Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

help with a dining room that is my homeschool room

What a mess! I have my table, side board, corner cupboard, compter desk and all computer stuff, one built in bookshelf and one that matches the desk. I keep all my 'using right now' hs books in one bookshelf, might need this year and household in the built in. I did buy photo boxes for storage. One is for office, one for school ect. Any other ideas??
Old 09-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bluebird, it might help if you tell us exactly what "stuff" you need to organize (books/papers/art supplies/maps/science equipment...am I missing anything?)
and if you intend to still EAT in that room. That way we can have a better idea of what help you need.

You did not say that you have an individual desk for each child. One thing I might suggest is to get each child a tote bag or backpack for his/her own school materials. That's their "Schoolbag." That child is responsible to keep his/her materials together and in order and have them at the ready each school day. At the end of the day you can designate a place for the Schoolbag whether it is in the child's room, a closet somewhere, whatever works.

Wishing you a great homeschool year!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Their desks are in their rooms. We use the dining table more than the desks. The small bookcase has the books we are using now. Any easy ideas on keeping up with bills and mail? My dining room has turned into the place to put everything. Maybe I need "Clean Sweep"? LOL I also need ideas on how/where to store the 'get rid ofs'. Really I want someone to come do it for me! I will start a little each day......
Old 09-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just recently saw a clean sweep program where the child did her homework in the dining room....as a result, the team built a homework "Caddy" on wheels! It reminded me of those stackable containers on wheels that you can purchase at target or wal mart. Maybe this is your solution? You can wheel it away when you are entertaining? Make the clean up a part of your school day?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I'm definitely not an organized person although I have a ton of organizing books! I love the show "Clean Sweep"! and wish that I could have them do our whole apartment!
I may have a suggestion to help you with your bills though... I have a binder with page protectors in it. You can put one or two bills in each pg prot. in the order that they're due. I helps to keep the env. with the bill too. Then I used to file everything away in their separate files. Right now I've been slacking so much that I have boxes under the desk filled with stuff to file!! LOL! I need to clean up my file cabinet so I can file them! Does anyone know how long you need to keep paperwork, bills, receipts when you're an independant contractor? That is part of my problem, I don't know what I can throw away!! Anyway, I hope that my suggestion helps! Oh, you've probably heard this one, but just in case... for your mail you could get one of those vertical wall hanging file things, usually has a couple of slots, you could use one for incoming mail and one for outgoing mail, and from what I hear (not that I'm good at doing it myself!) but you're only supposed to touch each piece of mail once and figure out what to do with it, like on Clean Sweep! By the way we are also a homeshcooling family but my kiddos are real young, almost 2 and 4.
Good Luck!
Amy

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Old 09-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Filing:
You might want to check out some of the filing solutions on Get Organized Now!
They have a product called "fileWISE" and lots of suggestions and articles about organization.
Flylady has lots of organization ideas, and a whole system for household maintenance that my daughter swears by.

Homeschooling:
Are you trying to school at the dining room table, then sending each child to her room to work? That may or may not work out particularly well. You may need to dedicate a room or a chunk of a room specifically to homeschooling - either that or just give up eating in your dining room. Sounds like you are using it not only as your homeschooling spot but your office and sundries room, too! I have no idea how your house is set up. My DD homeschooled her kids for a while, and she ended up taking over the family room and making the living room a family / living room. They ate in the kitchen. She found she needed to supervise them more closely than was possible with them studying individually in their rooms. You may need to re-think how you are doing this.

What we ended up doing was creating drawings of our house, then deciding what our lifestyle is and how the house could meet the needs of our lifestyle. As a result, we have a dining area, an entertainment area, a "grandkids" room (for semi-supervised play), a masterbedroom and two offices! No guest room and no "spare" room! Downstairs we have a "storage room/junk room" and a large library room that acts an an overflow room. The kitchen / breakfast rooms / laundry area are going to be totally renovated sometime in the next 2 or 3 years into one big room with "centers" for cooking, eating, pantry and laundry. If our lifestyle changes, we'll simply change our house around to support our lifestyle. That's what a house is supposed to do - make your lifestyle easier. So don't let your house dictate how you try to live - make it support how you WANT to live!

And remember, today's needs will not be here tomorrow, so you will eventually get your "real" dining room back if you decide to make it into a dedicated schoolroom/office! Kids eventually grow up and move away, allowing you to develop an entirely new way of living!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

closet

We gave in to the stuff and built a closet across a whole wall of the room for homeschool stuff. Never use most of it, though. Wish the clean sweep team would swoop in.....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just like in public schools you need a "clean-up" time, and anything that is being used for home-work goes in their rooms until class begins the following day. If your children do not have home-work, then they put their books back where they belong in the class shelves/storage unit until the next days class.
Otherwise, it sounds to me, you have everything set-up the way it could be functional... unless you have another area of the house or local library you could use, but you would still need clean-up time.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

was thinking closet like you preacherswife. I was thinking how in the old days my grandma had cupboards that ran from ceiling to floor and went cross one wall. I like the idea of computer type desks with doors that cover the mesh. I watched a tv show that had a whole wall in the entertainment area with shelves and such and pull floor to ceiling as a hide about 2 feet from wall. curtains pulled open and there was your usable wall of stuff. School over ,slide the curtain closed and your dining room looks good as new.