Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-11-2002, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question ISO: Homemade flavored applesauce

This request was sent via our Frugality Corner newsletter. Anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have a recipe for making homemade flavored applesauce? I recently purchased these for my kids and they loved them. They are sold in 6-pack individual sizes and include flavors like mango peach, berry punch, strawberry kiwi, lemon lime, strawberry banana, etc. The only problem is that they are quite pricey...about $3 for just six individual servings. I have a recipe for just plain applesauce but I was wondering if anyone out there has a recipe for the flavored kinds?

Thanks,
Judy M.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-11-2002, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb flavored applesauce

I've used powdered gelatin (such as Jello) to flavor apples before dehydrating them. I believe adding a little of any flavor gelatin powder to your applesauce, homemade or even purchased, would work well for you and be much less expensive than the cups of pre-fab, colored and flavored with who-knows-what applesauce at the grocery. I hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

homemade applesauce

i found this recipe in the 2002 taste of home quick cooking annual book.
8 to 10 large tart apples,peeled and cut into chuncks
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

combine apples,sugar,water and cinnamon in a slow cooker. stir gently. cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until apples are tender. yields about 5 cups. tast of home has a web site. it is www.reimanpub.com. they have a newsletter that comes out every month with recipes, too . they have some good magazines.
i hope this help. another extra bonus is while this is cooking it fills your house with awonderful aroma.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my mom makes apple sauce. and she puts red hots in it. they make the apple sauce a pretty pink and makes it taste yummy..... and its not hot either.
tab,
conway arkansas
Old 02-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi y'all.....

Well as for applesauce, I make baked apples, and have the left over ones mashed up for applesauce to use in the week. If you need a recipe I'll gladly give it..

To the applesauce you now make...add mashed cooked peaches ( canned peaches in winter time).....raspberries you can cook with your apples for raspberry apple flavor......same with strawberries.

Jeannie in Tx....*s*
Old 02-16-2002, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Many of the flavored applesauces are actually flavored pear sauce. I zap a few cut up pears in the blender and add a handful of the stronger flavored fruit, fresh or frozen. Strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry have all been great hits! I usually do this when my pears are getting a little ripe. It keeps in the fridge for a few days.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:44 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This came from one of our newsletter readers:

I would suggest looking at the label on the applesauce that your family likes and note what spices they are using. Probably cinnamon and maybe a LITTLE bit of cloves, etc. Just add these spices to your home-made applesauce a little bit at a time until you get the taste you want. The amount of sugar can also be adjusted from zero to whatever tastes good to you.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-17-2002, 01:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda,

Would love to know what your basic home made apple sauce recipe is and how do you store it ? Can it or freeze it? My kids love the flavored apple sauces also. Love all the ideas on how to do it home because I definately can't afford the prepackaged ones at the store.

Thanks for any info!

Kim
Old 02-17-2002, 05:33 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Kimmy Actually, that post was from one of my newsletter readers, but I have made applesauce before. It'a been a long time since I made it tho. It's a pretty basic recipe. Don't know about storing it tho, it didn't last long enough LOL I just had it in a jar in the fridge

This one I found here
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hk/reci...65,542,00.html

Basic Homemade Applesauce

The amount of time it takes apples to collapse when you cook them for applesauce depends entirely on the apples you use. McIntosh, for example, collapse into applesauce very quickly, whereas sturdier Granny Smith apples hold their shape for quite a bit longer. If you do not have a cinnamon stick on hand, use 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

2 1/2 pounds apples (about 7 medium)
1 cinnamon stick (about 6")

1. Core apples and cut into wedges, but do not peel them.

2. In medium saucepan, combine apples and cinnamon stick. Cover, turn heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes, or until apples have given up juice and are at a steam-boil. Reduce to low and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Remove cinnamon stick. Pass through a food mill or coarse sieve to remove skin.

Nutritional Information

Per 1/2 cup serving: 103 calories, 0.6g total fat, 0.1g saturated fat, 0g monounsaturated fat, 0.2g polyunsaturated fat, 4.8g dietary fiber, 0g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium

Good source of: fiber, quercetin

Here's another from
http://family.go.com/parties/holiday...7hanukah8.html

HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE

Sweet, tart, homemade applesauce is a perfect complement for a plateful of piping hot latkes. Because the apple skins are left on during cooking, this sauce comes out a rosy pink.

12 medium apples
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Wash, quarter and core the apples. Place them in a large cooking pot, and add the water. Over medium heat, cook the apples until they are nearly soft. Add the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook the mixture for a few minutes longer, then press it through a strainer and let it cool. Serve it warm or cold. Makes about 5 cups of applesauce.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-18-2002, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Amanda for the recipes!!!!!

Got lucky yesterday and found apple cinnamon on sale for .98 a jar got some to last a while!!!!!!