Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Looking for a great HM potato soup recipe

Weve decided to throw my mother a birthday party this year. To keep it simple, Im suggesting that we have Soups and salad w/ a couple different rolls, then cake. Im going to make beef barley soup and since she loves potato soup, I thought Id make that too. Does anyone have a tried & true recipe for it ? Ive found many on the internet but I hate to make something out of the blue for the first time for others to eat and have it turn out bad. My Dh & Ds doesnt like potato soup or I would try it here first. Since I cant, Im relying on someone here to rescue me .
Old 02-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing

Hi! *s*

This is a great recipe for potato soup....You can make it with or without ham.....*s* This is for 4 -6 servings....just keep doubling until you have the right amount... *s*

It is rich ...but ohhhh so good! *s*

1/4 cup of butter
2 leeks....white and very light green parts only, sliced very thin
1 large carrot, diced fine
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1 ham bone, or 1 cup minced cooked smoked ham
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
2 lbs of potatoes ( I use Yukon Gold) diced fine
fresh ground pepper to taste
fresh Italian parsley chopped....about 1/4 cup
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt to taste

Melt butter in a 4 qt saucepan, add leeks and carrot, saute until soft, about 7 minutes, add potatoes, toss to coat, add broth, celerty salt, ham bone and or minced smoked ham. Cook on low heat until potatoes are very soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Puree mixture in a food processor or blender....return to pan, add cream, heat but do not boil. Adjust seasonings and sprinkle with
parsley just prior to serving.

The nice thing about this soup is it tastes just as good the following day...so you can make it ahead of time.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do! *s*

Jeannie in TX
Old 02-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Simple Potatoe Soup

This has no specific amounts so you choose the quantity.
Peel and cube potatoes; choose pan to suit the quantity; cover with water about 1 inch over potatoes; add a tablespoon or to taste of chicken soup base and chopped onions to suit your taste. Cook until about half done. Mix flour and milk (I use can milk) to a smooth paste and add to your potatoes while they are boiling. I then add butter or oleo and seasonings to taste. I also use some dried parsley flakes for added flavor and color. I have used this 'loose' recipe for about 40 years. Everyone in my family loves it. It is so versatile. I don't really use a recipe for my soups, I just make them out of what I have on hand.:
I hope that this will help. God Bless.
angel:
Old 02-28-2002, 05:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend from Louisiana made this potatoe soup for me and it is the best I've ever had.

5 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 medium onion
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
1 cup water
red pepper

Cover potatoes, onion and salt with cold water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes in their liquid, add butter, milk and water.

You can add fresh mushrooms and/or 1 lb. bacon fried and drained. Enjoy
Old 03-01-2002, 05:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Potato Soups

These all sound delish!

Could you stand another recipe? The sweet potatoes used in this recipe are mashed, but the soup is absolutely rich tasing!

Cream of Potato Soup

4 sweet potatoes (about 1 pound each)
9 cups water
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup tomato sauce
4 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
dash thyme
1/2 cup cashews (split in half)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until they are done. Cool the potatoes.

2. Discard skin, then put the potatoes into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes for 30 seconds so that they are not lumpy.

3. Spoon the mashed sweet potato into a large saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

4. When the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for one hour more or less.

5. Add Cashews as a garnish. Serves 6
Old 03-02-2002, 06:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Baked Potato Soup

Hi, I have one more recipe to add to your list. This is undoubtedly the best potato soup I've ever tasted. If you try this you will never look for another potato soup recipe. Not exactly low-fat but great for a once-in-a-while treat! Ready?

6 slices bacon, cut up
3 baking potatos, cubed, not peeled
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbs flour
2 tsp paprika
2 green onion, chopped

Cook bacon in large saucepan until crisp; crumble, set aside.
Drain, reserving 3 Tbs drippings in pan.
Add potatoes, onions, carrots and celery to drippings. Cover; cook over low heat until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
Stir in milk, salt, and pepper.
Bring mixture to a boil.
In a bowl, mix sour cream, flour, and paprika.
Slowly stir in 1 cup of the hot potato mixture. Stir until creamy.
Put sour cream mix back into the soup in pot. Cook and stir until soup bubbles.
Serve with bacon pieces and green onions sprinkled on top.

