Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all,

I've got just a minute to post. Waiting for my friend to come by. We are going to do our grocery shopping together for Thanksgiving. I have about 12 people coming to eat and I'm doing all of the cooking. I'll explain why later. I've got my list together and am also taking my menu and all my recipes with me so I can reference them. I will start cooking tomorrow because I have to work Wed. all day! Ugh. Oh well it can't be helped. DH is off and he will help with the housework. He is cleaning out the garage right now.

I'll post later on to let you know how much I spend. I really dread to see the total at the grocery since I have some other things to buy that don't have anything to do with Turkey Day.

Hugs,
Kelly
Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi, everybody! Another gorgous day here in Mableton...sadly enough. We are in such desperate need of rain. Lake Lanier is about a tenth of an inch away from breaking the all time low record, and it's a record I hope we don't break. Supposedly we're going to get some rain late Wednesday/Thursday, and I hope it just rains for days and days.

Hi, Debbie, good to see you again, and a belated Happy Birthday to you. You're planning on sharing that cake with us, right? It sure is pretty. I'm so sorry that the deli burned down, but you're right, God works just as we need him, and you've got a job, so that's a blessing.

HarleyChic, I'm not into Nascar at all, but my son sure is. He's a total Jeff Gordon freak, which makes birthdays and Christmas pretty easy, lol. That's cool about winning that stuff, and believe me, I would've had tears in my eyes, too!

Linnea! Hey, how are you? It's good to know you're still around. Hope your Thanksgiving goes well.

Pag, what kind of pies and breads do you make for T-day? I'm going to buy a sweet potato pie and make banana pudding to take to my dgd's for desserts for dinner. Have you gone to that waitress's mom's shop yet? I hope she'll put some of Gina's jewelry on display. I admire anyone that can do bead work...like you, I don't have the patience, and I don't think I could see well enough to do it.

Marty, how's Terry doing? Find anything out yet? Still praying for him.

Elizabeth, that's just so great about getting your house cleaned and decluttered. I think it's soooo hard to declutter, and if I would/could, I'd have a lot more room here. But then we'd just get more stuff to fill the empty spaces, lol. "Clutter expands to fill all available space," y'know.

Kelly, I'm sorry you're going to have to do all the cooking...and for 12 people, yet. Wow! I'm not going to have to cook, other than make a banana pudding...big deal, right? I might go out tonight to get the stuff to make it, and pick up the sweet 'tater pie and some cool whip. Ok, ok, so I'm going to getTWO pies, and TWO coolwhips, lol...gotta have some here at home, too, right? Right.

SSharona, what are you making for crafts? I'm not exactly crafting lately, but I am doing a new type of "journaling" and enjoying it. I took a book out of the library called "The Decorated Page," and loved it, and got some ideas about doing some new journal pages, including making the journal itself. It's not as elaborate as the pictures in the book, but still fun.

Train, that was such a pretty cake. Will you make another one for me, even tho it's not my birthday?!?! Whine wheedle beg cry...lol. Chocolate with chocolate icing, ok? And I promise to share with everybody here, honest. I'll even make a pot of coffee for everybody, too, how's that?

Mouse, Kim, where are y'all? Are you already cooking for the holiday?

I tried to post last week and couldn't get here. All I could get was that page that tells you that what you're looking for is unavailable. I don't know if it was my computer or if the board was down. Anyway, I got thru today with no trouble at all.

It's been a nice day, I've actually been productive: three loads of laundry, and deep-cleaned the bathroom and kitchen, altho I gave out and had to get E. to sweep and mop the kitchen floor. Both little rooms look so nice and shiny and clean now. Tomorrow I have to go shopping, altho I may do some of it tonight...after I watch "Dancing with the Stars," that is. Kroger stays open all night, so that would be one less thing I'd have to do tomorrow.

