Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Single Parents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle I am a single mom

& have been for almost 3 years now. ACTUALLY I have been doing it "alone" for 7 1/2 years, since the "donor" was never around (drugs & alcohol were more important).

I am having a real hard time right now. I lost my job last Oct & went on unemployment. In January, I decided to get my Medical Assistant Certificate at Ross while I was "off". Well, in March unenjoyment decided that I never should have gotten any money and now I have to pay them back $6,000 (& change). WELL I worked for my cousin (for cash) while I was in school. Not too hard financially, until ds school started and the hours wouldn't work. NOW I am on my externship (NOT PAID) and have no income. I only owe $600 on my mobile home but cannot pay a payment. Plus all the other "necessities" like electricity, phone, gas etc.

Anyway, the point is that my ds is not used to us not having money (even a little) and made the comment to me that if we went to his grandmas he would be bored then he said "I am sorry that I like to do fun stuff" I almost cried. He just doesn't understand that if he thinks things are tough, what must I be thinking?

I guess I didn't need to go into all of that, but I wanted LEASMOM to know that she isn't alone. The free things are out there, you just gotta hunt them down. (Most won't come find you

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been a single mom for 10 years

Being a single mom of five is NOT easy, I tell you that.. especially when the father is SUPPOSED to pay child support and is dodging it... I hate men!!!!!!!!!! ok not all of them... Just 99.99% LOL!!! I wouldn't trade my kids for the world, just their dad...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi:
I was a single Mother at age 38, widowed. Again a single mother as recently divorced. But, now my daughter is grown and has a family of her own.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've been a single mom since my husband and i separated in 1994. We never divorced, and he died in 2002 of lung cancer...so now I'm a widow, too.
My daughter is 13, and is an amazingly good kid...especially for all she's been thru. Her dad never kept in touch with her, or even told her that he was dying of cancer.
She never calls me on the phone, or leaves the house without telling me that she loves me. I make sure to give her a hug and kiss before letting her out of my sight, too. Guess that makes up for her father being so terrible to her.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Danyel:
I guess you didn't know you could appeal the decision from unemployment. I once gave them a hard time about a day's pay. It was the principal of the thing. They were going to send the office manager, and another person who would lose time off work to fight me. They finally dropped it. I just didn't want that on my unemployment record should I need it again.
Unemployment tried to tell me I could not go to college at night and collect unemployment. I found out the rules and they could not make you work a different shift than what you had been working. I had been working days, so my nights were "my own time" and they could not tell me what to do at night! I won on that point and went to college and collected unemployment too until I found a job! One unemployment clerk said I knew the rules better than she did. I read that book from from to back and over again while I stood in line outside the unemployment the year it went all the way around the building! Yes, I knew the rules and played by their rules!
There are many agencies that will help with food, medicine, electric and gas bills. You do have to search for them. A good place to start is with the United Way or Salvation Army. I know they are helpful in SC. I volunteered for the Sal. Army, helping in the office, after they helped me with food and referred me to other agencies.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Being single certainly has it's challanges. But I wouldn't trade the love and affection I have for my babies for the world. They Big kids now but they will always be my babies.

I have used Angel Food to help supplement my food budget it helps alot.

Good luck and have a great day
Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

UNEJOYMENT...

is what I call it. I tried to fight it, but by the time I got over being mad and finally contacted a lawyer, it was too late. Oh well. I have not paid them a dime, except that the State of Michigan kept my income tax refund, which was only $66. BUT the most recent statement I recd from Unenjoyment did not reflect the $$.

Oh well.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been widowed since 3/14/03.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cheryl

So sorry for your loss, I did not realize that your DH had passed away . I am sure that it has been quite an adjustment for you. Hopefully some other ladies who are raising their kids on their own will jump in and share their experiences with you.

I am not a single parent but have felt that way at times when my DH goes overseas for a 6 month period of time for peacekeeping or away on a career course. It is not easy. I found the hardest thing was never getting anytime to myself and not having someone else to discuss important decisions with the kids lives.

How about you?

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a single mom of three boys and I am very happy.