Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mrsmaniac, I know here in the UP School Officials were bracing themselves for more cuts...I am so glad that NO cuts were made Mid-term..it would be impossible for schools to do that.
I wonder if schools nationwise are having the same problem?

Now they are thinking of taxing pop(soda)?maybe all groceries should be taxed? or should sales tax as a whole..we have been at 6% for a long time.

All Michigan residents have to be aware..Michigan is losing workers..they are moving to areas of better jobs, or more jobs.

Michigan needs industry in order to operate and with industries going to foreign countries for cheap labor, it really hits home.

We need our young adults to stay in Michigan, so we need to come up with a reason why!

Janet
Old 02-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Big Grin

Hi All, I'm just a lurcking from Michigan (Bay City)
and I have loved the bear on the porch story and the midnight walks in the woods, laughed myself silly. I leave for work every morning and yep theres a Rabbit! As for more wildlife we do have Deer,Pheasent, Coyottes and drunken college kids that run in the ditch allot.
We live close to a college so this happens frequently. We took a trip to the U.P. and came across a bear cub crossing the road, DH got out of the car to get a better look as I remarked that I didn't think that was a good idea, Yep, I was right because Mom bear came out of the other side of the road in somewhat of a hurry. I thought this was a perfect I told you so moment but sometimes you just don't have to say it. When we were first married DH wanted to live in the UP but now that age and worn old bones have found him the cold would not be his friend for long.
Hope everyone has a great week, Carol
Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Carol from Bay City...what is it like in your area? Are you in a city or country?

I am not exactly sure where Bay City is..

Hugs, Janet
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Carol! Lol about the drunk college kids in the ditches. Here it's not the kids!! A "game" here is to go out on Sunday mornings and count the cars in the corn fields from drunk drivers going off the roads!

Janet, Bay City is over by me--kinda lol. It's not really far from here.

I'm not happy about the new taxes, but we should've known it was coming. If they start taxing groceries, it'll call for "redoing" the way food stamps are handled, for sure, which will add to the costs of everything lol! I heard that, on the average, the new taxes would really only cost about $65 a year. I'm willing to pay that to cut the deficit. But, like db mentioned, will that money actually go towards the deficit or just a few pay raises?

Oh well--heehee. Just another reason to be more vigilent about where we spend our money!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Janet and Mrs M. I live in the country and couldn't live in the city because of the noise. I had to laugh at a friend that came out to see us and when she left at night she couldn't figure out why it was so dark (no street lights) we just smiled and thought city girl.
Last winter we had a snow storm and the college kids drive like they are invincable in a car so as they were heading for the highway one of them lost control of their car and went through a ditch, hit our field and then they looked for a way out. They drove up and down the field looking for an out. In the morning we could see the tracks that went across our front lawn and around the house until they hit the driveway and left. Try to explain that to the neighbors.
Have a great one, Carol
Old 02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey Everyone, the latest I heard is that they will not tax pop..which is good..but haircuts? I guess we all will start sporting that "hippy look" again..lol

I guess all services with a few exemptions that involve education..

Oh well, I guess all we can do is complain...lol

Janet
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

In the last few years we have had a GST (goods and services tax) introduced like a few European countries, it's fun to work out....
The cooked chicken has gst, the raw chicken doesn't, what's deemed a necessity isn't taxed by 10% but if they/govt thinks you can do without it you're taxed.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey Kathy, I still think they should just raise the sales tax across the board, and be done with it...alot of states here pay more than 6% so I am willing to pay more..anything to help the State run..

Death & Taxes..only 2 things you cannot avoid. lol

Janet
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all! Janet--years ago I had a manager in my store that used to live in IN.(I think???) He told us that there, things like bread and milk(neccessities) were not taxed, but things like pop and chips were. Cooked hot chicken from the deli was taxed, but the hot stuffed chicken in the meat dept, was not. Wierd! I'd never be able to keep track of it all!

I also think we should just have a flat-out straight-up tax and call it a day.

thisgirl--lol at your friend wondering why it was so dark! We live in a small town so we do have street lights, but I'm amazed at how bright it is with just the moonlight! Especially in the winter when it reflects off of the snow--nothing prettier, imo!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Newbie here. Didn't realize so many of you were from MI. WOW!!
Anyway... Hello from Macomb County!!
Hope to see you all around.

Dee