Old 03-02-2002, 09:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Homemade Potato Soup

***HOMEMADE POTATO SOUP***

8 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
chicken stock or water
1 can evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
instant potato flakes

***INSTRUCTIONS***

Put potatoes, onion and celery into large dutch oven (big pot), cover with chicken stock, simmer until potatoes are soft but not falling apart. Add milk, then parsley. Continue to simmer until parsley is done (about 10 minutes), now stirring constantly (but gently as not to break up potatoes) add potato flakes until soup is desired thickness. Add a dollup of butter, serve hot.

NOTE: I serve warm crusty sourdough bread and a nice green salad. I sincerely hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does!
Old 03-03-2002, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BACON POTATO SOUP

1/4 lb bacon, diced 2 cups milk

1/4 cup celery, sliced 2 potatoes, diced

3 green onions, sliced 1 tsp salt

2 T flour 1/4 tsp pepper

2 cups water 1/2 tsp parsley

Place bacon pieces in heavy pan and cook until brown. Add celery and onions. Cook until just soft. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes. Add water and milk. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add potatoes and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Serves: 4

CREAMY POTATO SOUP

4 potatoes, quartered 2 1/2 cups milk

1 carrot, finely chopped 3 T butter, melted

1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped 3 T flour

1 onion, finely chopped 1 T parsley

1 1/2 cups chicken broth 1 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

In a large pot, bring potatoes, carrot, celery, onion, chicken broth, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Do not drain; mash slightly. Stir in milk. In a small bowl, blend butter, flour, parsley and pepper; stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; let soup stand for 5 minutes.

Serves: 6

POTATO CHOWDER

2 T butter 3 potatoes, diced

1 onion, diced 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes

1 stalk celery, diced (leftovers)

2 T flour 1 tsp salt

2 cups chicken broth 1/4 tsp pepper

2 cups milk parsley

Melt butter in soup pot. Add celery and onion; cook until just soft. Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 3 minutes. Add broth, milk, and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are soft (about 45 minutes). Whisk in the mashed potatoes. Serve warm, garnish with parsley.

Serves: 4-6

---
--- [email protected]
Old 03-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My sister had me try this recipe years ago...I thought it looked disgusting (I'm not a potato soup fan), but I loved it...especially on cold winter nights. I'm going to try to remember all the ingredients by recall--hope I get it right!

1/2 small head of cabbage, diced (or sliced thin)
4 - 8 med/large potatoes, cut in chunks (not sure about number)
2 cans of chicken broth
1 large onion, cut up
1 large carrot, diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 stalk of celery, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 tsp of marjoram (cannot remember exactly)
milk
1 lb. cheddar cheese, cut into chunks

Cook first six ingredients in large stockpot until potatoes are soft. Use a blender to puree 2 - 4 cups at a time (depending on size of blender) using some of the liquid and milk to make a thick soup. If serving immediately, add cheese to soup; let melt and serve. To serve later, place some cheese in a bowl, pour soup over top and heat in microwave.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.

Last edited by sharlibird; 03-03-2002 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

1 potatoe 2 potatoe 3 :))

Heres you another Potatoe recipe. I make it from scratch Meaning I don't measure. So heres what I do.

I peel and dice potatoes (2 per person I'm feeding)
I cover with water in a large pot.
Next I dice a onion, a stalk of celery (you can use dried onions and celery flakes) I put them in the pot.

I let them simmer til tender. Then I drain part of the water off and add 2 cans of evaporated milk. and a dab of butter.

Next I take plain flour had some salt and pepper to it i. Then with a fork I stir enough water in the flour to make rub up's, I drop small rub up's (I thank up north you call them rivils) I let simmer in the potato soup till done don't take long,

Hope you in joy:P

This be Tree