Hope everyone makes it through Frances OK

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My thoughts and prayers are going out to Florida right now. I'm a native Floridian and but for a twist of fate we might still be living there. I've been through several hurricanes growing up and missed Andrew by one month.
    Take care all and let us know how you're doing after Frances goes by.
  • well.....Charley came right through here......and then Frances blew by.... now they are talking about Ivan, and we aren't even anywhere near being on our feet. I'm just so weary of it all.
  • bettdev....Was so happy to hear from you today feel free to IM me at anytime. I am weary too with all the thinking what to protect and what to save before the storm hit.

Was worried about my DH since he is older and had a bypass a few years ago. He made me proud still had enough stamina to get the jobs done. Was so much cleaning up after the storm outside. Garbage pickup was back to normal so was the mail.
    Seemed funny watching everyone mow their lawns to keep them neat & trim. The older people in their 70s & 80s were outside all working together to clean up. Was a sight to see everyone hustling about.
  • I honestly thought that FL would be harder hit, so I was glad to see it lessen in strength; it was still to strong though. I really pray that Ivan leaves you all alone and us too. Whoever it hits is going to be hurting real bad.
    Take care all.
  • Just Checkin' on You Ladies...
    I was hoping some of you posted as to how you were and how you felt about Ivan's approach.

I am a native Louisianan, so hurricanes are familial - but you guys are just jutting out in the middle of hurricane alley - seemingly in the middle of the road, so to speak, prime targets to get run over by these storms lately.

My family thinks of you all daily and we pray for you all daily, as well.

Please keep posting -- and look out for Ivan....

Maybe things will calm down soon??

• I'm thinking of getting out of here...........This storm is going to be the last straw.
    This could possibly create a threat to our safety to be here post-hurricane. What would stop any looting, etc.......?

This has got to end.......I've lost my job, and can't get back to "normal" when it's a struggle to find gas, water, or even bread.
  • Ohhhhh Bettdev!
    I feel for you, girl...

Pray about it and do what you are prompted to do. Sometimes that means MOVE out of our "comfort" zones and we are being forewarned.

My son just called me and said a guy in Sarasota wants him to come down there and help him reinstall satellite dishes etc. for people because he is overloaded.

DS lives in Ohio.

I told him I worried about him heading down that way this weekend and being there next week because of the situation. He thinks he can drive out if Ivan threatens, but I tried to explain to him about the gas outtages and traffic, etc. He still thinks he could get out of Sarasota with a day's notice.

What do YOU think??

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Do you have family you can stay with till you get re-situated??
  • jnlowe
    Tell him to stay put.

Sarasota is, on a good day, about 5 hours to the GA state line.

With the gas shortages, and everyone trying to get out of here for various reasons........he'll end up getting stranded along the way, if he does make it through......it'll be probably a 12-15 hour trip.
    He needs to stay out of here for now.

That job will be here later on.
  • Re: Ohhhhh Bettdev!
    jnlowe, I agree with bettdev. Please tell your DS to stay put! I doubt, with Ivan apparently on his way, that too many folks will be bothering to get their dishes hooked back up yet anyway (my mom said most of her neighbors weren't even taking the boards off their windows,) and, as bettdev pointed out, it could be a l-o-n-g drive from Sarasota to safer ground (which will quite likely be much farther north than the FL/GA line,) and that's only if he can find gas down there. And they didn't have a "day's notice" when Charley changed his path, just a matter of hours. I grew up in Central FL and went through my share of hurricanes. Trust me, nobody wants to be there who doesn't have to! Even my mother, who's had almost 71 years of FL hurricanes, says they're probably going north to her "feller's" brother's in OH if Ivan heads their way. Three big storms so close together has been just too many for her!

bettdev, I'm so sorry this is such an especially awful time for you. I fear you aren't the only storm-weary Floridian who'll be packing up after this. It's been an awful 'cane season so far this year, but it has been a freakish one, too. Thank God, it's not usually so bad! Please remember that you have a bunch of shoulders here to lean on -- and cry on, if you need a good cry. We're thinking of you!
  • roisindubh
    Thanks for the support!
    I'm just checking in, before going out to get gas, propane, food, and chlorine for the pool. (strange as it sounds...it might be our only water source for awhile!) My boyfriend has been freezing blocks of ice, and stocking up his huge freezer with them. It's empty of food....lost all of it when Charley came thru.
    Things are getting tense around town. People are lined up at gas stations, and Home Depot is already out of plywood.
    We are getting what we can today and tomorrow, and doing our preparations @ home on Sunday.

WOW.......here's some good news! My DD ...who failed school last year... just told me that she is upset that the schools will be closed next week! She likes her new school, and actually WANTS to be there! YEAH!!!!

ok all.....gotta go...........see ya later...... Bett