Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

St. Patrick's Day Have some great Irish recipes? Or need some fun "green" party ideas and crafts? Ask here!

Old 02-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Any Special Traditions For St Patricks Day?

Besides wearing Green do you or your family have any special traditions for celebrating St. Patricks Day? We usually have corn beef and cabbage for dinner. I also am guilty of putting green food coloring in all food for the day. Hubby and I have gone out to a local tavern for a pint of green beer in past too.

So what are some of the things you do??

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
We really haven't done anything in the past except wear green. This year though I'm thinking about going all out with the food and decorations.

One thing that I have noticed living in the south is that most of the people around us don't celebrate their nationalities the way we did in the north. I'm used to festivals and parades to celebrate days like this. I will miss the big St. Patrick's Day parade in Pittsburgh.

I asked my neighbor the other day what nationality she was and she didnt even know! LOL!!

I'm proud to say !!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-25-2006, 11:11 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

We have no traditions for St. Patrick's day either. I'll wear green if I think about it, but come to thnk about it, I don't think I have anything green to wear.
At least I look Irish and have an Irish name. LOl.

Coll
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Traditions

We or course have corned beef and cabbage every year. And lots of beer and Bailey's as well. My daughter tries to "catch a leprechaun" by decorating a box and filling it with "jewels" (anything shiny) to attract him. Then she leaves it out overnight and in the morning checks to see if she caught one. Of course, she never does, but one always manages to get in there and drop something, like beads, candy or chocolate coins...that kind of stuff! She loves this tradition. We all wear green and sometimes read out of my mother's old Irish Fairy Tales book. We also like to watch some movies, like leprechaun movies or The Quiet Man. Most of all, we just like to celebrate our heritage.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mom i like the idea of a chest with jewels for your daughter.....what a cute idea!!!

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love the idea of "catching a leprechaun"! When my kids were little I would read Green Eggs and Ham and then cook that for breakfast! They never really cared for the whole green food idea! LOL

Now that our kids are older, we go to the Boston Beanery with friends & stay for hours!! They usually have someone playing the bagpipes & letting patrons have a try at it...very difficult!

I decorate a little for the holiday and we are always decked out in Green. Between the dollar stores & Target, we have lots of gaudy green garb...ties, necklaces with shot glasses, hats, etc.

This year I have to fix snack for my college class on the 17th and I'm searching for green snack ideas!!!

Sherrie
Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member

Big Grin

I'm not Irish but my dh is half Irish. I decorate my front windows and door with Shamrocks. We have corn beef and cabbage, we all love it. I wear green and all my GK's have green t shirts that say, My Lucky Shirt that I bought them and they wear to school. I leave golden candy coins around the house and they think the Leprechaun left them. I act very suprised when they find them. No matter if you are Irish or not it's a fun day....
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am not Irish but my DH is so we do wear green and I decorate the windows and door with green things and we always have cornbeef and cabbage and green Lemonade and the GC love that.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My brother grill a corn beef and has us over, I make soda bread using my momís recipe. It has to be round and usually light and dark raisins. Iím 100% Irish American and was brought up to think it was a great way to celebrate during the long Lenten season. I always make a big cornbeef and my family loves colcannon) mashed potatoes and cabbage baked together and more soda bread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My dh and I are both part Irish but don't really care for the traditional foods such as corned beef, soda bread and cabbage. It was my brother's birthday and he is in heaven now but I usually play an Irish music box that has a little girl and boy dressed up in Irish clothes and plays When Irish Eyes are Smiling, and light a few candles in his honor.