Dinner is in the oven and the smell is driving me nuts, lol: baked chicken that I marinated in oil, red wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, garlic, black pepper(no red pepper here, lol), soul seasoning, and Italian seasoning. I'm going to make a hash out of leftover cabbage/carrots/potatoes, and warm up last night's pork 'n' beans. Not too hard a meal, cheap, good, and filling. So, I've got to go finish cooking. Y'all have a great evening, hear? God bless.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Joyce great that you got in today. Pies are S-Potato and Pumpkin and sometimes Cherry also and breads are Pumpkin and Banana.

Eating my left over veggie soup tonite still yummy. But then to me soup and sketti are always better the next day or two.

I use to have 14 for T-Day Dinner and cooked it all myself but that was because I wanted to.

Hugs to all
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello Ladies!

Wow I can't believe its been so long since I was here. I enjoyed catching up and was absolutely thrilled to see Joyce and Linnea back on the board!

Elizabeth I am so happy and quite jealous actually that you had the "Mighty Maids" for a day!

Anyone venturing out for Black Friday? I am actually on vacation this week and most of you know I love to shop on Black Friday but this year all my shopping partners are unavailable! Ugh! So not sure what my plans are yet. Saturday is Iron Bowl Day though so we will have a huge blow out for that...ROLL TIDE!!! I'm making Paula Deans Potato and Shrimp Soup to take. Its yummy!

Got up early this morning and baked a pecan pie, a pumpkin pie and a cheesecake. Making the green bean casserole tomorrow and its off to the inlaws for Turkey Day...oh boy!

Too tired this year to host the holidays at our house. As most of you know this has been a really rough year for me...the holidays will be especially emotional and hard. Glad I have all of you!

Well if I don't get to post again I want you all to know that when I count my Thanksgiving Blessings this year you are on my list!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I have finally mastered the art of cooking a good turkey. I am so proud of myself! This is the first time that it has been so tender and not dry. But my pumpkin pie didn't come out right. This is the first time I've ever tried to make one, so maybe next year will be better.

The kids & I went to my ex-inlaws for lunch. We're actually very close to them. The kids dad has disappeared. He can't (or won't) pay his child support in arrears ($90,000.00) The food was good and the company nice.

When we got home, I got to cooking my turkey and other vegies. I have enough food to last the kids a few days.

Wish I could have done some "Black Friday" shopping this AM but had to go to work.. Oh well. I would have spent money I didn't have to spend.

Now much planned for this weekend. Just babysitting RyLey and trying to get my Xmas decorations out and start putting them up. I have a big inflatable snowglobe with a penguin and Xmas tree in it. RyLey loves it. I also have an 8 Ft. snowman and I found aan inflatable Sant coming out of a chimney that I had forgotton that I had bought last year. This is a first time inflatable year for me. I do believe it will change the way I usually decorate outside. But I'm excited about getting everything up. RyLey is so cute with her expressive eyes. This will be a fun Xmas for me.

Hope all is well with everyone! Happy day after Thanksgiving!

Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey, y'all, how are you this evening? I had a really nice t-day, dinner with my dgd was super. Her Poppy outdid himself this year, and put out a major spread. The only complaint I have is that I didn't take advantage of his offer to take a couple plates home, sigh. I was soooo stuffed after dinner that it just didn't appeal to me at all, but man o man, I think a turkey sammich today would be great, lol. Ah, well, hindsight is 20-20, right?

Pag, I'll take some of that cherry pie, please. I don't know if I've ever cooked for 14 people, I think the most was a Christmas dinner a few years back for 12...and because I wanted to, believe it or not. With just the two of us here, it just seems silly to make a whole dinner, tho, so I don't really do the big turkey/ham dinners. Last Christmas, come to think of it, I did a big dinner the day after...my son was here, first time I'd seen him in five years or so, and my dgd was here, also. And it was a good dinner, and because I wanted to. So I guess the number of people eating make a difference as to whether or not I want to cook, lol.

