Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Old 07-04-2002, 09:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I will sure try to have fun. We still haven't figured out what we are doing! LOL!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Rachel,

I didn't expect to hear from you again today! LOL. Is it very hot there today? At least Americans can enjoy fireworks in the summer when it's almost guaranteed to be warm. Here, the fireworks are to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day in November and it's always cold and usually raining. The only plus side is that it gets dark early then so you don't have to keep children up late for the fireworks.

Maybe there is a website for local events that you could look up. Or maybe there are suggestions in the newspaper.

Anyway, I hope you go out and celebrate.

Happy Independence Day!!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Deb,

I haven't seen any postings here from you lately. I hope you and your family are well. Will you be going out for the fireworks? My boys miss all that. They are still in school until July 19th. This is when I get homesick. I know all my family back home in Mn are going out to barbeques and parades and fireworks and enjoying the holiday and it's just a normal day here.

I hope you and your family have a very nice holiday weekend.

HAPPY FOURTH of JULY!!

Old 07-05-2002, 05:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi Sunshine!

Have just been lurking I guess. Seemed like stuff not ment for me. My first time on a forum like this.

Things are fine here. I am officially on vacation now too, just like my kids. I work at the local high school, where my son attends. I don't teach, but work in the guidance office, doing grades, transcripts and enrollment recordkeeping. We were busy checking to see how graduated, and sending final transcripts off to their college choices.

Last night we did see fireworks. Went out to Chanhassen, and watched there, plus all of the neighborhood ones too. Lots of fun.

My kids miss England. They enjoyed Guy Falks Day. They both have birthday's in November, and we got extra ones, and had fireworks on their birthdays.

The other holiday we found missing in England was Halloween. We were the only house in the entire estate, who had carved pumkins on the from steps

I am hear, and reading. I will jump in more often.

Deb
Old 07-05-2002, 05:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It wasn't too bad here yesterday--in the 80's but not as humid as it's been lately. I was outside a lot and didn't mind it. We ended up having a barbecue at my uncle's house and then went to fireworks. The mosquitoes are HORRIBLE here right now, though. We brought plenty of bug spray and it barely kept them away!

Deb--I think I missed where you are from. If you were in Chanhassen, we were very close to eachother! I live in Jordan. My dh used to work for ABC Millwork in Chanhassen.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We are in Minnetonka. Moved into the house I grew up in when dm moved to AZ back in 19984.
The bugs have been just horrible. I which that helicopter that is spraying the TC would fly over my house. Kind of feel a prisoner in the house with them so bad

Keep swatting em
Old 07-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Deb,

Welcome back to the forum! I missed you. We Minnesotans need to stick together. LOL.

Your job sounds interesting and a perfect job with children since you get the same vacation time. I think that's one reason why there are more stay at home moms here than in America. The school schedule here is very difficult to work around what with a week off (half term) between every school term and two weeks off at Christmas and two weeks off for Easter/Spring break plus six weeks off for the summer. I think the benefit for the children though is that they don't get bored or forget what they've learned. My friends here just can't believe how much time American kids get off for the summer.

It sounds like you had a nice Fourth of July! I wish I could have been back home. I miss that holiday a lot. It's just so American!!!! Yes, we do have Guy Fawkes Day but it's a lot colder to watch fireworks in November than July! I can see though why your children enjoyed it with their birthdays in November. Not too many children get fireworks on their birthday!!

I know just what you mean about Halloween in England. It's very strange here. Most British don't celebrate it at all and indeed they don't even seem to understand the way it should be celebrated. They take it all too seriously and say it's encouraging paganism and witchcraft. The children here don't even know the way to do trick or treating. Some children ring my doorbell about a week before Halloween and say "trick or treat" , demanding sweets(candy) and they aren't even wearing costumes. Plus they look too old to be trick or treating. The elderly refuse to open their doors on Halloween because they are terrified of the "tricks". The local paper always warns the elderly to keep their door locked. Some of my friends are very vocal about the "wickedness" of celebrating Halloween and blame the Americans for passing it over to this country. The trouble is that the "bad" kids use that time as an excuse for mischief and/or terrible vandalism, etc. It seems to be more popular here for a festive time for grown ups to have fancy dress (costume) parties. Most English children don't get to have the fun time like American kids do. Mostof my neighbors don't approve of the day so it's hard to find enough people to participate with handing out sweets. Good for you, for putting carved pumpkins out. Well done!

Oh dear, I've gone on and on. Sorry! LOL. I'm just so happy to be "chatting" with you again! Take care.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon!
Bye for now
Maureen
Old 07-05-2002, 07:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Rachel,

I'm glad you had a nice Fourth of July. Was it a big family gathering at your uncle's house? I'm sorry to hear that the mosquitoes are so bad this year. They can make it prettty miserable to be outside even if you can tolerate the heat! LOL. i have to say that I don't miss the mosquitoes!!

Take care. Bye for now.
Maureen
Old 07-07-2002, 07:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our gathering was only 7 people. I have a small family and 1/2 of them were gone! LOL! It's ok...a nice small gathering is right up my alley.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm sure you had a nice time. Yes, it's less hectic with a smaller family gathering.

We went to the British Grand Prix today. My hubby has been before but this was a first for myself and our boys. It was fun but we froze! There was a very cold wind plus it rained off and on. Never mind, it was a fun day out for us and an interesting experience. Michael Schumacher won.