Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Single Parents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just curios, how many single parents on this board?

I've been a single mom for all of my dd's life, since her father left when I was two months pregnant. I am actually happy that I can enjoy the freedom of making my own decisions and I also have the pain of having to deal with things alone.

Does anyone else go through this?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Single Parenting

I have been single for almost 7 yrs. I have 2 kids 20 and 16. it is rough especially w/ teenagers but I have the final say, so that makes life easier.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been a single parent since my three kids have been 6, 4, and 7 months. Actually I have always been a single parent, I guess, since my ex had no intention of parentling! I had no problems with my daughter, but my sons, they are another story! They call me names, tell me they don't f***ing have to do what I f***ing say....and so the then-nearly 17 yo had to go elsewhere, I won't be treated in that manner. My younger son, who will be 15 in Oct. will be leaving shortly, too, because I am afraid we will get into a physical fight, and I am gonna try like h*** not to lose! He will have to go sooner than that.......I ain't gonna fight a boy like that.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

cyncerp.. this unacceptable behavior in your boys, when did it start?

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WOW..........you know....fighting like that with parents is probably more common in girls than boys. I've already warned my 12 year old DD, that any of that behavior will get her moved out.
I'd kick them out.......find them a safe place to go.....but make them understand that they cannot do that to you.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leasmom, you didn't say how long you've been the single parent. My story is the same as yours, he left when I was 8 weeks pregnant, after 18 years of marriage. So I've been single since my daughter was born, almost seven years now.

It's stressful, I feel like I want someone to take care of ME sometimes, but you do what you gotta do, you know?

I don't have a real strong support system, but at least I'm able to (just) support us both on my salary from work. My biggest fear now is that the car will break down, and I won't be able to afford to get it fixed!

But I'm a lot stronger emotionally now than I ever was before he left. More confident in what I can do by myself. Not that I would mind sharing bringing her up, but if I ever doubted I could do it myself, that's definitely gone now!

Good luck with your little girl. Such a precious gift you have, all to yourself, as do I. I really wanted a girly girl, but I got a little tomboy who excels at gymnastics and t-ball. Dresses? Sometimes. Barrettes in her hair? NEVER!!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've been a single mom for 7 yrs now!

Boy, where did the time go? I've struggled alot with dd, alot and we don't always have money to buy things except necessities and that can be hard on dd but she does have everything she needs and wants. She has her own t.v., room, toys, clothes, shoes, and has plenty of food and a few goodies. So, overall she's fine though it would be nice to have more money to take her places, do more things like my mom somehow did with 3 kids. I seem to not be able to do what she did as far as cultural activities etc. with just one kid!

I too wanted a girly girl and I got half of one-LOL!!! I was a tomboy and I kinda still am as I am not into clothes and only carry a purse because I'm expected too as a woman! But, my dd is very active and loves sports too-(t-ball, she's had gymnastics, dance, tap, and karate). But she excells at t-ball the most). She's starting Cheerleading tomorrow, which is right up her alley until Soccer season and then t-ball season! She loves getting her hair and nails done, but this is a kid at two that ran a touchdown in football-hehe-(she really had no ideal what she was doing!). And who is just now wanting girl only toys. She used to have both girl and boys toys. She loves dressing up and loves "Fashion" as she calls it and is just now transitioning into being more of a girly girl. But, just a month ago she was throwing a ball to get a kid out. It's kinda fun to watch her become more girly but at the same time...I was much tougher than she was as a kid and I hope she doesn't lose the little bit she has!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I understand about being a tomboy. I was a tomboy all the way. My dd was never a girly girl but she didn't want to go outside and get dirty. But my ds is a boy all the way. He thinks nothing of playing football in the rain. But I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi:
I was widowed at 38 with a 15 yr. old daughter. I had the pain of going through things alone. I often said,"If I just had another pair of hands to help." She was very mature for 15, but not totally grown at 15.
It was helpful for me to attend a Singles group at a local church. Although I didn't attend the church, was not even that denomination, they had good speakers and it was helpful to talk to other single parents. You might want to find such a group in your city.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

church group

That's a great idea. I never thought about that. I got involved with PTA and other groups and they helped a lot. My son plays football so there are always lots of parents there that can give advice and support.

Leasmom, I see where your daughter is cheerleading. that's great. It is good to keep your kids as active as you can.

Doris