Harley, I can't make a decent pie crust! I only tried once, tho, but it was such a disaster that I just never tried again, lol. "IF" I were going to bake a pie now, I'd most likely just buy a premade crust from the grocery store. Lazy. Yup, terminally lazy. I'm glad your dinner was a success...and equally as glad that I didn't have to cook this year!!! Your outside decorations will be cute. That's something I've never done, tho. The only thing I do is hang a wreath on the front door. I'm not sure if we'll even bother doing the inside of the house this year. Maybe. We'll see. And btw, even if I'd had the money, you couldn't have gotten me to go shopping today. No way! Too many people out there for me, lol.

Kimmyo, that was so nice to say about us here on the board. And no, I didn't venture out for Black Friday shopping...as I just said, but it bears saying again, lol. That's how strongly I feel about Black Friday. UGH! LOL! But, if you enjoy it, I'm sorry you didn't go out this year. Y'know, it's a shame we don't all live much closer to each other...we could take turn about helping to deep clean our homes, or do "projects." Even as lazy and slow as I am, I can still use a broom, lol, and would enjoy getting together to help one of us get something done. Oooooh, we could do big cooking projects, too, eh? That could be a lot of fun...IF we were close enough, tho. Um, I want some of that potato and shrimp soup, ok?!?!? Thanks...lol!

I went in to work today, and there were too many of us scheduled, so the boss told me I could come home if I wanted to, and you KNOW I wanted to. Yeeeehaw!!! I might not be so happy when the rent comes due, but for today, well, it's been a great afternoon. I have been in front of this computer for hours. Love it, lol. But, it's about time to fix some dinner...hot dogs, canned potatoes fried, and pork 'n' beans. Easy and good and cheap and filling...my favorite kind of meal! Y'all have a good weekend, hear? God bless.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yea! you were able to get here again Joyce. You are welcome to anything I fixed for yesterday.

Your dinner tonite sounds good to me have had it many times except my pork N beans have to be cold or room temp don't like them heated.

Hope all on the porch had a good Thanksgiving. I did
Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Joyce I agree...how coolwould it be if we could get together and cook. I love to cook and would love to have someone to cook with! Wish I could send you some of my soup! Didn't go out shopping Friday and ya know what...I was okay with that! LOL Started doing some decorating...not motivated yet so its going slow. Had a great Turkey day and looking forward to game time tonight!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Hi Kimmyo yes it would be great as Joyce has said. I would be thrilled to just be able to meet even on of the porch gang.

Happy weekend all
Old 11-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Mine turned out better than I expected it to since this was my first year cooking the entire meal. My MIL always did Thanksgiving and I just brought a side dish and a dessert. This year I did chicken/dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans,corn,sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pies and banana pudding. The reason I was cooking it all myself is because I was cooking for a bunch of men and children. My SIL was coming but she is so unreliable you had better not ask her to bring anything you really need. I asked her to bring rolls,a dessert and drinks. She did and they were on time so all turned out well.

DH roasted the turkey this year. He saw a show on the Food Network the other day. Alton Brown, it is more about the science of cooking. DH researched it all on the internet about making a brine and soaking the turkey in it overnight then roasting it in the oven. It turned out great, very moist and beautiful. Hope we can make it a tradition. LOL

Been eating leftovers for a few days now and about ready to toss out what's left although it isn't too much.

Think I'll cook a pot roast tomorrow. I have some potatoes and carrots and onions to cook with it. Also have pumpkin pie left.

Thinking of starting on the Christmas decorations this weekend. Don't know yet.

I would love to get together and do some cooking projects with you ladies. My friend Teresa and I do it together quite often. We will be doing our holiday baking pretty soon. I have been practicing with a few new recipes lately. Made some homemade cheese straws the other day. I really didn't care for them but everyone else loved them.

DH is at work and DS is at my nephews for the night so I"m home alone. It is very nice. Peaceful and quiet. No TV!!!

Think I'll turn in for the night. Chat with you all later.

Hugs,
Kelly

Last edited by kellygirl64; 11-24-2007 at 11:56 PM. Reason: error