Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Holidays > St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day Have some great Irish recipes? Or need some fun "green" party ideas and crafts? Ask here!

Old 03-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Everyone is Irish Today!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day

to everyone who reads this today!!

Luck O' The Irish To You!!

It's Friday! Don't forget the green cheer!!!

Hope you get many kisses too!

My Irish Eyes are smilin'on you today!!!

Tami
Attached Images

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Happy St Patricks day To you to Tami!!!!
Today is a special day as it is my Moms birthday!!!

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Debbie, Tell your Mom "Happy Birthday from all of us here in NC!"

I just got back from decorating my son's classroom and there was a phone call from his teacher thanking me for doing it.

I ran around like crazy since I only had 15 minutes to do it but her phone call made it all worth it!

One of the things that I did was to turn their chairs upside down on their desks and weave crepe paper through them, creating a maze. She said that they were having a blast going through the mazes. Wish I could've stayed to see their faces but we wanted it to be a surprise. I'm sure my son will recognize my handwriting so let's see if he figures it out.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My DS just came walking through the door carrying his Shamrock from school. When I asked him if they did anything fun for St. Patrick's day he said " My teacher said that we got visited by a dumb Leprechaun but everyone knows there are no such things so she was just being stupid when she decorated our room". Then I asked what they did and he said that she gave them some dumb, melted gold coins that he already ate and a snack. I asked if they played any games and he said "Just a dumb word search"---now this hurt because I spent a lot of time making up a game booklet for them to do. It had 4 games and jokes in it. She told them that they could take them home or throw them in the recycle bin in their room.

He left his "Leprechaun Dust" in his desk--at least he said he thinks he did--he probably threw it away too.

I dont know if Im more mad at how much time I spent putting all of this together or sad at the fact that he thought the whole thing was so stupid. I'm really not liking my son too much right now due to how he treats things that are given to him and his actions right now.

I finally told him that his teacher didnt decorate the class, that it was me who did it. He seemed shocked when I started crying--I just couldnt help it--he was so mean...not just to me ( because he didnt know that I did it), but to whoever had done it.

I guess that I will get to hear the other reaction when I go in to help out in the classroom on Tues. Right now I think Im going to have a pitty party of my own for a few minutes.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami I feel so bad for you right now......I would be having that pity party too if my kids came home saying the things your son had. It is so tough nowadays kids grow up so quickly and give up on fantasy and fun way to early. I am sure some of the kids loved all the "cool" things you did for them in the class. My kids would have loved for someone to take the time to do all that. Hope you feel better soon!

We made green pancakes for lunch today, had green juice and kiwi fruit. For snack I gave each child a ziplock baggie with 1 tbsp instan pudding powder, addded 1/2 cup milk and green food coloring. Seal and let the kids shake till it becomes pudding consistency. We then snipped off a corner and ate.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, I would be mad too. I'm sorry your DS didn't enjoy the treats, decorations and games you gave to him and his class. It might be a bit of a "boy" thing, you know, not cool to like stuff like that....or it might be that something else happened today that is bothering him.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tammi,
Sorry to hear I would be mad/sad as well! It could very well just be a boy thing, Sending you a cyber hug.

Leighann
Old 03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm still upset with him but I'm trying to get over it. I was warned by a mother at the begining of the school year that when this time in the year rolled around that I would probably see my son get stressed out due to all of the demands being made on them in this school. She was right. Andy is dealing with the stress of reading a book every night and taking a test on it the next day for school--each and every week. He is reading on a 4th grade level so we are talking about at least one, 20 page books every night. He needs to read at least 3 books a week and get 3-100% scores to make his "points" for the week. If he doesnt get 3 perfect scores, it adds another book to the week. Very stressful!

I have seen my son change from a loving, caring child to someone who is turning mean and spiteful--hense part of his reaction today. I'm still not sure why he said what he did today. I've decided to talk to my husband about it and then see if he can get Andy to open up about it.

I gave up on anything "green" that I had planned for dinner tonight.

Debbie, I would've loved to have eaten at your house today!

Enjoy the rest of the night! I'm glad that tomorrow is just an ordinary day!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow Tami

I would think that he is going through a tough time...that has to be stressful. I can not imagine my kids having homework like that. I hope that is all it is, hope your hubby can get to the root of the problem...if there is one!! Sending some "HUGS" your way.

hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, he is a second grader, right? It sounds like a lot of academic pressure. It really toasts my marshmallows when schools do this to kids. From what you are saying it sounds like a pretty natural reaction for him. He's overwhelmed, stressed, scared & angry. He probably has a lot of these feelings directed toward his teacher because she is the "bad guy" (the one who gives the assignments, even if they are not her choice to give). But if he thought his teacher did all that stuff today, that could be why he called it all "dumb" and put it in the trash.

I wish I had some advice to give but I don't. In fact I fear being in your situation in a few years....I don't know what the early grades are like in the school my kids will attend next year, but I imagine that since their pre-k is 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, it's fairly intense. Luke will NOT be attending preschool there, because I think it's too much. I can only see it getting worse from there.