Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Single Parents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi love2005...Welcome to Family Corner!!!

That is wondeful that you you are enjoying being a single parent....how old are your boys????

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Humble Amazing..

I find it amazing how reading other people's situations are. It truely makes a person not feel like they are the only one that has to endure the trials and tribulations of single parenthood.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences!

I've been a SM for 7 years, after 6 1/2 years of marriage. I have been lucky in the respect that my DS's father is mostly positively active in his life. I say mostly because his wife seems to pride herself upon 'stirring the pot' and making everyone's lives more stressful on a continuing basis.
I've had setbacks medically and have had to overcome a small strokelike thing that happened to me at 31. I felt bad yesterday when my 11yrold DS was trying to set an example to a 5 year old who was mouthing back to his mother.
My DS said,
"You should be nice at all times to your mom because she might not be here for very long."
It sounded like something his Father might have said to him. His father knows that I have possible ms but he doesn't know...I think.
I thoroughly feel that I am sooooo very blessed to have a DS like him!
I do owe a great deal to choosing an essentially good hearted person such as his father way back when.

Anyways,
Your not alone in your quests. Just merely sharing makes others feel better at times.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

blushing Still adjusting...

I am a widow also, since March 2005. It has been a very trying time and I still find myself looking for the other "two cents worth" but it's not there. My son is now 12, and has adjusted well since his dad has been gone... I know that we must keep a positive attitude and move forward. Everything is working out nicely - and we do a lot of activities together. Keeping busy, and having a routine seems to be what has kept our lives in line. Sometimes I worry about things that I know I cannot control, but everything always works out for the best!

Unknown
Old 11-08-2006, 01:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face It's tough.......but worth it

I've been a single mom for 6 years now. My children are now 9 and 11(almost).
Both of my children have had to deal with a lot of things that children shouldn't even have to know about. I think they are well adjusted kids, but they've also grown up a lot faster than they should have.
They are just now learning how to be 'kids' again. I don't want them to look back and blame me (or their father) later for them not having a childhood. They haven't seen their father for over 5 years and haven't spoken to him in at least 2 years.
I'm happy with the way things are. We all know our place in the family and things run fairly smoothly. Although we do have our moments!!!

Jen Cooper
Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've been a widow for 5 years, and a single mom with a daughter to raise for 12 years.
Her dad didn't take any responsibility for her care after I left him, and he died 5 years ago.
Not a problem for me.......he died of lung cancer @ his girlfriend's house...500 miles away.
Never even called to tell my daughter he was dying....
His loss.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've been a single mom for just over 3 years now and it's far better now than it ever was with my abusive ex-husband. To the kids it was verbal, to me verbal and physical. The kids and I moved to the other end of the State. I have four children, my ds is 19 and for a brief time moved back up north to live with his uncle. That lasted 2 years, long enough for him to finish his senior year at his old high school and work a year. When his uncle told him it was time to move out did my ex take my son in, having a 3 br apartment? No, he said his girlfriend said my son would "cramp their style". As I know the girlfriend, having spent time with her, that was not her saying that. So my son moved back down south with me. He's doing better than he ever did there, has a great full time job, just bought himself a car and is planning on attending college in January. I also have three wonderful daughters ages 14, 10 and 7. My girls are fantastic, beautiful creatures and I cherish all of my children. They never, ever complain about not having the current fashion or ask for this or that. Most of their clothes have been given to them by friends of mine and a lot had the tags still on, bought for kids that never liked them. My 14 dd is my rock, my pillar of strength and my best friend. She is an old soul, very responsible. I don't have to worry about what she's in to, she's responsible and level headed. Most of the time her friends are here and they all like to fill me in on the news. My 10 yr old is the most like me in terms of housekeeping, cooking, loves to help. She also goes behind her brother and sisters and turns off lights when they leave a room. The 7 yr old once in awhile asks for something but most times it's, for my birthday I'd like this if it's not too much money mom. I'm blessed, truly blessed with great, understanding children.

Lisa
Old 11-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am a single mom. Although my kids are all grown now, I raised them by myself.

I had to go into hiding from an abusive drunk when they were very young....we went where we had never been before and didn't know a soul. It was very hard and scary, but worth it. It took along time to get beyond what we had left and start our lives over again.
Cyncerp -- i wanted to share with you that i had alot of trouble with one of my sons in particular. i ended up sending him to a wilderness camp because i could see he was heading in the wrong direction, and i wanted to catch it before he ended up in alot of trouble, etc. It was a wilderness camp, not survival ones you hear all the horror stories about -- i always feel i need to stress that! It was the best decision i could have made for him. Not that he didn't get into some trouble after, but he made incredible improvements and got ahold of his anger, which was the biggest of his problems.
Funny, now he's the one that shows me the most concern, affection, etc.
I love all 4 of them dearly, and the 5 grandkids i have, and more to come, i'm sure!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I met a single mom at our son's Boy Scout meeting. We are becoming friends. She moved here from Iowa. Her ex-husband lives here as well. He hasn't been an active part of their son's life & made it clear he wants it to stay that way.

I am happily married but want to be there for her. I don't know what to say or do so I just listen.

She wants to meet some single parents. My dh & I don't have any single friends to introduce her to. She joined a singles group at her church but isn't impressed. Their is a church about 30 miles away from her that has a good-great singles group. But they meet at times that aren't good for her & her son. He has after school programs & sports.

Yesterday she had a ruff day at work & her son had a ruff day at school. They met us at Dairy Queen for ice cream & to talk then we walked to the school supply store.

My younger siblings aren't married but they are dating someone. My sis lives in Atlanta with her boyfriend. My brother lives in town with his girlfriend. They've always had a friend to talk to & made being single look fun.

What can I do to help???
Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Shelley, the best thing to do is to be there to really listen and let her sound off. I have wonderful friends that are married and it means a lot just to have someone listen. There are times I think they don't know what I'm going thru but then that's okay, just knowing someone cares helps. As far as helping her meet someone, that's a touchy subject as sometimes someone will set a single friend up with another friend, it goes sour and unfortunately the single friend gets upset and then your friendship falls away.

I'm a single mom and in the past have met men thru Match.com or Yahoo.com and although I've met a few good men that are still friends there are a lot more toads out there than princes. I'm not even subscribed anymore to any of that. When she's not looking is when she'll meet someone special, I know from experience.

Lisa
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face

While it can be tough sometimes, I am a single mother and have been for around 3 years. I was married for 10 years, and he will have nothing now to do with the child. She is 5 and doesn't know him. That is fine with me. He is mentally ill, and it is a long story. I am very happy to be a single mother.