Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

States See who visits from your state!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Iso....Internet Access deals in my area

Hello there fellow Michiganders. I hope this is the right place to put this post. I currently do not have a house phone (land line) looking to get online via cable. I've been using the library computer and my parent's too and we miss having our own. We have been seeing deals on tv lately for internet deals and packages but they show the commercial so fast that we don't have time to think about it nor get the phone number or name of the company. Has anyone seen or heard of any deals? The only one that I can seem to find online is Comcast. My mom has Charter but we don't get it here in Grand Rapids. I went to the websearch and all the internet offers say that they don't offer it in my area but comcast does. Thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I don't live in Michigan, but I have lived in 2 different places at the same time for the past 2 years. Here in Carlsbad, we get our Internet service via the local cable. However, in Las Cruces, we got my Internet via Qwest, which we paid through Direct TV. For $50, I had cable and Internet access. I could be wrong ant it may have been as high as $70. My DH pays the bills. We don't have a landline either. We found that it was cheaper for us both to use cell phones and talk to each other for free on the cell-to-cell service. That costs us $100 per month. Since I will be moving to Texas in August or maybe the end of July, we will be going the same route of using the DirectTV and whoever they have a contract with for Internet service. It was high speed telephone and I haven't found it to be any slower than the cable. Plus, it is mobile and can move anywhere I go. Since I am still going to school (graduate school) I have to go with cheap and I need Internet access for research.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The only problem with cable internet access, is that most people have no choices!! There are few places with more than one cable company servicing their area. Even in the Hotlanna area with something like 15 cable companies, only one company serves an area. We are limited to Charter. Yet just a mile "down the road" they are served by Comcast.

So your first job will be to find out what cable company(ies) serve your neighborhood. You can find out online by simply typing in your city and then "cable company" (without the ""). Then you look through the websites for the place you can enter your address to see if they serve you.

When we first moved to this neighborhood, I had to do that with 3 different companies. When I found the one that served us, I could check out their packages and whatnot.

If there are two that serve your neighborhood, then you can "play them off" against each other to get the best price you can. But remember, most introductory prices go up after 3-6 months, occasionally not for a year, but they do go up. So when you get them on the phone, be sure to find out what it will be when the intro price expires.

I will say that cable internet is the fastest you can get. Satellite internet is even slower than dial-up, so even if it were lots cheaper than my cable, I wouldn't get it. I need the high speed access because of the medical-legal research I do.

Hope this helped a little bit!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
~*~ A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.
~*~ Robert Heinlein ~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*