Times Square ( see a show)

( But then how can you NOT see: Radio City Music Hall...The Museum of Natural History.... The Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens....Yankee/Shea Stadium...Lincoln Centre..China Town...SoHo....Greenwich Village.... Harlem (dive through) .... The Intrepid Museum... then there are all those GREAT restaurants....)

I can't choose 3!! that's not fair! LOLOL!!!

All these things make up the flavor of NY, but I guess you do have to choose if you're going to do it in one day. If you had a weekend... Take a motel in my neck of the woods... and the commute into Manhattan is under an hour... you could do it all and your room would be $79.00 a night :-D

Ok...So I'm no help at all..I have never claimed to be decisive... but I am creative. (())

Caronamy 03-02-2003 11:19 AM

LOL - OK - I'll know better what she wants to do and for how long as the time gets closer. I'm just so excited that she's coming, wish it were next week.

Do they post what gang colors not to wear as we drive through? LOL

I'm sure they'll want to go to ground zero too.

Lifestar 03-02-2003 11:30 AM

I know you were kidding, but...

Actually, you CAN call the local Police precinct, and ask what the colors to avoid are! LOLOL!! I'm NOT kidding on this... Under-cover cops even wear what's called "the color of the day" so they can identify each other and not get shot by accident... Amazing, huh?...

Anyway, Where is your friend coming from, and when is she coming? Are there going to be kids, and ... Can I meet you guys for lunch :-D LOLLOLOL!!

Just kidding, .. but next time you're down-state I'd love to meet you.

Val