Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Single Parents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:37 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dd is doing cheerleading and I hope she loves it!

Tomorrow is her first real lesson!

I try to keep her active, I want her to look forward to something. I think it's important to encourage them in whatever they want to do.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

cheerleading

Leasmom, I have a question? where you live do they have little leage teams? that is where my son started playing football. He is still friends with some of the boys.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, they have both public and private teams

They have professional private teams and dd plays in the public, city sponsered team. She played for two years when we lived in Tennessee and when we moved here to Colorado, I had already sent the regristration fee and information via overnight mail so she was ready to go here. Her cheerleading is through the Boys and Girls Club that hired an independent company to host it. Soccer and t-ball, actually she will be going to softball now, is going to be through the city.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

To Leasmom:
When I was widowed, my granddaughter and I went to all the free cultural activities at the local college. In the summer, they had the Music by the Lake every Thursday night. It was a full symphony orchestra, first concert was always the "1812 Overture". When my granddaughter, now 16, didn't know her new address, I said, "Like the 1812 Overture" it is 1812 and told her the street name! We'd take a picnic dinner, and sit on the grass on the penisula where the bell tower is located on Furman University, Greenville, SC.
During the winter, the Military bands played in the auditorium free. My granddaughter not only wanted to hear the music, she wanted to see the instruments played, so we always got there early to get a front seat. Our time was not wasted as she ended up playing the cello!
On Tuesday nights, they had the outdoor activities on stage at Roper Mountain Science Center where they have a World Class Telescope. There are many free activities at the Center, but we enjoyed the Tues. night shows, sometimes clogging,sometimes bands, sometimes other shows. The parking was $1.
I also joined Parents Without Partners. You didn't have to have a child at home, just be the parent or step-parent of a child. I moved from SC to PA to work and joined the PWP gruop there. The family activities were open to all members and many times I went, always the need for an extra adult. One time at a picnic, a young boy wanted to tell his Mother about his "bad day". She said she had a bad day too and didn't want to hear it. I invited him to tell me about his day which he did. He then went off and played, happy that he got that off his chest. I would also "borrow" a child when we went to a restaurant and a woman had too many children to get the free dinner for each of them. One would become "my child" for the evening. I enjoyed being with the young children since my daughter was 18 and in SC.
Look through your local newspaper at the community happenings. There are many free things. I remarried and 10 years later am separated. I enjoy free music, jam sessions with banjos, guitars, mandolins, singers, gospel music, etc, free 3 nights a week and on Sunday at a bar-b-que restaurant for 2 hours.
I've also attended a Elvis Impersonator Contest, free for the community , sponsored by the newspaper. The Elvises I enjoyed the most were the 3 little three year olds. They all got an award.
I know it costs something in gas to go to things, but you can pick and choose here what you want to attend. There is something free going on every night.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Blondie, good advice

Now that we live in a bigger city-(still small but bigger than the one we just came from), we have access to free events and low cost ones as well. Dd loved going with me to browse yard sales, which they didn't have much of in our old town. We went to all 3 parades and for her birthday we went to the Zoo. Next I hope to take her to the Childrens Muesum. We're going tot he Chile and Frijoles Festival this weekend, though we may not spend a dime...dd doesn't like hot food anyway, so this is more for me than her. But, I'm gonna take her to the free day at the zoo, the Christmas light show, and I have a free ticket for the Circus. Our old town, there was no zoo, no muesum, no circus-(well, there was but one of their acts was kids hulla-hoopin!). So, while we can, we're gonna enjoy whatever comes...unfortunately, though there are alot of activities here compared to our old town, it's still not that many activities.

I do want to take her to see a ball game or a soccer competition, since she is into that. I just need to find out who the local teams are and how much it costs.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

To Leasmom:
Glad your new town has more free things that the old town. Someone suggested on another board to call the places in your town to see if they have free days as you have found out about your zoo. I think a call to the Chamber of Commerce would give you more places to call.
In the next town, where there is a minor league baseball team, they have "free nights". The Red Cross held one. The admission was a can of food. The local newspaper does a good job here covering the free stuff.
Tomorrow, the local hospital is having a free health screening day for repiratory illness, free cholesterol test, free blood glucose test, free blood pressure and a free massage. What a way to end the tour of the free health screenings! I'm ready for a free massage, even the 10 min. one!
Old 09-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Every time my college had those free health screenings

I always had then baby dd with me who didn't want to part from me and let me have my free massage. She had to be on my back or crying or something...god I wish I could have one of those things now. If I did the free health screening, I would have them check my blood pressure. It's up and I haven't worried about getting myself insurance since moving here 3 months ago, I was more concerned with dd but I think I better. I tasted a piece of salty turkey breast and could feel my blood pressure just shoot up! If I can't do that tomorrow, I'll do it Wednesday morning, got to call around.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Leasmom:
A walk around the block or around the mall would be good for both of you. It will lower your blood pressure and is a free thing. I've started walking in my neighborhood again. Yesterday, a small dog came barking at me but stopped at his fence. I was carrying my cane for protection as I saw 2 dogs the last time. We have a leash law but living in the country, they sometimes let them run. Not only will the walk lower your blood pressure, it lessens your stress level. You'd be surprised at what you notice taking a walk.
It's still a good idea to check on insurance too.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks...haven't walked around here yet

Not the nicest neighborhood compared to my old neighborhood which was slightly elite, though I was one of the po' folks living there. This neighborhood is much poorer with bars on both corners and 4 on the other street. Maybe dd and I can go to the park and walk. They have a really cute park, and after we fish, we could walk around and have fun.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

To Leasmom:
Good idea to walk in the park. You might also meet other parents with children your daughter's age and you might make friends for both of you. I took my granddaughter to the park when we were not attending other free events in Greenville.