FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Small Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/small-animals/)
-   -   Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats or Mice? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/small-animals/27942-hamsters-gerbils-rats-mice.html)

cat lover 10-06-2010 08:30 AM

Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats or Mice?

What type of small animal do you think makes the best pet for a child? Do you think any of the above ones are very trainable? And then keeping the cage clean.... do you expect the child to do this or do you do that part?

happymomof4 10-06-2010 08:39 AM

When my kids where younger we had hamster, gerbils, guinea pigs, hermit crabs, lizards. The kids where responsible for cleaning the cages and feeding them. I like the hermit crabs the best. I am not big on the others just because I can't stand mice or anything like them!!!!! The kids did very well with taking care of them.

We had rabbits outside in cages for a few years. It got to the point where I was the only one taking care of them. So we found somebody to take them cage and all. The rabbits we would put on leashes and walk them around the yard. It was fun.

DeBora4BobbyL 10-06-2010 06:00 PM

Right now, each child has a hamster. However, there new pere breeds do not get along with each other. When I was young, I could buy all the hamsters I wanted as long as there wasn't more than 1 male. Now, you cannot put 2 hamsters together, no matter their age or gender. Other than that, they are great pets.

cyncerp 10-31-2010 10:17 AM

My kids had pet rats. Hamsters and other rodents are nocturnal, which means they sleep during the day. If you disturb them, they BITE. Rats never bit my kids, came back to their cage if they got loose, not down the register, to die and smell. You could feed them anything, never had to make an emergency run to the store for food. I just loved them, they learned tricks, too.

DeBora4BobbyL 10-31-2010 10:49 AM

These new pure breed hamsters just don't get along. They are temperamental than the ones I used to have. I think, eventually, we might put them together in the evenings or something outside their cages and see if they learn to tolerate each other. They are tame with humans though. It is other hamsters they become hostile with. Used to, I only worried about this between males.

justEricka 05-25-2011 08:47 PM

my son gave me 2 gerbils as a gift. they are pretty neat...yes they sleep alot..and are up in the night..and since they sleep in my room..i hear them all the time...but that doesnt bother me like it does some. they will sit in my hand and eat and take food from me. they also will come when you tap the side of their cage to see whats going on. no one messes with them but me...they get along fine, and i have 2 little balls that we put them in when i clean out the cage...i dont want anyone else messing with them, becasue if one gets loose, the cats will eat them. but they are sweet natured. i like them.

DeBora4BobbyL 05-25-2011 08:56 PM

Well, my DGDs hamster died night before last. We've had it about a year and a half. I understand they live up to 2 years. We've been trying to decide on another pet. I understand that mice make better pets because they aren't inbred. So, we are seriously thinking about going that direction. DGD wanted a guinea pig, but I understand they are very nasty and pee and poop a lot, which means cleaning their cage often. She loves chinchillas, but they cannot get wet because they have something like 60 hairs per hair follicle. They take dust baths.

RobertaD 05-26-2011 04:49 AM

We had gerbils as they don't bite as much as a hamster can/does. There is no way I'd have mice or rats as pets nor snakes!

Roberta

justEricka 05-26-2011 06:23 AM

we had guine pigs..they dont bite at all..never had one bite even when my dds were small..and not too soft touching...lol..

they were great..but take more time..because they will talk to you and want to hang out...ours was out of the cage alot of time....and the cats didnt bother them after the first...lol

DeBora4BobbyL 05-26-2011 06:27 AM

I did some research. Guinea pigs are fearful at first but can be very friendly once they bond with you. They also urinate very often and can smell. Hamsters of today at aggressive. I agree. Gerbils also make good pets and aren't solely nocturnal. However, they are very social and you need to have more than one as they aren't happy living alone. Mice make good pet, but are nasty. Rats are clean and don't urinate often and you can let them out of their cages and play with them without worry that they'll run away once you have bonded with them. I am about sold on getting my DGD a rat. All these rodents aren't much different except in size and tail length.