Vegetable Beef Barley Soup--Crockpot

• This recipe was originally posted in September 2007 What’s for Dinner by ajrsmom
    vegetable beef barley soup in the crockpot
    -2 lg. cans of Tomato Juice
    -1 1/2-2 lbs stew meat
    -2 cans of green beans, drained
    -1 can of corn, drained
    -4-5 lg. carrots, sliced into thin circles
    -minced garlic
    -(if you like cooked cabbage add) 1/2 of a head of cabbage, chopped into small pieces. (I cooked mine on the side to add it just to my soup).
    -1 small box of 10 min quick-cook Barley

In a lg. skillet, brown the stew meat in Olive Oil and heaping tablespoon of minced garlic.

Into a 5qt. crockpot, add Tomato juice, meat with any juices left in the skillet, carrots and cabbage. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hrs. Then add green beans and corn. Continue to cook for 2 1/4 hrs more or until carrots and cabbage are tender. Add entire box of Barley and let sit for 15 min. Ready to eat!
  • Thanks for sharing
    I tried this recipe. It was good. Something different. Barley is good for you & I rarely cook w/ it so I thought it would be a nice change.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Sandy1970
  • Thanks Sandy!! I'm glad that you liked it.

I had to laugh once I realized it was my recipe because I was just looking for a recipe for something to make with a beef roast. lol!!

I haven't made this for a while--used to before my kids suddenly turned so picky about what veggies they like and dislike. My husband was just hinting about how he would like to have some soup with Barley in it--he loves it!

This is going on my menu for this week.