Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Old 07-16-2002, 06:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, Linda! I noticed that you and I are kinda "across the fence" from each other I actually used to live in Live Oak from 1972 to 1978. Always thought they built the whole town around the train tracks though...used to be we couldn't go anywhere that we didn't get stuck in traffic waiting on a train to go by!

Actually, I think all the rain we've had lately has made the difference in my tomato plants doing something more than just having leaves :p One guy I ran into while waiting in the checkout line at Lowe's said he thought it was because all the forest fires we had in the last couple of years or so has affected the bee population which pollinates the tomato plants. I don't know....all I know is that every year I do the same thing and some years I get tomatoes and some years I just get leaves. It goes back to the saying, "If I knew what I was doing wrong, I would quit doing it!"
Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Kelpie,
We lived 5 miles from the Gulf for 6 years BEFORE we got to the beach the first time! Once you move here, seems you gotta work your butt off....unless you're retired....to be able to stay. I can't count HOW MANY people I've seen come to FL, and then move back home within 2 years, cause they just can't make it here!

Good thing I can drive a dump truck...there's LOTS of construction going on...I'll never starve in this state!

Old 07-16-2002, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sanibel is one of the most beautiful beaches in Fla. We are planning on coming over there (from Melbourne) for a weekend just to relax and enjoy the Gulf. The Atlantic here is so rough and dangerous. Maybe we can connect when we come over?

Babs
Old 07-16-2002, 08:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey, Bettdev, you are so right! I have a sister-in-law and her husband who have moved here from Tennessee last year and they are still trying to find a job. By the way, driving a dump truck and working in construction is what got my family to move to Florida back in '63 when they were building I-75 and they were fortunate enough to find a small business for sale and stayed. Small world, huh After visiting our relatives in Indiana, I told my parents many times how thankful I was that they moved to the "Sunshine State" with no snow to shovel!
Old 07-16-2002, 09:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Kelpie,

It really is a small world. I moved to Live Oak in the summer of '73. We had been living in the big city of O'Brien, if you know where that is. Before that, we lived in Wellborn. We moved to LO basically because my husband works for FPC at the power plant at the river. He went from a 35 mile drive to a five mile drive. It didn't matter to my job because I was the same distance from Branford as I am now from LO. I taught 26 1/2 years in West Elementary School.

My husband works at the plant, and also farms and raised cattle. We have a farm in O'Brien. So, between work, farm, and travel time I guess I'm luck to have gotten a garden at all. We had thousands of zucchini and nearly as much summer squash and cucumbers. We also had snap beans and two kinds of butter beans. We'll plant peas in the fall when the bugs aren't so bad.

Guess this comes under the heading of lists of things I didn't need to know so I'll close and get back to my kitchen cabinets.

Linda
Old 07-17-2002, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hook up on Sanibel

Babs
I'd love to hook up with you when you come to Sanibel! Maybe Bettdev can come, too. She's in my area as well!

I live about 20 minutes from the most beautiful beaches. My brother lives in Daytona and has been saying that the ocean is really rough this year.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sharone

That sounds like a good idea!! I will let you know in advance when we will plan on being over there.
Take care,
Babs
Old 07-21-2002, 02:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to fourms, but here goes.

We moved to Miami in 1947 from NY. I have lived in Hollywood since 1995. I was staying with friends here and decided to stay permanently when I read the help wanted ads and found that I didn't have to speak a language that was not English.

About the rain--When I was a teen, some relatives came to visit from NJ and I went back with them for the rest of the summer. It rained a lot while they were here and when we got to NJ, there were complaints about it. Without thinking, I just blurted out "but that's our liquid sunshine". They didn't think that was funny, but I was only standing up for my home state.

I hope that there will be more people here that are from my neck of the woods--but it is still nice to hear from others in our state.
By the way, my brother lives in Tampa.

Well, that's all for now--everyone have a nice day. Will catch you later.

Old 07-21-2002, 05:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi and welcome to the neighborhood! Florida doesn't seem to have too much activity, but those of us who are here welcome you! All the different forums are great and I think you'll enjoy them. Nice to visit with you.

Linda
Old 08-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi Everyone,

I live in Kissimmee (south of Orlando & home of Disney). We've been here for over 10 yrs. I'm originally from Fort Walton Beach (Northwest FL or Panhandle). My Dad was in the Air Force and we moved around alot until he retired in F.W.B. My folks still live there.
My in-laws live in AL( about an hr and a half from my folks). We go "home" about 3 or 4 times a yr. It's an 8hr drive from here to my folks. We used to go home more, but since we've had kids and they've started school, we can't travel as much. LOL

Most of my relatives live in MI. And all of them seem to think that FL is a small state. LOL